Non-motoring > Phone to tell you if you're at risk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 14

Phone to tell you if you're at risk - Crankcase
I see both Apple and Google are "working on" the tech to tell you if you have come in contact with an infected person. All done by your phone talking to others via Bluetooth when in proximity to other people.

They seem to have thought about privacy and so on.

What do you all think? I guess it helps to get an alert two weeks after you passed a stranger somewhere that he was was infected and therefore you might also be, but it's a scary alert to get of course.

I think it's a good use of tech, if it works as described.

www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/21216484/google-apple-coronavirus-contract-tracing-bluetooth-location-tracking-data-app

Phone to tell you if you're at risk - smokie
I like the idea. I'm sure people will object but they are happy to open up their life onto Facebook and Twitter.

Tech is playing a quite large part in assisting where in the past people wouldn't have wanted to adopt it for one reason or another. I mentioned elsewhere about virtual appointments with the doc. People are video conferencing (though don't want to imagine how that works out for a testosterone-charged teenager whose basic instinct is to create the next generation), delivery services are more in use and so on.

This particular app seems to have a real role in protecting us. I've been on an Imperial COllege one fore a couple of weeks now which is a simple daily question and from which they are trying to track the spread.

I'm all for it.
 Phone to tell you if you're at risk - Zero
waste of time, far too few people walk around with bluetooth on. False sense of security far worse than general full time caution
 Phone to tell you if you're at risk - zippy
On BBC's Click last night they had a demonstration of some of the technology.

I guess if you have the app it will ask for permission to use Bluetooth or other technology as required.

They showed some tracking based on phones in New York and Italy. Within a couple of days the NY phones had connected with phones on the West Coast and the Italy phones connected across Europe. This was physical connections - not mobile chatter.
Same issue, requires everyone to have the app, and be honest about their status. Again false sense of security.
Surely something is better than nothing? Especially for those of us sensible enough to realise it isn't infallible.
Then you dont need it.

And no sometimes something is not better than nothing.
I suppose it's just too much to expect people to turn on their BT and be honest.

The muppets will falsely report they have the symptoms just for fun.
 Phone to tell you if you're at risk - Netsur
There is an app in Israel that works without BT. A person who is diagnosed with the virus is required to have their phone interogated by the app. It works out where you have been in the last two weeks. Anyone else who has downloaded the app is then advised if they have been in the same place at roughly the same time. If they have they click a button and the app provides advice what to do next.

it is all anonymous apart from the person who has contracted the virus. When i loaded the app it calculated where I had been for the last 14 days and told me that I not been near anyone with the virus. A few days it pinged to sugegst I had shared a location with a virus sufferer but the time of day did not match my specific timeframe, however it was close enough to make me think.
Not working well for the ultra orthodox community who refuse to have phones.
 Phone to tell you if you're at risk - devonite
I just treat everybod as if they've got it!

A decent app would be if it told you how many folk in your town/postcode had it.
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 12 Apr 20 at 19:26
 Phone to tell you if you're at risk - No FM2R
>> The muppets will falsely report they have the symptoms just for fun.

Absolutely. In a world where people lick supermarket products because they think it is funny then why would we trust anybody?

It's the thing that always strikes me about false news; how small must your life be when having lies accepted makes you feel cool?

The one advantage of the world without the internet was that the pond-life, amoeba and worms could not seek each other out and achieve a critical, self-appreciating, mass.
 Phone to tell you if you're at risk - Manatee
I might steal your last sentence.
 Phone to tell you if you're at risk - tyrednemotional
...but you couldn't do that without the internet.......
 Phone to tell you if you're at risk - No FM2R
>> I might steal your last sentence.

Please feel free, I've stolen several of yours over the years.
Latest Forum Posts