Non-motoring > Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 50

Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - Falkirk Bairn
3 weeks into lock down & dependent on others for food deliveries.

Needing
Gas for the weed burner, strimmer cord,weed killer .......

Last year I bought 4/5 canisters of butane 350gm from Home Bargains - £2 / £2.50 each (IIRC)
Logged on to Amazon - Amazon do not sell it but merchants do - Gas Canister £15.99 and free delivery same brand, same size etc

The £5 strimmer cartridge is £9.50...................

Looks like I will need to rely on No 1 son for help.

I expected to pay more for the gas but last year's price x say 6/7 is a rip off especially as there is more gas around they need to give it away - combination of CV, milder weather in Northern lands etc etc

Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - henry k
>>The £5 strimmer cartridge is £9.50...................

I am just reloading my Bosch strimmer but not with a whole new cartridge.
£2.25 for 15m of the thinnest 1.5mm replacement line, enough for several reloads.
Other thicknesses available, if your strimmer has enough power to cope with it.
I just wind it on the old reel. Is this not possible on your model ?
 Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - bathtub tom
Why use gas to burn weeds? I use salt water. I've an old plastic 5l container that I add water to if there's salt in it and add salt to if there's no salt, thereby creating a saturated salt solution. I use this in an old trigger spray (currently bathroom cleaner) for spot weeds, or a larger pressurised job about once a year.
This kills nearly everything, but is rendered useless if it rains within a couple of days.
 Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - Bromptonaut
Butane cylinders in Aldi, Home Bargains etc tend to be ridiculously cheap c/p with garden centres or Halfords/DIY stores but what you're quoted is silly money. I wonder though if it reflects cost of delivery for a hazardous product?

We've tried repeatedly to order a lawn feed/weed dispenser from Dobies (old one has jammed and cannot fathom why) but their website was totally overwhelmed. B&Q site was crashed but anecdotally anything you might want is out of stock.

Amazon came up trumps there albeit not until next week.
 Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - smokie
SWMBO was quoted end of May delivery for something on Amazon but it arrived next day...
>> SWMBO was quoted end of May delivery for something on Amazon but it arrived next
>> day...

They seem to give a worst case estimate, based on current problems affecting supply/distribution, but then dispatch at least some items much more quickly. Mrs B's webcam and my hair clippers both arrived a good week earlier than predicted.
 Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - Zero
>> >> SWMBO was quoted end of May delivery for something on Amazon but it arrived
>> next
>> >> day...
>>
>> They seem to give a worst case estimate, based on current problems affecting supply/distribution, but
>> then dispatch at least some items much more quickly. Mrs B's webcam and my hair
>> clippers both arrived a good week earlier than predicted.

Amazon are just resetting expectations, in reality much of the stuff arrives in the same timescale.

Under promise and over deliver is always a good ploy
>> Amazon are just resetting expectations, in reality much of the stuff arrives in the same
>> timescale.
>>
>> Under promise and over deliver is always a good ploy

Oddly, a shredder ordered for me through work this morning is promised for tomorrow.
 Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - VxFan
>> I just wind it on the old reel. Is this not possible on your model

I do the same with my cordless Black & Decker strimmer. A £1 reel from Wilko, which is something like 10 or 15 metres long will refill the spool 3 times.
>> >> I just wind it on the old reel. Is this not possible on your model
>>
Do not forget to secure the line when you start. Possibly a notch to hold the line.

>>A £1 reel from Wilko, which is something like 10 or 15 metres long will refill the spool 3 times.
I will remember that the next time I need another refill.
 Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - VxFan
>> Do not forget to secure the line when you start. Possibly a notch to hold the line.

No problem. There is a dedicated hole drilled into the side of the spool to insert the line into before commencing winding.

>> >>A £1 reel from Wilko,
>> I will remember that the next time I need another refill.

Shows how long it lasts ;) It's now £1.50 for 20 metres of the 1.6mm line.

www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-grass-trimmer-line-blue-16mm-x-20m/p/0197037

Other sizes and lengths also available.
www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-grass-trimmer-line-yellow-24mm-x-15m/p/0197039
www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-grass-trimmer-line-red-2mm-x-15m/p/0197038
www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-grass-trimmer-line-white-13mm-x-20m/p/0197036
 Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - CGNorwich
As has been said just buy the line and wind it on yourself. Forget about the weed burner and use a hoe. More efficient and no running costs!

Ive been impressed at what you can buy on line. Everything from parts for the toilet cistern to battterie, crates of wine and rinse aid for the dishwasher and much more All delivered swiftly and at very reasonable prices, Amazon Prime was a good investment.
 Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - Haywain
"Everything from parts for the toilet cistern........."

You haven't just replaced a close-coupled siphon, have you, CG? Any tips you'd like to pass on? Our house was built 22 years ago and a number of things are synchronously giving up the ghost - including the flushing mechanism on all 4 WCs :-(
No. Just the inlet valve diaphragm and a new lever for the flush which had sheared off. Have replaced the whole caboodle in he past though and it was relatively simple - I’ m no plumber! I always look for ha video on you tube. I’m sure there is one.
"I always look for the video on you tube."

I've seen the Youtube videos and they look very helpful; I just wondered if you'd any personal tips that others might have overlooked. As an example from recent experience, I can add a few tips to to the myriad already expressed on the Briskoda forum about fitting mud-flaps to a Karoq ;-)
Not really. Just make sure you turn the water off! Oh and use brass screws to secure the cistern to the wall so they don’t rust. Make sure they have a decent rubber washer between the. Cistern and the screw head and don’t overtighten.
>> Make sure they have a decent rubber washer between the. Cistern and the screw head and don't overtighten

I use a tradition tap washer - an easy source.
Found this for you. Having watched it gives all the info you need. It really is not too difficult m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj-5YXnY-_Y
"Found this for you. "

Thanks, I'll bookmark that one.
 Needing to buy bits & bobs for garden, house etc - legacylad
Haywain just use the inside ones
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 14 Apr 20 at 15:04
 Strimmer line - sherlock47
Having suffered years of frustration with strimmer line that breaks, and having tried every combination of line thickness with lubricant from talc to WD40, last year I bought a pack of some with a triangular cross section. It has been brilliant, cuts very well and never seems to break. Not sure where it came from but will have a look later for make when it warms up.
 Strimmer line - sherlock47
Correction not triangular , it is Star pentagonal cross section, cuts very well. Branded "Handy" 2mm red.

It used to be available from Screwfix but they now only have 2.4mm Amazon have run out.

The trade reviews are all enthusiastic, and if you buy the longer length packs it will probably see you out.
 Strimmer line - martin aston
Haywain I have just spent the morning cobbling together yet another temporary repair on our cistern flush. It’s an expensive pneumatic Dudley UK made unit but I have to replace the air button unit every couple of years. The pump button unit is £30 a time online. Funnily enough there are multiple suppliers of replacements suggesting it’s a common failure.

if it’s not too late I would counsel getting as simple a flush mechanism as possible, cable or rods seem more inherently reliable than pneumatic.

Also I am a fan of isolating valves but these are also prone to failure so if you instal these I suggest putting them where any leak can be detected and the valve replaced as necessary. I had one secretly leaking over the winter and it was a pig of a job to replace at arms length behind a fixed tiled panel.

Strimmer line - CGNorwich
"The pump button unit is £30 a time online."

What! You're pulling our chain!
 Strimmer line - smokie
Must be feeling flush...
 Strimmer line - Zero
Money down the drain
 Strimmer line - Haywain

m.a......

"if it’s not too late I would counsel getting as simple a flush mechanism as possible, cable or rods seem more inherently reliable than pneumatic."

I don't plan on changing from the current system which, I think, will warrant something like this -

www.screwfix.com/p/thomas-dudley-ltd-turbo-88-duo-flush-siphon-8-205mm/6655f

I understand that this more modern design is easier to maintain than the original currently in place.

Am I correct in thinking that the type that you describe i.e. pneumatic button, is the one with the button on top of the cistern that you have to press down, rather than the lever type like mine?
The thing is how long did the last siphon last? Ok that looks like a great design but its only going to save you work when you come to replace it and who know if they will still be making them fifteen or so years time.
 Strimmer line - Haywain
"The thing is how long did the last siphon last?"

We moved into the new-build house in June 1998, and all 4 WCs are becoming a little more temperamental to flush. With my limited knowledge of flushing machinery, I assumed that the type in the Screwfix link was about as bog-standard (forgive pun) as it got.
No thats a gee whiz fancy model

They are normally one piece. Like this one.

That means that when you need to replace it again in another 22 years time you will have to dismantle the cistern again.

www.homebase.co.uk/wc-replacement-syphon_p372106
 Strimmer line - Zero
>> No thats a gee whiz fancy model
>>
>> They are normally one piece. Like this one.
>>
>> That means that when you need to replace it again in another 22 years time
>> you will have to dismantle the cistern again.
>>
>>
>> www.homebase.co.uk/wc-replacement-syphon_p372106

Thats only for use if you have a handle to push down or a chain to pull.

Mine is an exposed close coupled button top and it needs one of these

www.amazon.co.uk/SV94167-Standard-Genuine-Santorini-Contour/dp/B00GW0C4K6

>> Thats only for use if you have a handle to push down
>> to pull.

Which is what Haywain has and needs to replace in his 22 year old cistern and why I therefore posted the link.

I’m sure your lavatory is a superior luxury performance model with all the trimmings.
 Strimmer line - tyrednemotional
.....and a low-mileage model, if recent history is anything to go by...

;-)
 Strimmer line - Zero
>> .....and a low-mileage model, if recent history is anything to go by...
>>
>> ;-)

Its been there longer than the sudden unplanned temporary disposal method.

Now its in high demand
 Strimmer line - tyrednemotional
...but the driving seat is hardly worn....
 Strimmer line - Zero
>> I’m sure your lavatory is a superior luxury performance model with all the trimmings.
>
nope fairly basic BnQ trade spec
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 15 Apr 20 at 02:17
 Strimmer line - martin aston
Haywain as far as I am aware the buttons and mechanisms on top of the cisterns are usually connected by rods to the syphon unit. They are around a tenner if bought separately from the syphon. The pneumatic ones have flexible tubing (like windscreen washers) and can be mounted on concealing panels rather than directly to the cistern. As it's just tubing it means you are freer in terms of button location.

If you are simply replacing a rod/lever mechanism with a like one then you can ignore my pneumatic issues. But if you were tempted by an "upgrade" then I would be wary.

Finally if it's just a sticky syphon unit due to hard water then I have had success in filling the cistern with strong descaler overnight and then generously applying WD 40 to moving parts. In my case the syphon unit comes out with a quarter turn which makes it easier to whip them out and treat them in this way.
 Strimmer line - henry k
I have had problems in the past with cisterns etc.
about 40 years ago I installed a close coupled double siphonic pan
I note a replacement, just the siphon, is now £70
www.replacementbathroom.co.uk/stelrad-doulton-allia--optima-siphonic-wc-siphon--air-extractor-4033-p.asp
Cross section drawing
tinyurl.com/wr76cjn
Lowering the cistern was a precise job and I snapped the plastic air extractor pipe.
With no spares available I had to splice it back together.

A few years ago i discovered the base of the pan was cracked but not leaking.
A small leak from the inlet pipe had wetted the floorboards which expanded them and caused the pan to crack.
Went to B&Q. " You have to order all pans except two models sir" .
I bought one and installed it. I have since discovered that it appears to be a Castorama product.
It now has two problems. the refill is very slow and the seat has detached.
I have RTFM re the refill and made no progress.
I obviously did not tighten the seat enough so my fault.
The pan has sides that hide the fixings so with a three foot wide room I think I will have to totally disconnect the whole lot to tighten one nut.
The only minor good bit of news is that the cistern is NOT attached to the wall.
The design has no holes to attach it so it just attaches to the pan.
An " interesting" French design.
So another DIY job :-(
 Strimmer line - Haywain
"An " interesting" French design."

Say no more, Henry, say no more. Was it a 'Renault', by any chance?
 Strimmer line - devonite
Whilst on the subject of cisterns:

The link-wire from the cistern handle to the siphon plunger has corroded through and snapped,allowing the plunger bar to drop down inside the siphon, the hole it used to poke through is only the size of a pencil, any bright idea's how to get it back out without dismantling the whole cistern please?
 Strimmer line - Bromptonaut
>> the plunger bar to drop down inside the siphon, the hole it used to poke
>> , any bright idea's how to get it
>> back out without dismantling the whole cistern please?

Magnet? , blu-tack on end of a thin screwdriver?
 Strimmer line - devonite
been looking for a long thin magnet, but hard to find! not sure of blu-tack in water tho!
 Strimmer line - henry k
>> Magnet? , blu-tack on end of a thin screwdriver?
>>
A glue on the end of a thin rod might work.
The drag of the diaphragm when lifting the piston means it has to be a good bond .
It might be heavy

If has a spring it will probably be a dismantle job.
tinyurl.com/wogadxv
Replacement demo showing the spring.
Shows why a replacement unit that can be dismantled is the choice.

Ask on a plumbers forum ?
Alas I think you need to replace the syphon. An hours work. See video above.
 Strimmer line - devonite
Yep! - been dreading that one! ;-)
 Syphon problem. - henry k
>>Alas I think you need to replace the syphon. An hours work. See video above.
( Not the video I posted.)

>>Yep! - been dreading that one! ;-)

Getting the parts is the first problem ?
Minimum is a doughnut.
See if the doughnut clamp is rusty and in need of a replacement.
Consider a new syphon unit that can be removed from within the cistern
else getting a new correct size diaphram might be another problem.
 Syphon problem. - CGNorwich
the whole thing can be bought for £7.99 on Amazon.

www.amazon.co.uk/Croydex-Cistern-Syphon-Grey-9-4x22x27-5/dp/B01CQFQTQ0

It really isn't that difficult. How are you managing at the moment, a bucket of water? You can't say you don't have the time to do it :-)
 Syphon problem. - devonite
We recycle the missus bath-water via bucket! ;-)
just tried the blu-tac tip - lost it! ;-)

just found a long thin drill bit, going to try an drill into it and see if i can jam the bit in enough to lift it!
 Syphon problem. - CGNorwich
Just think how impressed she will be when you get round to repairing it. :-)
 Syphon problem. - Zero
No chance, she will have no concept of how difficult it was or how much money he saved.
 Syphon problem. - legacylad
Works in reverse. With Mk1 Mrs LL I bought a luvly ( but awfully expensive even third hand) motor. I never told her how much it cost, but she loved driving it (fast). She eventually found out, and 6 months down the line it was ok. If I’d told her the amount at the time she’d have thrown a wobbly.
ps. The actual car was featured on TG and for my birthday she got me a video from the producer of the programme, which at the time was made at Pebble Mill ( wherever that is /was)
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 15 Apr 20 at 20:40
Latest Forum Posts