Non-motoring > Painting ranch style fence Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Painting ranch style fence - Bobby
I put up my fence about 3 years ago but never painted it. Nows the time.

It’s about 20m long and has 5 straps.

What’s best way to paint it for both quality of work and for my back? Do the full 20m of each strap and then start the next one or do, say, 1m linear lengths and do all 5 straps?

Plan to use a fence roller that I found in my DIY stuff.
 Painting ranch style fence - devonite
Assuming you are doing both sides, I would start on the back first with the posts (by brush) and the underneath of the rails, then I would start on the rails, then move to the front and do all the rest with the roller. I would do each individually to ensure no part was missed. The idea is to do it all once and none twice! ;-)
Last edited by: devonite on Fri 8 May 20 at 11:03
 Painting ranch style fence - smokie
I re-did mine earlier this year (after it was "too cold" for the paint, which said don't use under 10 degrees or something) and it needed two coats due to being a bit patchy, though the second coat was pretty much a quick slosh over. Didn't use a roller though, just a large brush.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 8 May 20 at 11:22
 Painting ranch style fence - Lygonos
Have always found 2 coats gives a much better finish, and the second coat goes on quicker than the first.

Do it right, man :-)
 Painting ranch style fence - Terry
Depending on height I would find a chair to sit on - massively reduces backstrain particularly on lower rails.
 Painting ranch style fence - Bobby
Think it’s fair to say I did all of the above at some point!

Metre length sections, then full boards, then using paintbrush for tops n bottoms, then do all the bottom boards together etc etc.

But it’s done though will probably need a second coat!
 Painting ranch style fence - smokie
I do find that a decent bit of my favourite music on the iPod helps a boring job go quicker...and I think painting qualifies as just about THE most boring job.
 Painting ranch style fence - CGNorwich
In a way that’s what I like about painting, you don’t have to use your brain and so it’s a perfect time to listen to something on my phone. An audio book is perfect as you don’t have to change channels or select something new every hour or so. I can stream stuff directly to my hearing aid so no wires to get in the way. Turns routine jobs into a pleasure.
 Painting ranch style fence - bathtub tom
>> I think painting qualifies as just about THE most boring job.

I don't mind, it's the preparation I loathe.
 Painting ranch style fence - MD
Get someone else to do it :-)
 Painting ranch style fence - Mike H
>> I do find that a decent bit of my favourite music on the iPod helps
>> a boring job go quicker...and I think painting qualifies as just about THE most boring
>> job.
>>
Not quite, I think watching it dry beats doing it by a small margin :-)
Latest Forum Posts