Non-motoring > Honesty not always best policy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: martin aston Replies: 11

Honesty not always best policy - martin aston
The oven heating element stopped working last week. I got a new one online and it’s a few minutes work to take off four cover screws and then three screws holding the element itself. It’s no more complicated than changing a plug.

Well today it stopped working again, throwing the RCD on whichever of three oven elements I switch on. I suspected a wider fault. I rang the local repair man For him to look at it and decided to be upfront in what I had done so he could allow for the possibility of it’s not being a straight element change. However he says he won’t touch it as it’s been interfered with by someone non qualified, breaching his insurance.

I can understand a tradesman being annoyed when a punter makes a hash of something and then comes for help with a bag of bits but this is a user replaceable part. I also might expect to pay top rates as a rap on the knuckles but was disappointed that he refused point blank. I just don’t buy the insurance angle.

Any way I will just need to put the faulty one back in and callout someone else without saying anything.

A cautionary tale for all us diy folks.
 Honesty not always best policy - Zero
Leave the new one in, tell the next repairer its been changed, and blame it on the bloke who wouldn't come out.
 Honesty not always best policy - smokie
Yeah, else the new bloke might well want to change the same part again and you'd have to 'fess up...
Thanks guys. It's an expensive cooker but the element was on offer for only £23. No great loss if it's binned. In fact I prefer it sto as not to be stuck in the middle between part supplier and repairman if it's not clear what the problem is. Also I think it would be a bit cheeky to expect them to use my part.

Meanwhile it's solved for now as I opened up the access panel again and ensured the push joints twixt the element and the wire tails were fully home. It took about 5 mins now I know the drill. Its working for now but I expect it may fail. At the least the RCBs are new and very sensitive so it's safe.

If I do need call someone out I will not offer any info other than its not working. I am sure most repairmen don't care about the history once they've opened it up and can charge a hundred quid just to fit and test another one.
Last edited by: martin aston on Sat 23 May 20 at 14:52
 Honesty not always best policy - hawkeye
I don't follow how his insurance is 'breached' by someone not qualified attending to a fault. Does repairman have to guarantee to his insurers the history of everything he looks at?

Anyway, part of the kitchen requirements for our new build house was an expensive NEFF induction hob with a 3-year warranty (I think). 10 days out of warranty, one side of the unit goes bang and plunges the house into darkness. The supplier had gone out of business in the meantime so I looked at the NEFF web site. I was able to find the hob I'd registered and change the date of purchase to be within warranty. I'd like to have italicised "change the date of purchase" so I've repeated it.

Not really believing what I'd managed to do; engineer booked, new gubbins fitted and a bill for £280 presented, marked "paid". Phew!

You couldn't make it up, could you?
 Honesty not always best policy - sooty123
I don't think it's anything to do with insurance, more likely a polite fob off, not fancied following up on some ones DIY efforts.
 Honesty not always best policy - smokie
Yeah I thought the same.

Most trades seem to be able to be fairly choosy what they do and don't do, round here anyway...
 Honesty not always best policy - zippy
A sign at the local indi garage...

Shop rate: £45 per hour

If you looked at it: £55

If you touched it: £65

If you watch: £75

If you offer advice on how to fix it: £100

Honesty not always best policy - No FM2R
Brilliant.
 Honesty not always best policy - legacylad
A very good friend of mine had a Motor Factors business. Behind the sales counter was a sign “ prices subject to fluctuation depending on customers attitude”.
 Honesty not always best policy - zippy
Should add, that this indi, fixed my Datsun 120Y for the cost of 2 pints in the late 80's when another indi up the road wanted the equivalent of a months pay.

Both took the distributor cap off, both saw the loose wire. One fixed the wire, one wanted to replace the distributor, spark plugs, coil etc.

He is my go to for Mrs Z's car now its out of warranty and my parents' cars too.
Zippy, I like the price list!
Last edited by: martin aston on Sun 24 May 20 at 12:56
Latest Forum Posts