Non-motoring > Cheers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Cheers - legacylad
Only one more sleep before the pubs open. It’s more exciting than Christmas.

It’s weeks since I sat with friends in a garden drinking proper hand pulled beer from barrels donated by my local ( they claimed back the cost of the 11 unused barrels on their insurance) so now it’s time to help the local economy.

A pal of mine has been working at the bar laying new flooring. I’ve got inside info on the 3 real ales on offer tomorrow when they open at 13:00. Assuming it’s not too busy, there is no outside space, I’ll be in early doors, a few + bevvies with friends, I won’t share my crisps with anyone, and the weather forecast is more rain. What’s not to like.
 Cheers - Robin O'Reliant
>> Only one more sleep
>>

Jesus, this is the last place I'd have expected to hear anyone use that phrase. One hundred lines by tomorrow morning, please.
 Cheers - legacylad
I must go to the pub
I must go to the pub
+ 98

( as if my social life wasn’t hectic enough)

Sure as heck beats getting square eyes and doing jigsaw puzzles. I don’t walk in the rain and after two very long walks this week my legs are fatigued.
 Cheers - Zero
there is NO way I would be in a pub on the first day post lockdown. It will be heaving, the beer will be s*****, and they wont have sorted out how to run the place under the new rules,

give it a week or so
 Cheers - legacylad
I’ll report back. Big difference is that it’s a small bar, not a pub. Normally only one person serving...the owner or his family. It is a small rectangular indoor space, they don’t serve food apart from nuts and crisps, although 5pm on Sunday we get lots of free home baked delicious things...pies and tartlet things with home made chutneys etc

If it looks busy ( more than 8 people in) I’ll walk the 3/4 of a mile home. And sulk.

And the beer will be A1. Tapped and conditioned 3 days ago.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 3 Jul 20 at 23:16
 Cheers - bathtub tom
>>Assuming it's not too busy, there is no outside space, I'll be in early doors, a few + bevvies with friends, I won't share my crisps with anyone
Don't the rules state you can only be inside if you're having food (do crisps count?).

>>the weather forecast is more rain
If outside, you may be having watered down beer.
 Cheers - sooty123
So did anyone go down to the pub last night?
 Cheers - smokie
Went past my regular local about 4pm and it didn't look very open.

I usually go there for a Sunday night drink with a couple of mates but we are agreed that we're not ready to do it yet. It's a Greene King and they now have an app to pre-book a table, and when you are there you order drinks using it. There were no tables available for tonight anyway when I looked yesterday evening.
 Cheers - legacylad
My local opened at 1pm...it’s only a small bar, more akin to a micro pub than traditional hostelry. The usual suspects were in shortly after opening time, and I joined them an hour later. Hand sanitizer on entry, the option of signing a visitors book, no standing at the bar, and only two real ales on instead of the usual 3. Being a small place 2 of the owners family were pulling pints, whilst a third brought them to your table. No one was wearing any PPE, the door was open and there were about 12 of us in, so it felt comfortable. My favourite beer had increased by 20p in price to £3.20 a pint, but it was in excellent condition as expected...Chinook by Goose Eye Brewery. It was a wet miserable afternoon so we stayed until 6 and left when it started filling up with the evening drinkers who’d spent the afternoon supping in the social club and weren’t maintaining social distancing.

One pub in Settle, the Talbot, has a booking system whereby you reserve your table in 90 minute slots.i can’t be assed with that...I just want to pop in and chat with friends. I may have one pint and leave, or stay several hours and have several pints.

One of the local barbers was open yesterday...£2 surcharge per cut to pay for their PPE cheeky sods. I’m leaving my hair long.

I’ll be popping into my local ‘ proper pub’ this afternoon..the Harts Head in Giggleswick. Lovely large beer garden overlooking the village. Now owned by Thwaites after the previous owner, Cricketers Inns, went bust. If it’s busy, or there are no beers I like, I’ll walk straight out. Which I’ve done previously when half wits were behind the bar.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 5 Jul 20 at 09:58
 Cheers - Duncan
My local sports and social club re-opened yesterday. I popped in during the afternoon, very quiet, busier in the evening. My local pub is re-opening tomorrow.
 Cheers - Terry
Very public spirited, and a great self sacrifice to support the local economy.

Beer, crisps, chat with mates is just a burden that one reluctantly accepts in the circumstances.
 Cheers - Zero
So went to my Local on Wednesday night, some friends needed to fly to Spain to pick up their boat and sail it home, so stayed with us for the night. We decided we would eat out. The local is a green King pub, cheap but perfectly enjoyable food, big portions.

One needed to scan the QR code on the door and text your trace details, then get invited into the pub, download an app on the free wifi, order your food and drinks by app and table number.

I had a draught IPA, it was in good nick, we all shared a rather good bottle of petit chablis with the food, and a jolly good time was had by all 4 of us.
Latest Forum Posts