Non-motoring > Battle of Bamber Bridge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 5

Battle of Bamber Bridge - zippy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bamber_Bridge

Given the horrible incidents on the other side of the pond and the protests / rioting around the world because of that incident, I thought a little vignette of UK life in WW2 would be interesting.

Coloured US troops supposedly fought segregation in a small Lancashire town.

The pubs in the town came down on the side of the coloured soldiers.

I wonder if it had something to do with the ratio of coloured to non-coloured soldiers in the area - canny lot those Lancastrians! :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 7 Jun 20 at 15:42
 Battle of Bamber Bridge - Bromptonaut
The author Nevil Shute used a similar scenario as part of his book 'The Chequerboard'. In that case the trouble was in the imagined Cornish village of Trenarth but black enlisted men, white officers with attitudes of the deep south and the responses of the local populace were very similar.
 Battle of Bamber Bridge - R.P.
Thanks Bromp. Read most of his books, this one survived a recent cull (unread)...will now be on my list.
 Battle of Bamber Bridge - Bromptonaut
>> Thanks Bromp. Read most of his books, this one survived a recent cull (unread)...will now
>> be on my list.

Quite a good one I think.

Common Shute technique where one character provides a link/narration between several sub stories. In this case the only common ground is a period in hospital during the war with the 'narrator' seeking then out one by one some years later.
 Battle of Bamber Bridge - Dog
I was reading about this quite recently funnily enuff:

www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/wild-west-mutiny-unfolded-cornish-4104580
 Battle of Bamber Bridge - Fullchat
".... morale improved and cases of VD decreased."

Interesting :S
Latest Forum Posts