Non-motoring > The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 37

The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Zero
app.ex.co/stories/skyush10/the-sky-national-general-knowledge-test

my score 87
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Lygonos
Got 90.

Fair number of guesses which I reckon were evenly split right and wrong.

And you can get pH lower than zero!
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - commerdriver
87 for me
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Robin O'Reliant
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - No FM2R

The ones I got wrong I genuinely didn't know and not one of them bothers me. I am strangely untroubled by not knowing the names of Beyonce's boyfriend or Beckham's son for example.
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Manatee
85 which I thought pretty poor for multiple choice with 2 options, and mostly easy questions!

My celebrity knowledge lets me down.
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Crankcase
79. Obviously i didnt even read the sports or celebrity ones as all of them were always going to be a fifty fifty guess.

>> me. I am strangely untroubled by not knowing the names of Beyonce's boyfriend or Beckham's
>> son for example.

I'm sure both are devastated.
>>I'm sure both are devastated.

No, I looked it up. One is called Jay-Z and the other is called Brooklyn.

"Devastated" would be a stupid name, even in an industry full of stupid names,
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - sooty123
Scored 86, struggled on the arts and literature and the sports ones like tennis and cycling just guessed at them.
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Bromptonaut
Not tried yet but suspect lack of current music/arts and sports would let me down.

>> "Devastated" would be a stupid name, even in an industry full of stupid names,

I'm sure its better than X Æ A-12 Musk
Oh, has he changed it from "Tit"?
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Lygonos
Think they changed the "12" to "XII", so that's that sorted.
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Dog
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - martin aston

And Magna Carta was not “signed”. It was sealed.

History pedant, that’s me!
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - CGNorwich

"And Magna Carta was not "signed". It was sealed"

If you want to become a proper history pedant you really need to do a little more research :-)

The word "signed" as far as treaties are concerned has historically included the affixing of a seal

The first use the OED records of the verb used in this way was by King John's son Henry III, saying a document was "sened wiþ vre seel (signed with our seal)".

Funnily enough I've just read a biography of Henry III. Not a king I knew much about, and after reading it you can sort of see why. However, it seemed to me that his reign and various doings laid down the roots, pretty much, of the kind of English class system that endures today.

But I'm not an historian, just interested in history.

Its strange how the history of the Plantagenets is widely unknown in this country. Schools seem to focus on the Tudors for some reason but to my mind the Plantagents are just as interesting if not more so.

I recomment "the Plantagents" by Dan Jones as a very readable introduction. In fact all his books are very readable. "the Templars" is also very good. Proper history not all that pseudo-stuff.
"the Templars" is also very good. Proper history not all
>> that pseudo-stuff.

But the pseudo stuff is much more interesting in a dan brown kind of way.

But on the side of reality, (I'm sure Bromp will agree) this has always been a fascinating site/sight

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Church
"But the pseudo stuff is much more interesting in a dan brown kind of way. "

The actual history of the Templars is fascinaiting and mostly unknown. Well worth exploring . I tried to read a Dan Brown book once. I managed a chapter or two. Pure unmitigated unreadable poorly written twaddle and b*******.

>>
>> I recomment "the Plantagents" by Dan Jones as a very readable introduction. In fact all
>> his books are very readable. "the Templars" is also very good. Proper history not all
>> that pseudo-stuff.
>>

Thanks CG, will look out. I would also recommend Kenyon's The Stuarts, which I've also just read, but I'm assured by a friend of mine who actually IS a proper academic historian that it's "very old hat" these days. I've yet to discover what intricacies make it so.

As to Templars, get ye to Amazon Prime, for this fun. Even has Henry Lincoln in it, which can be no bad thing. Hoot and a wheeze.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B077QKWV3H
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - bathtub tom
>>But I'm not an historian

Do you wear an hat on yer 'ed?

;>)

>> Do you wear an hat on yer 'ed?
>>
>> ;>)
>>

Only when visiting an hotel, where I will have a egg for breakfast.
Funnily enuff, I'm 'into' herbs and stuff like, and I've seen "a herb" written as "an herb", many times too.

Shirley it should be a herb?, or am I an Herbert :)
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Duncan
>> Funnily enuff, I'm 'into' herbs and stuff like, and I've seen "a herb" written as
>> "an herb", many times too.
>>
>> Shirley it should be a herb?, or am I an Herbert :)

We've done all this before, haven't we?

tinyurl.com/yapn75ga

I understand it is because English is derived from Latin/Italian and 'H' didn't appear in those languages, if you cite the word 'hotel', it is because that word is imported. b******ised in other words.
Thanks Duncan, I'd still write "a Herb", as that's the way my brain wants to 'see' it.

The article I was reading in which "an herb" appeared was in indeed from the USA.
It is not related to how the word is written, it is related to how the word is pronounced.

Herb is pronounced "herb" in English and so is 'a'
Herb is pronounced "erb" in American and so is 'an'.

A word with a silent 'h' is 'an' an with a pronounced 'h' is 'a'. Whether or not the 'h' is pronounced seem to largely rely upon which dialect or accent is involved.
>>Herb is pronounced "erb" in American and so is 'an'.

That explains a lot actually.

Being a cockney, I would pronounce herb as an 'erb, a horse as an 'orse, a house as an owse.

Part laziness, part 'abit but, I can (and do) speak 'propa like', when I put my mind to it.

:o}

The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Manatee
>> It is not related to how the word is written, it is related to how
>> the word is pronounced.
>>
>> Herb is pronounced "herb" in English and so is 'a'
>> Herb is pronounced "erb" in American and so is 'an'.
>>
>> A word with a silent 'h' is 'an' an with a pronounced 'h' is 'a'.
>> Whether or not the 'h' is pronounced seem to largely rely upon which dialect or
>> accent is involved.

That's the commonsense view and I agree with you.

I don't know, but I am imagining that Churchill for example would have said "an historic..." with an aspirated h. The rule being applied then which I have also seen is that "an" is used when a word beginning with h has an unstressed first syllable as in historic, horrific, heraldic, etc.

Fowler makes reference to that but says it's pedantic. I wouldn't do it unless I was being deliberately annoying.

The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - martin aston
CGN that’s the last time I trust QI. ;-(
>> CGN that’s the last time I trust QI. ;-(
>>

You need to use a reliable source like Wikipedia :-)
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - zippy
CGN probably knew Magna Carta and both of her sisters!

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain? Brave Hungarian peasant girl who forced King John to sign the pledge at Runnymede and close the boozers at half past ten! Is all this to be forgotten? - Tony Hancock
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - zippy
82 - rubbish on celebrities and sports.
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Dave_
92 here. Only half-a-dozen guesses. In my defence, I do like a good pub quiz.
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - smokie
84. Annoyed that I missed some sitters through trying to watch TV at the same time.
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Dave_
I just got the century of the Magna Carta signing wrong on Jay's Virtual Pub Quiz. It was in 1215, as any fule kno.
 The Sky National General Knowledge Quiz - Netsur
88 with three stupid errors, one fat finger (I know there 2.54cm in an inch) and a handful of guesses.

Latest Forum Posts