Non-motoring > Hot Tubs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

Hot Tubs - Bobby
These would appear to be the must have garden accessory during lockdown. Many folk suddenly posting photos in tubs ranging from huge fixed plumbed in things, to the layzeespa inflatable types.

I am intrigued to know the running costs of these things - anyone have one?

Even some of the smaller inflatable ones seem to have at least 5-600 litres of water. That must surely cost a fortune to heat up and keep warm for duration of your session? And then to do it all again the next day?

I have been to holiday cottages with outdoor fixed hot tubs and they always seem to be permanently on with the big thick cover over it when not in use.

Anyone any ideas of running costs?
 Hot Tubs - Manatee
www.happyhottubs.co.uk/blog/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-a-hot-tub

I don't agree with some of this. They say it's cheaper to keep it warm all the time. Makes no sense. It will lose more heat when it's hottest.

I've never wanted one, but I asked a friend of mine who has one how often it is necessary to change the water. He said a couple of times a year. I went right off them when I heard that. He left his switched on too - they are insul'ted apparently.
 Hot Tubs - zippy
It was suggested by the gas man that it is a good idea to fill it up from the boiler where a kw of gas is 4p compared to 12p for electricity.

We have one in our garden left by the previous owners. It seems to work but have never used it.

Might try in the summer if the weather is good and I get some spare time.
 Hot Tubs - legacylad
My friends in the USofA have one. They brought it with them on their latest house move. She uses it several times a week, whereas her hubby rarely does. To maintain proper hygiene standards it does take time and money....always shower before entering, drain, clean and refill at least every month, check the chemical levels weekly and adjust accordingly.
I’ve spent weeks in there ! They live along Highway 50 in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada....hot in summer, cold ( often with snow) in winter. Our favourite time to use it is winter, especially when it’s snowing. Margerita time! Perfect for star gazing on a cold, clear winters night.

I don’t have specifics but it costs a small fortune to run, but for her it’s money well spent.

Another pal of mine had one on his patio. Used regularly by him, his wife and teenage sons. As his lads grew into their later teens they would hold hot tub parties on a summers eve. It was at this point that my pals wife sent him away on golfing weekends. No good for his BP. Just saying.
 Hot Tubs - Falkirk Bairn
A son lives in Texas - the house came with a pool & a hot-tub extension of the pool.
The pool & hot tub are not used until March at the earliest - the water is heated by gas.
It costs about £10 for the hot tub as it is pretty big.

The big heater in the sky heats both the tub & pool from April onwards.
Pool chemicals are about $300 every 3 months - the pool pump runs 6-8 hours per day filtering water - I have no idea what that costs in running costs.

Summer electricity cost are huge 100 deg for much of the summer.
 Hot Tubs - legacylad
Probably doesn’t snow in winter....but I love sitting in a hot tub, baseball cap on (sorry) drinking alcohol and star gazing on a cold night. Equally good fun when it’s snowing heavily. And you can fart with impunity. But always get out to pee !
 Hot Tubs - No FM2R
I had one in Chile. It was in sort of a conservatory. I've no idea what the running costs were but I bet they were huge. The thing was a complete PITA. I can also tell you that putting bubble bath in them to see what happens is a significant mistake.

There's also one in the ski lodge I use which is equally pointless.

It's not much better than a bath, just bigger and for more than one person. It takes a ton of maintenance and gets dirty if you look at it wrong.

I really see no benefit in them at all.

Now saunas on the other hand........
 Hot Tubs - CGNorwich
Hot tubs are surely the height of naffness. Right up there with patio heaters, trampolines in your garden, plastic grass and a caravan on the drive. Middle class social death

:-)
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 15 May 20 at 20:08
 Hot Tubs - No FM2R
My girls & their friends used to spend hours jumping on the trampoline.

But I entirely agree about hot tubs.
 Hot Tubs - sooty123
Chap I used to work with starting selling them on the side, ended up moving into it full time. Started about 5 years ago full time, sold like hots cakes, as soon as stock came in it went out. Him and the wife had flash 4x4s with private plates. Seem to be doing pretty good for themselves. Not seen him in a couple of years though.
 Hot Tubs - CGNorwich
“ Him and the wife had flash 4x4s with private plates. “

I would expect nothing else from a purveyor of hot tubs.

:-)
 Hot Tubs - sooty123
>> “ Him and the wife had flash 4x4s with private plates. “
>>
>> I would expect nothing else from a purveyor of hot tubs.
>>
>> :-)
>>

All about the image!
Used to do a roaring trade at the country shows I believe. Probably not so good this year I would suggest.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 16 May 20 at 09:35
 Hot Tubs - legacylad
>> “ Him and the wife had flash 4x4s with private plates. “

That’s me. Although I don’t have a hot tub, whenever the opportunity arises I’m straight in.
If the cap fits and all that.
Maybe I should change my moniker to Capt Naff
 Hot Tubs - Zero
>> Chap I used to work with starting selling them on the side, ended up moving
>> into it full time.

His Hot tub?

>>Started about 5 years ago full time, sold like hots cakes,
>> as soon as stock came in it went out. Him and the wife had flash
>> 4x4s with private plates. Seem to be doing pretty good for themselves. Not seen him
>> in a couple of years though.

Drowned in his hot tub?
 Hot Tubs - Dave_
>> Hot tubs are surely the height of naffness. Right up there with patio heaters, trampolines in your garden,
>> plastic grass and a caravan on the drive.

When we had the caravan, it was stored at a compound. And the trampoline's long gone...

Bottoms, it's just asterisked out the whole bit I wrote about inflatable hot tubs. Don't do it kids, they're cumbersome, fiddly, expensive to run and no-one else in the household wants to go in the things.
Last edited by: Dave_ on Wed 20 May 20 at 22:41
Latest Forum Posts