Non-motoring > any one to blame? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 27

any one to blame? - devonite
Or is it "just one of those things"?

This morning the bin-men came around at 9.00am, emptied the bins and left them outside folk's gates as usual, due to the strong winds I brought mine in straight away, however our neighbor 2 doors down left his out, and at 11.00am I discovered the wind had blown it into the back of my ole Skodi, causing a large dent in the tail-gate, as above is there anyone to blame or is it just one of those things?

Ta!
 any one to blame? - Bromptonaut
The only person to blame is the owner of the bin. You recognised the issue; why could he not see it too.

Depending on T&Cs he might be able to claim accidental damage on insurance (buildings?) but it will be a 'fault' claim.
 any one to blame? - Fullchat
Slightly different scenario. Neighbour goes to work. Bin emptied. Neighbour has no control of the bin. Should the refuse collectors anticipate the potential effects of the strong winds and lay it down?
 any one to blame? - CGNorwich
It all comes down to whether the damage to your property was the reasonably foreseeable consequence of the actions of your neighbour leaving out his bin out for a few hours on a windy day.

Indeed it was foreseeable why did you not move the car or indeed the bin yourself?

Just one of those thins I think. Thats what we have insurance for

any one to blame? - Manatee
I have been known to move my neighbour's bin back to the front of their house, in self-defence.

They've lived here longer than I have, but they don't seem to be able to decode the council's bin collection schedules. I don't understand this because they could just wait and see what everybody else puts out.

They frequently put the wrong combination of bins out, and take a day or two to take them in again. Any that are not emptied, being the wrong ones, just stay out until their turn comes.

Takes all sorts.
My neighbour is A head teacher and Her husband works for an accountancy firm. Nice people both but after five years or so living here they still get confused over which bin is to be collected when. The council leaves stickers on their bin. The rota is on line and only last week I have advised them that they have left out the wrong one.
 any one to blame? - henry k
>>The council leaves stickers on their bin.
Such a simple prompt but.....

>> The rota is on line..
In addition our council sends up an A5 sized colour coded calendar .

We have a green lided bin for the tip stuff and a blue liided bin for recycling.
The blue lid has handles but the green one has nowt so less excuse when its dark.
What could be easier to remember :-(
Last edited by: henry k on Mon 29 Jun 20 at 16:21
Our big green bin is the rubbish bin
Our small green bin is the food waste bin
Our grey bin is the green recycling bin if you see what I mean
Our brown bins is for green garden waste

The waste and recycling bins are collected on alternate Mondays except banks holidays when they are collected on Tuesday.

Extra waste must be retained and kept for the next collection
Extra recycling can be left by the bin but only in a cardboard box

The food waste in the little green bin is collected every week in a separate collection but on the same day as the waste and recycling bins

Nothing eligible for the grey, brown or little green bin should be put in the big green bin.

Only The following can be put in the grey bin

aerosol cans (empty)
cardboard (clean)
cartons including juice, soup, tomatoes, milk and smoothie containers
Easter egg boxes, plastic egg mouldings and clean foil wrap
Christmas decorations (paper ones without adhesive tape, ribbons and glitter)
food and drink cans
foil and foil trays - clean (aluminium)
glass bottles and jars
junk mail (without the plastic wrapping)
magazines and catalogues
newspapers
paper and card
plastic bottles and lids (including trigger and pump spray bottles) - milk, squash, shampoo, washing up liquid, detergent, bleach, tablet bottles, sauces, cooking oil, roller-ball bottles
plastic food pots, tubs and trays including yoghurt pots, margarine tubs and meat, fruit or vegetable trays
shredded paper and envelopes including those with windows
wrapping paper (clean and without adhesive tape, ribbons and glitter)

It all quite straight forward really

any one to blame? - Zero
>> Our big green bin is the rubbish bin
>> Our small green bin is the food waste bin
>> Our grey bin is the green recycling bin if you see what I mean
>> Our brown bins is for green garden waste

Our big green one is the garden waste (tho some houses are brown)
Our small green one is waste food
Our big grey Bin is rubbish
Our big blue bin is recyling

>> Only The following can be put in the grey Blue bin
>>
>> aerosol cans (empty)
if the plastic button is left on its not recycled
>> cardboard (clean)
some of it
>> cartons including juice, soup, tomatoes, milk and smoothie containers
not if its waxed
>> Easter egg boxes, plastic egg mouldings and clean foil wrap
only some of them depends on the plastic
>> Christmas decorations (paper ones without adhesive tape, ribbons and glitter)
so none of them then
>> food and drink cans
not the lids
>> foil and foil trays - clean (aluminium)
>> glass bottles and jars
no lids
>> junk mail (without the plastic wrapping)
depends on the paper
>> magazines and catalogues
not glossy
>> newspapers
>> paper and card
some of it
>> plastic bottles and lids (including trigger and pump spray bottles) - milk, squash, shampoo, washing
>> up liquid, detergent, bleach, tablet bottles, sauces, cooking oil, roller-ball bottles
not if you leave the trigger on or l;ids on the milk bottles
>> plastic food pots, tubs and trays including yoghurt pots, margarine tubs and meat, fruit or
>> vegetable trays
Not black ones
>> shredded paper and envelopes including those with windows
>> wrapping paper (clean and without adhesive tape, ribbons and glitter)
so none of them then
>> It all quite straight forward really

Actually no, Uk recycling is a joke. variable by region from useless to bad

There is no joined up plan from producers, to council collection to recycling centre, without it its a waste of time.

Take our glass recycling bins marked out Clear, Green coloured, people seperate them into the right hole.

The lorry comes along and tips all the glass into the same container on the back.
 any one to blame? - No FM2R
Wot Zero said plus more....

www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53181948/why-is-uk-recycling-being-dumped-by-turkish-roadsides
www.norfolkrecycles.com/bins-at-home/happens-items-recycle/
You do make me laugh.
Why does a post by me of an interesting example of what seems to me a decent recycling system refuting the idea that perhaps not all recycling ends up on a Turkish roadside make you laugh? Sometimes you seem determined to appear as condescending and superior as possible. It really is not a good look but for some reason you appear to enjoy it. A bit sad really for someone who is obviously an intelligent man.
 any one to blame? - Zero

So we move from a fabulous glossy advert to the real story

www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/recycling-rates-in-norfolk-amid-plastic-pollution-crisis-1-6208237
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Jun 20 at 21:29
 any one to blame? - Manatee

>> Take our glass recycling bins marked out Clear, Green coloured, people seperate them into the
>> right hole.
>>
>> The lorry comes along and tips all the glass into the same container on the
>> back.

I always thought that must be psychology - so we think we are really doing something. A bit like cake mixes that requite an egg, which could be easily have been included in the powdered ingredients.
Here they do exactly the same; separate them out and then drop the whole lot in back of the same truck.

I've often wondered why they need separating anyway.
 any one to blame? - sooty123
I think they are all sorted out by machine even if they are broken, I vaguely remember it from some 'how do they do that type of show'.
Something to do with being able to tell the colours by the amount of light that passes through them.
The bins probably haven't been changed over because no one can be bothered. The new glass bins here just have one for all colours. Although I think most ends up in landfill anyway, mainly due to the amount of imported wine.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 Jun 20 at 03:38
 any one to blame? - Duncan
>> We have a green lided bin for the tip stuff and a blue liided
>> bin for recycling.
>> The blue lid has handles but the green one has nowt so less excuse when
>> its dark.
>> What could be easier to remember :-(

We did all this quite recently - didn't we? I know I am old, but my memory ain't that bad!

Right.
After the bin men have been get the staff to put the freshly emptied bin to the rear of the un- emptied bin. Then next week, the bin to be emptied will be at the front. Even I can understand that.
 any one to blame? - bathtub tom
>> My neighbour is A head teacher and Her husband works for an accountancy firm. Nice
>> people both but after five years or so living here they still get confused over
>> which bin is to be collected when.

My neighbour asked me how I knew which bins to put out when. I replied that I wait to see what he puts out and then put out the other ones.
 any one to blame? - Crankcase
Our council offers the bin schedule (ever changing) in a google calendar.

I subscribe to that. I also get Alexa to read me tomorrow's calendar events every night at the same time. Once a week (ish) therefore I get an automated "It's green and blue bin tomorrow" message from Alexa, just at bin putting out time. Or black. Depending on what flavour they fancy this week.

It therefore catches all those variant days at Bank holiday weekends and so on.

Incidentally, I notice tonight Alexa can now also read your email in the UK - that's been a long time coming. It couldn't do that about a month ago, when I last checked.

any one to blame? - PeterS

>> Incidentally, I notice tonight Alexa can now also read your email in the UK -
>> that's been a long time coming. It couldn't do that about a month ago, when
>> I last checked.
>>

Some would say that Alexa has always been able to, and has been, reading your email. But now it will also read it out to you ;)
 any one to blame? - zippy
Some of us at work get to see demos of upcoming (banking) technology.

One, put on the back burner a bit since phone apps but still being worked on is voice banking and passwords. The system can recognise your voice. Distinguish human and recording and tell stress levels (used for truthfulness). You could perform basic tasks like - pay my gas bill or transfer £100 to SWMBOs accounts. It used linguistic rules to figure out what was wanted - so "pay my gas bill" or "pay the gas" etc would all result in the same outcome - the sort of tech that Alexa uses today.

The tech I like was the moving pin pad for ATMs. Rather than remembering a pin number you remembered a pattern like an L made of numbers 7,4,1,2 on the standard keypad. A grid would be displayed on the screen with different numbers in the same place - like 9,3,4,8 and that would be the number you typed as the pin. Makes shoulder surfing much more difficult.
 any one to blame? - Bobby
Why on earth would you want Alexa to read out your emails to you? OK, if you are blind fair enough but come on?

Here are todays Groupon offers on Rattan furniture
Having erection problems?
Please submit your gas reading

etc etc
 any one to blame? - Zero
Just one of those things. As the bin men were the last to touch it and left it outside the property your neighbours household insurance wont cover it.
 any one to blame? - Dog
Learnt that one when we first moved 'up here' 9 years ago.

Bin got blown well down the (car free) lane. Neighb advised me to chuck a lump of granite in the bin.

any one to blame? - R.P.
You'd be struggling to claim from anyone. May be worth speaking to the council, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Woke up in the night - the wind was gusting. Remembered that the BBQ was parked next to the MX5 under a roof that joins the house to the garage, bit of a car-port I suppose. Went out to check it - I would have been toast had it toppled.
Scraping a distant and vague memory, I am sure someone tried this not too long ago. And I think the basis was that the bin had been habitually left out long after it should have been.

As I recall though, it did fail.
 any one to blame? - devonite
Had a quiet word with him this morning, very pleasant he was about it and offered to "go halves" getting it repaired! - also promised to take his bin in earlier! - think that's about the best result I may have hoped for ;-)

Latest Forum Posts