Non-motoring > Smart door locks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 4

Smart door locks - smokie
Does anyone have experience of these?

Older daughter has seen them (specifically a Yale one which are touted as an easy replacement for a standard rim lock) and asked for one for her birthday.

This is the one tinyurl.com/y7bab2pu £90 but it seems to need additional module tinyurl.com/yc33umtt £59 and a Smartthings hub at £79 to do the more sexy stuff, which to me is getting a bit pricey for a new lock!!

I came across one in an AirBNB and the guy was able to operate it remotely, and assign us a new one for the duration of our stay.

What I'm not clear on is what fancy stuff she would be able to do with the extra bits (the basic stuff looks like Pin code, key card, key tag, remote fob). Her main hope is, I think, keyless entry whether it be touchpad or RFID, but with the extra bits which use your phone I suspect you can do proximity etc).

So I was just wondering if anyone has one and whether they seem a good product.
 Smart door locks - Bobby
Dunno about these but as technology gets cleverer like in car keyless entries, the way round them seem to get easier (buy a kit off ebay). Many high end cars now sitting with krooklock and disklocks.

Smart door locks - No FM2R
The common weak link is always human behaviour. And the stronger the technology gets then the more the human weak link is exploited.

There used to be no need to buy complex repeaters from EBay when a teaspoon would start any Vauxhall or Ford.

And repeaters will fall out of fashion as people stop leaving their keys somewhere accessible.

It reminds me of a security company in Bogota that I worked with some years ago. They used to deliver important documents in a brief case and their couriers kept getting donked on the head and the brief cases stolen. So they started locking them on the couriers wrist thus avoiding all carelessness, corruption and head donking.

So the couriers started losing their hands.

Escalation is always a dangerous thing.
 Smart door locks - zippy
>Human behaviour...

A jewellery manufacturer I know operates from a seedy row of converted terraces and posts everything out standard mail. Several tens of thousands pounds worth a day and never been robbed. The owner maintains its the low profile and shabby premises that keeps them safe.

They burn their carpets every couple of years as well, to recover the gold fragments caught.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 9 Jun 20 at 21:17
 Smart door locks - No FM2R
Absolutely.

I have worked in dodgy places and the safest way is to dress tatty and drive an old POS.

The whole bodyguard, reinforced car etc. etc. is just a way of attracting attention you simply don;t want.
Latest Forum Posts