Non-motoring > Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 56

Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53006006
with "immediate effect", the station confirmed on Thursday.

Apparently responding to the news, fellow presenter James O'Brien tweeted: "We got our station back".

Is this the last we will hear from him ? Shirley not.

Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - zippy
What a shame, couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

Next!
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Rudedog
I usually hit the button and turn over at 6pm before he gets a chance to start...

Used to be a regular in the Tesco Express near us.

Wonder what happened?

Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Manatee

>> Wonder what happened?

Nobody is interested in him any more? He's a spent firework. Even when he wasn't, he was was one of those dreary fountains that goes on forever.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - CGNorwich
I guess his views no longer chime with the views of the majority and most importantly advertisers do not want their products associated with his views. He si past his sell by date.

My feeling are that the country is belatedly realising that the nationalisim jingoism and flag wavingthat surrounded Brexit is no longer appropriate.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Zero
LBC is not on my station saved list. It was ok up to 1985, not listened since.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - No FM2R

>> Wonder what happened?

I'm guessing this....

"This week the 56-year-old compared Black Lives Matters protestors to the Taliban, for demolishing statues of slaves traders."
I guess he will be looking for a job in Trump’s election campaign
I can't believe even Trump would be interested in that hate-filled, spiteful, bitter little man now he doesn't lead the battle cry of a large group of people.
>>for demolishing statues of slaves traders.
>>

I can't help feeling that I agree. There can be little more despicable than enslaving generations of people and working them to the death. Raping, torturing and killing them as you saw fit.

We executed people for doing this in the 40s. We certainly shouldn't have statues to our own lot of vile slave traders and murders, regardless off what they did to ingratiate themselves in to polite society.

Evil beyond measure and I can't believe that they didn't know what they were doing was wrong or what became of their slaves when they got to their destinations.
>>I can't help feeling that I agree.

With whom? Not Farage i hope.

>I can't believe that they didn't know what they were doing was wrong

A huge conversation, but essentially the slaves were not regarded as "people" either legally or in the minds of society.

It was the gradual assertion that they were 'people' that ultimately did for the slave trade. Awful, and quite shocking, but nonetheless quite true.

Not so different to the feudal system really which was also pretty awful, though not as bad.
>> >>I can't help feeling that I agree.
>>
>> With whom? Not Farage i hope.

Christ no, I thought the rest of my post made it clear. By the punishments of the time, the slave traders deserved the gallows.
"Rule, Britannia!
Britannia rules the waves:
"Britons never never never shall be slaves."

Written at the height of the slave trade. Well it only says Britons doesn’t it?
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Manatee
>> I can't believe that they didn't know what they were doing was wrong

They were just livestock to the slave traders, not people.

The mores of the day make a lot of difference.

OK it wasn't slavery, but I was shocked by the portrayal of segregation at NASA in the 50s and 60s watching the film 'Hidden Figures' a week or two back. Rosa Parkes refused to give up her seat on the bus in my lifetime, although at 2 I wasn't taking much notice.

The Black and White Minstrel Show was on TV here in Britain until 1978! I never liked it but that was nothing to do with the blackface, it was just not questioned by the mainstream and went on for 10 years after anti-racists complained.

The fact that compensation was paid when slavery was abolished, but was paid to the owners, not the slaves, says everything.

Did it ever occur to the Europeans who added chunks of Africa, the Americas, and Australasia to their empires that the people who lived there might have had land rights?
>>They were just livestock to the slave traders, not people.

I wonder. Or was it just a moral convenience? Depopulate the continent, obtain beyond cheap labour, take ownership of the huge mineral wealth of the continent.

These men were intelligent. It may have been part of societies customs at the time but I am convinced that they knew they were committing what were effectively crimes against humanity to sentient people and ignored the horrors because of the huge wealth that ensued!
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - R.P.
"Horses" as the current slang goes, it's still going on in every town and city and in the countryside.
I would have thought it would have been preferable to leave statues and references to slavery in situ as they were. However change the narrative, rewrite the history of such emblems as a lesson about the shear inhumanity of such practices.

removing all references to such stuff is a bit like holocaust denial surely?
>>removing all references to such stuff is a bit like holocaust denial surely?

Depends on what is being removed. "all references" then yes, perhaps.

But surely a statue glorifying one of the leaders in such a trade is a different matter? We wouldn't expect a statue glorifying the Nazi in charge of a death camp to stand, would we?
>> But surely a statue glorifying one of the leaders in such a trade is a
>> different matter? We wouldn't expect a statue glorifying the Nazi in charge of a death
>> camp to stand, would we?

Remove them but don't destroy them, put them in a slavery museum - which I believe was suggested by the manager of such a museum in one of the papers recently - then you can explain why these statues are no longer in places that glorify their existence and can explain how they achieved their massive wealth through the barbaric practice of enslaving generations of others around the world.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 12 Jun 20 at 03:18
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - smokie
I know it's not quite the same as slavery but most of us still exploit cheap foreign labour by buying goods, especially clothing, which are manufactured in the sweat shops around the world. And of course here at home many industries are frequently staffed by cheaper foreign labour.
>> I know it's not quite the same as slavery but most of us still exploit
>> cheap foreign labour by buying goods, especially clothing, which are manufactured in the sweat shops
>> around the world. And of course here at home many industries are frequently staffed by
>> cheaper foreign labour.
>>

True and I do wonder if CV19 will bring some manufacturing back to the UK, at least for the short term until we forget all about the problems of long supply chains again.

I do work with a "trendy" clothing manufacturer as a client and they have a policy of providing a living wage for all of the staff in the supply chain and it's checked up on in detail. A T-Shirt from them costs about £30 and its about the same as a T-Shirt made in a sweatshop elsewhere.

(They are also using technology to recycle water used in their factories as the amount of water used to manufacture cotton and paper (bag) products is horrendous and deprives the local population of affordable clean water.)
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Terry
I didn't like the man or his views, but without his intervention/interference Brexit may never have happened. Like him or not he is both persuasive and a very good communicator.

On the slavery front we are re-writing history in a way we may come to regret. Africa is still home to a thriving slave trade yet protestors prefer to focus on events more than 200 years ago

Britain enjoys a relatively prosperous place at the global top table because of its past. This included being involved not only in the slave trade, but also an exploitative colonial power, and using military force impose British views upon the rest of the world.

Most of these behaviours would not now be acceptable (or feasible). But they were part of our history and we should learn from them rather than try to expunge them from the record.

>> Africa is still home to a thriving slave trade yet protestors prefer to focus on events more than 200 years ago

All too often people seem to believe that all historical negative behaviours, including racism, slavery and others, are white to black. That is not the case.

We recently helped a white Brit in his 70s escape slavery that he'd been in for 15 - 20 years.

Very few negative behaviours in this world are confined solely to being white to black. Mostly they are just a human trait from any race with some advantage to any other race without advantage, and sometimes within a race, again depending on the gap between those with advantage and those without.

For example, African people were commonly sold into slavery by African tribal leaders.

No race on the planet is entirely innocent or entirely guilty of historical crimes against humanity.
slaveryandremembrance.org/articles/article/?id=A0003

www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/an-african-country-reckons-with-its-history-of-selling-slaves/2018/01/29/5234f5aa-ff9a-11e7-86b9-8908743c79dd_story.html

www.theguardian.com/world/2009/nov/18/africans-apologise-slave-trade

But we should not be glorifying those who did it and we do not need statues of them, even in museums.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 12 Jun 20 at 05:14
>>which are manufactured in the sweat shops around the world

I understand your sentiment.

However, what's a sweat shop? A factory paying a wage in a foreign country that a Brit. living in the UK would not accept??

So stop it happening and then what?

And then the previous sweat shop employee can be all secure and happy in knowing that nobody will let them work for a wage that a British person didn't approve of.

Of course, they'll be jobless and starving, but I'm sure the warm feeling will comfort them.

It is a complex matter far beyond the newspaper headlines and simply saying it is a bad thing is simply signalling one's own virtue at the possible expense of the person actually involved.

Change has to be made, of that there is no doubt, but the simple vilification of something that we do not understand simply to make ourselves feel better is not the way to solve it.

And that's the problem. Many a person,Obviously I do not mean you, feels that they've done their duty by hating 'sweat shops' and there their effort stops.

In Chile the minimum wage is about £350 per month. Gross. And many,many people work illegally for less than that. Yet, by way of example, rent even for a one bedroom hovel that you would not live in, will cost £200 of that. We estimate for out beneficiaries that £120 per person per month is a reasonable food bill. A Big Mac Meal is about £6 and a Latte from Starbucks is £4. Public transport to and from work is about £2 per day, so £50 per month. Never mind health insurance or God forbid family expenses. Plus bills which probably total to somewhere between £75 and £100 per month.

Yet a director at a supermarket will earn around £150k per year and a senior manager in a mining company around £120k.

Massive, massive inequality. As in most of the "Third World'.

But you will not help these people by simply taking jobs with pitiful salaries away from them, their children and others.

Rather we should be encouraging companies to use sweat shops. We should want Tommy Hilfiger, Apple and whoever else to use sweatshops in third world countries. And then we should insist that they publish their pay and conditions and details of the contributions that they are making to those countries. And we should praise the ones that are making changes, not the ones that shut them down.

But instead we simply vilify them in the press and social media forcing them to shut the places down or make them uneconomical in the local environment..

Virtue signalling, and I know Bromp says it's an old and outdated phrase, has never been a more relevant and more damaging behaviour than it is now.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Runfer D'Hills
Unless there was a significant change in consumer attitudes/demand away from "buy lots, buy cheap" to "buy once, buy good" the fashion industry in particular will continue to wrestle with supply chain issues of this nature for the foreseeable future.
Strange isn't it. People will campaign, complain, demand, but they won't actually alter their habits or wants which is the one thing that would cause the change..

True of so many areas.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Runfer D'Hills
>> True of so many areas.

Absolutely, and it's not just "people" and their spending habits, it's hard wired into our society at corporate level. Banks are far more comforted by, and supportive of businesses with regular and active low ticket cash flow than low volume high ticket operations.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Lygonos
Is the inequality in Chile the result of them not giving a toss about other peoples' wellbeing, or is that trait the result of the inequality in the first place?

You have previously mentioned the predisposition to rioting for a significant section of the populace, and the lack of personal responsibility - surely these are to some extent features of a society that feels disenfranchised and powerless to ascend the ladder pulled up by the wealthy above them?

Chile is peculiar. It really is, and even if I had ultimate power I truly don't know what could be done to fix it.

EDIT: I've just written all the below and then come back here to attempt a tl:dr. They are a fantastically complicated people who don't behave rationally. They are disenfranchised. They are powerless to ascend. They don't want to put any effort into changing that, they just want to be given *more*. [more money, cars, rights, televisions, food, etc. etc. Just more].

To generalise...

It is absolutely true that the country is run by the mega-rich with little or no care for anyone else. It is also true that the poverty gap is massive, and that the poor are not only seriously poor, they are also the majority.

That, and everything that goes with it, is true here and common to most Third World / Developing countries.

However, there are some peculiarities which I have never come across anywhere else, and most certainly not to the same extent.

For example, imagine you could divide the population in 20 layers from richest to poorest. It wouldn't matter where you put your hand in that stack, anywhere form the higher to the lower, wherever you did the people in that sector would despise all those in higher layers and mistreat all those in lower layers. All Chileans treat all Chileans badly.

Chileans feel no personal responsibility for anything. Anything that goes wrong is someone else's fault. Anything that requires effort should come from other people.

They believe that if you want change then all you need to do is demand it and wreck stuff until someone gives it to you.

They are oblivious to others. They will walk three abreast down the sidewalk and not even be aware of someone behind them. And if they become aware they see no reason why they should move to one side.

Courtesy is essentially seen as subservience. And Chileans are terrified of subservience. Letting someone through the door first is essentially the same as saying that they are more important than you.

However, they couple that with an absolute belief that everybody else should let them go through the door first.

They take hypocrisy to a new level;

COVID-19 brought in, before the quarantine, that only essential travel was permitted. Chileans absolutely believe that their own travel is utterly essential and so they do not follow any restriction. However, they equally strongly believe that nobody else's travel can be that important and complain that the police aren't stopping them.

The weirdest of all is their approach to quality; They attach no value to it. None, at all. Not quality in anything. Of course they know what quality is, and moan that they don't get it. But it makes no difference.

Years ago Gringos came here and bought large SUVs with us so we could go into the mountains. Of course we have Landcruisers, Cherokees and similar. The Chinese started importing truly awful, but very cheap, SUVs. And they went down a storm. Of course, they were rubbish, but they were cheap.

It applies to education. Most Chileans see the value in passing exams at school and hopefully getting a degree at University. In fact, the right to do so is part of the rioting. Be clear though that they have absolutely no interest in a quality education, they just want the qualification. Equally teachers don't care if they get a good education or not, they just want them to pass.

Friends of mine are Professors in some of the better universities. The cheating is rife, absolutely rife. However, nobody cares. Report a child for cheating, get a parent in your face. Stop a child cheating, he gets worse marks, you get your boss in your face.

They have no acceptance of "if this, then that". Or the passage of time.

e.g. I was with the CFO of a particular company who are responsible for many of the overhead cable in Santiago. And there are a lot. They break, get damaged and deteriorate. I was discussing the potential for burying them. I don't remember the figures now, but the point was that burying them cost about 5 times as much but lasted about 20 times as long and was virtually maintenance free.

As far as the CFO was concerned that meant they should stay overhead. Because, in order to bury them then *he* would have to authorise a massive payment. And ok the company and the customers would reap the benefits over the years, but how would that help him? No, he wanted to write the smallest cheque possible.

Anything you put down will be stolen. Anything, anywhere. Petty crime is at astronomical levels. Though strangely physical crime is not. This is a fundamentally safe place to be. As long as you don't count mental health or the pollution.

Health care is very good if you can afford insurance. Most people cannot. There are arrangements for the poor, they're not very good. And don't include drugs. So if you should need long term drugs and your poor, then you're screwed. Chileans who ned drugs today think this is scandalous. Chileans who don't need drugs today DGAF. And nobody cares about tomorrow.

A fair sector of the protestors believe that COVID-19 is actually just flu and everything else is made up by Pinera and his team simply to suppress them and stop the protests and riots.

They are deeply resentful. The British Embassy chartered a plane and flew some Brits, and others, back home today. The reaction of the Chileans? This was typical because the British get special treatment because they're white. (As an aside not only were some of them not-white, some of them were Chileans permanently resident in the UK).

They were not resentful because they wanted to go to the UK, they just couldn't see why someone was getting something and they weren't.

Most Chileans as individuals are pleasant people. As a society they are appalling. Many individual Chileans are decent people, some of them are very good friends of mine. But in groups, awful.

It is so complicated and very frustrating.
p.s. in case that wasn't enough.

Much as Chileans not being able to ascend is bad, even worse is that the opposite is true.

If you're poor, then no matter how good you are or how hard you work you will never be rich.

If you're rich, then however useless, incompetent and lazy you are, you will never be poor.

Hard to say which is more damaging. They just absolutely do not care about each other.

Finally, if you think my opinion of Chileans is bad. Then you should hear my wife's opinions. And she *is* Chilean.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 12 Jun 20 at 09:06
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - legacylad
Think it’s bad in Chile?
Here in the Y Dales we’ve got sideways rain so evening drinking soirées in friends gardens, or lounging on the first tee chatting with friends whilst drinking decent beer in the warm evening sun is not on the cards.
And this morning at sparrow fart I was woken by bleating sheep
Stop moaning
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Lygonos
Thanks NoFM2R, fascinating insight.

I wonder if your wife's opinion is simply a continuation of the Chilean "everyone else is an undeserving dick" mentality, or because she is aware the society could be very different.

Sounds like a place I could earn a lot of money but feel little joy in doing so.

Maybe a bit like the US when you're always covering your backside fir someone trying to take advantage of/sue you - the difference inbthe States being an outward smile/politeness while not really giving a toss about others.

Revolution is an inevitability in societies unable to evolve I fear.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - legacylad
Chile is somewhere I’d like to visit, as is Patagonia and other regions and countries. I’m probably too old for 3 months on an overland tour. That opportunity never arose as I was too busy working and a ‘year off’ didn’t really exist. You left school and started work the next day. At least I did. Something else on my to do list.

I think the kind of society NoF describes would annoy the carp out of me. I let ladies of any age through doors ahead of me, let people in a supermarket queue behind me with only a few items go ahead of me, always look behind me after passing through a shop door to hold it open, and pick up other people’s rubbish whilst out walking in the countryside. It’s no big deal. Just how I was brought up. I wouldn’t fit in with Chilean society.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Haywain
"Finally, if you think my opinion of Chileans is bad ....."

In two posts, we have an explanation why multiculturalism cannot work.
Only if you want to read it that way.

It's certainly not my experience, which is considerable.
Firstly, I intended just pointing stuff out rather than promoting my own view one way or the other.

I absolutely get the points about "working as a slave can be better than the alternative" but wasn't that also more or less true if you go back 200 years or so in the colonies? The nature of the slavery is less personal these days but I expect it will be seen as pretty similar in the future.
Huge outcry abut the Fawlty Towers "Germans Dont mention the war" being removed.

Its roger all to do with the Germans as the papers are going on about, but because of this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns0uRr6aPQE
I see *that* Fawlty Towers episode is being reinstated.

Personally I think that once they've shot themselves in the foot by knee-jerk reacting to complaints and being scared of being to blame for something, there is no credible way back.

A suitable click through warning such as you get with other inappropriate content ought to have been sufficient.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Bromptonaut
>> A suitable click through warning such as you get with other inappropriate content ought to
>> have been sufficient.

I think that's what they've done now. It should of course have been there in the first place, similarly with other usages like Gibson's dog in the Dambusters film.
But where does let end?

I’ve just listened to the collected Sherlock Holmes stories on Audible. Some of Sherlock’s descriptions of people would be described as racist today.

Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Haywain
"I’ve just listened to the collected Sherlock Holmes stories ..........."

Better get reading quickly, CG, after the statues are toppled, the books will be burned.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Rudedog
From listening to R4extra this 'warning' has been quite common especially before some of the older comedy shows, something along the line of 'the comedy reflects the attitudes of the time' not sure if it goes as far as saying 'some may find offensive'.

.....which seems more than reasonable. Much of the comedy I watch is preceded by such warnings but I simply turn it off if I find it offensive (usually because of being too sweary or obsessive over bodily functions), which is a choice open to all.
As Talking Pictures TV (some real gems shown on there) features heavily films from the 50's and 60's and TV from the 70's, nearly everything has a warning shown before hand.
>> As Talking Pictures TV (some real gems shown on there) features heavily films from the
>> 50's and 60's and TV from the 70's, nearly everything has a warning shown before
>> hand.
>>

Was watching the series "Danger UXB" and despite the warnings some scenes were heavily blurred where they were not before.

I noticed the same with an episode of "To The Manor Born", where posters at a railway station were blurred. I can only guess it was something like this: 1979to1983.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/saville.jpg?w=1024&h=653
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 14 Jun 20 at 11:39
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Crankcase
We watch a particular programme on the History channel. There are often trucks, drivers, diggers and other heavy plant.

Some of them have the company names blurred out on the truck and the driver's clothes, and some do not, even in the same scene. We wonder whether the blurred ones haven't paid History for the free advertising or something.

>>We wonder whether the blurred ones haven't paid History for the free advertising or something

Exactly that.
Some of the reality cop shows eem to blur out the perps face while others don't. I'd assumed it was whether they'd given consent but that isn't the pattern - AFAIR some shows do it and some don't.

Maybe it's to do with their attitude to litigation.
>>Some of the reality cop shows seem to blur out the perps face while others don't

You'll see that some shows blur out some faces and not other faces. It's a combination of permission and position in the legal process.
I fully understand why they often blur out children's faces these days, but we saw some documentary the other day with archive film from the sixties where they had done so. It was clearly added for current broadcasting.

Seemed odd as the kids shown would be my age now. As it can't be cost free to do it there must have been some explanation.

Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Bromptonaut
>> I fully understand why they often blur out children's faces these days, but we saw
>> some documentary the other day with archive film from the sixties where they had done
>> so. It was clearly added for current broadcasting.

I suspect if it's re-broadcast then today's regulations apply. Depending on what the children disclose about themselves then GDPR might be engaged. OTOH it must be a lot easier to blur them then to deal with intricacies of consent. It'd be hellishly expensive to try tracing them, even if just to show you'd tried.
>> >>We wonder whether the blurred ones haven't paid History for the free advertising or something
>>
>> Exactly that.

Ah, thank you.
Whilst filming anything in public is fair game there is a right to privacy as Channel 5 found out to their cost:

hamlins.com/cant-pay-well-take-it-away-privacy-claim-against-channel-5/
Appears the main complaint is that they were filmed in their bedroom which is (presumably) not a public place!! :-)

But I get the point....
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 14 Jun 20 at 18:13
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Dog
Any Nigel Farage fans out there :o)

He's on talkradio.co.uk/radioplayer/live/talkradio.html at 9:00am this very morning talking to Mike Graham.
 Nigel Farage leaves radio station LBC - Dog
Erm, 10:00am, 9:00am has been and gorn!
Latest Forum Posts