Non-motoring > Cine film to "digital" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 6

Cine film to "digital" - Bobby
My dad had a load of old cine films and at some point, probably late 80s early 90s, he set about recording all the films by projecting them on to a screen and videoing them with his new Ferguson full size VHS tape camera.

At some point I got these VHS tape recordings transferred to DVD at a guy in a market stall. Brother has now re-edited them, cutting out a lot of the crap and they bring back lots of memories obviously.

Here's the thing, it turns out my dad still has the original cine films and we are thinking of how we could get these done again but better quality. I see some places advertising cine to dvd/usb transfers but what technology would they actually use to do this?

I am wondering if we could get our hands on a projector, is this something that would easily be achieved nowadays using a decent mobile phone set up on a tripod pod, filming the projector screen? Could play about with blackout rooms etc?

Anyone had a play about with this sort of thing and had any success?
 Cine film to "digital" - Manatee
www.wexphotovideo.com/reflecta-super-8-regular-8-scanner-1646345/?mkwid=saqCkPgoE_dc&pcrid=310558796833&kword=&match=&plid=&product=1646345&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-r71BRDuARIsAB7i_QOhwpbaMiZnZVP_9o4NzCNUDeNf9wsG4nDJW7XiLntgo2AH7ojc1M4aAsQ2EALw_wcB
 Cine film to "digital" - Duncan
I do enjoy a nice long URL.

In these difficult times, it's one of the few pleasures we have left. I say yah, boo and sucks to tinyurl.com/
 Cine film to "digital" - Zero
We are non conformists on here - Yah Boo Sucks

Back to the post, while probably too expensive for a one off family exercise, thats remarkably cheap for a piece of kit like that.
 Cine film to "digital" - Crankcase
Silent only though.

I have a load of silent super 8 family type things in the loft from perhaps 45 years ago. Also a 16mm silent thing I took as an excuse for not shooting at things and marching up and down in the CCF.

I think they're all best left there.
 Cine film to "digital" - Fenlander
This is something we were slightly involved with as a business in the VHS era so I know the usual quality from back then.

You will very likely get a far better result with a second hand projector bought from Ebay/Gumtree projecting onto a screen or light wall and filming with a digicam that does full HD. Phone might even be OK but it's useful to have the exposure, optical zoom and white balance etc settings on a reasonable camera.

Often the results are as good or even better using a white/cream emulsion wall than a proper reflective screen as sometimes the screen can excite odd effects in the digicam.

Cine projectors are worth little now (I have two in the garage loft which cost £4 each couple of years back, original boxed with leads and working)... the pull up screens are also worth little... I threw several away last year.

An initial look on Ebay might make it look as if prices are a lot higher but avoiding the more popular brands and going for something like a Boots model will still give a good result and such projectors should be no more than £10-£30 on Ebay or £5 at a boot sale type venue. Facebook marketplace is quite good too often with folks selling off their late dad's setup for £30 or less.

So I'd encourage a DIY "something to do in lockdown" go at this yourself.

I also use this method for slides to digital image and it produces a good result.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 5 May 20 at 10:05
 Cine film to "digital" - Zero
>> Silent only though.
>>
And of course usually slightly the wrong speed!
Latest Forum Posts