Non-motoring > National Archives temporarily free Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 4

National Archives temporarily free - Crankcase
Yet more (undoubtedly of limited appeal) lockdown entertainment. One for any history buffs.

The National Archives have made Some Stuff available free, for the duration only. Some of us may think they always should be free, but anyway.

In brief, if you are interested in things like military records, government papers, Domesday book and so on, have a look before you have to pay again to access them.

You need to create an account is all.

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/digital-downloads/

Incidentally, if you have an interest in truly free archives, then look at the French site, Gallica. Stuffed with pictures, photos, books, letters, drawings...and not by any means all in French either.

I spend a lot of time poking about at Gallica.

gallica.bnf.fr/accueil/en/content/accueil-en
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 1 May 20 at 18:52
 National Archives temporarily free - Duncan
Can I look at my personal military record?
 National Archives temporarily free - Zero
Most service records post 1920 are not held in the archives at Kew. Found my Great grandfather WW1 medal card, and the officers diary for the day he fell near Ypres
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 1 May 20 at 23:13
 National Archives temporarily free - zippy
Thanks for the pointer!

Need to look up Mrs Z's grandfather who was wounded in France in WW1.

He was from a desperately poor family and lied about his age, joining up at 14.

Looking at a family photo from the time there was nothing of him, the authorities must have known so either ignored it out of a need for numbers or took pity.

He was found wounded by shrapnel after a battle and hidden from the Germans by nuns who nursed him back to health.
 National Archives temporarily free - sooty123
>> Can I look at my personal military record?
>>

You'll have to write to the MoD, there's a form online you can fill in. I believe it's free if it's about your own service records.
Latest Forum Posts