Non-motoring > Knees Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 23

Knees - Bobby
I have sore knees. The typed that are really sore going up and down stairs. Up off the couch and first taking my weight.
But once standing I can walk for miles, not too bad on gradients. Can walk 10-15km no problem.

This has been going on for a few weeks now. There is a possibility it originated from a 30 miler bike ride I did with a very steep climb that I was determined I was going to cycle up. Certainly didn’t feel too bad after that but I am now wondering if that was the cause.

Any ideas what this may be, exercise or rest it (still need to walk my lab every day), Doctor or physio?
 Knees - Lygonos
Both knees flaring at same time usually means a strain from overuse/overambition rather than arthritis or significant disorder. Most arthritises will have a favourite side to annoy you (other than rheumatoid which is often symmetrical).

It easing once you start walking also suggests that it is 'soft tissue' rather than joint/bone pain.

If you're over 35 (which I know you are...) you can start enjoying strains taking months rather than days/weeks to settle.

If it's getting worse speak to a physio (might be one attached to your GP practice as part of our new GP contract in Scotland).
 Knees - tyrednemotional
..these new online consultations are b***** wonderful aren't they?

(though I didn't realise they were quite so public!)
 Knees - legacylad
Obviously I’ve no professional knowledge to assist in your problem, but since 1997 I’ve used a pair of ‘trekking poles’ on the vast majority of my walks. Not on short walks into or around town, but always on longer walks, 5 miles +, especially with up & down stuff.
My belief is that by extending the poles on downhill sections it reduces the strain on the knees. Reducing the length of the poles on uphill sections helps to propel me.
Yesterday my Thursday walking group had a very wet 19 km walk, with 2 miles on a narrow muddy and deeply waterlogged path through a forest. The poles really helped with my stability getting across quagmires.
Tuesday was a wet 32km walk, only 650m of ascent in total, but not a twinge from either knee.
And if you get poles, buy a pair. And preferably with an ‘anti shock’ system which reduces the strain and shock effect on the wrists. And I’m an oldish git so count myself very fortunate indeed.
Happy trails
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 3 Jul 20 at 22:56
 Knees - bathtub tom
I've had knee problems for donkeys and gave up running twenty-odd years ago. Physio doesn't seem to have helped much.
My problem's going downhill, so I take that very carefully.
I take fish oil and glucosamine+chondroitin, but I can't confirm it helps.
 Knees - Dog
>>gave up running twenty-odd years ago

Probably caused it.

>>I take fish oil and glucosamine+chondroitin, but I can't confirm it helps.

Try turmeric and ginger supps, if it's arthur.
 Knees - Bobby
Cheers Doc! Soft tissue makes sense and much preferred to arthritis! My GP surgery Is pretty antiquated with a GP to match!
Checked back and it was 25 May my cycle ride when I foolishly had a 160m ascent.
I’ll maybe give it another couple of weeks and see if any improvement.

Meantime is my daily 15-20k steps doing any harm or keep it up?
 Knees - Bromptonaut
>> Checked back and it was 25 May my cycle ride when I foolishly had a
>> 160m ascent.

I remember similar issues in the early eighties when I first started riding long distance with a group. My bike at the time was adapted from an off the shelf 'racer' and although I'd fitted mudguards and a rack I'd only made limited adjustments to the gearing. I'd also yet to learn to make full use of lower gears and did the 'exercise' thing of pushing in second or third (of five). Ditchling Beacon and some hard climbs in the Cotswolds/Forest of Dean plus keeping up with fitter riders were the likely causes

It cleared up with abstinence from riding for a few weeks but was prone to return with first serious rides of a new year.
 Knees - Zero
Get used to it, It goes with your age. There is more of that to come in other parts.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 Jul 20 at 23:03
 Knees - legacylad
Sleep well Mr Happy.
 Knees - Dog
>>There is more of that to come in other parts.

Reasons to be cheerful?
 Knees - maltrap
My wife swears by this cream that she gets on prescription.
Axsain 0.075% w/w cream.
The active ingredient being capsaicin 0.075%
She has to wear disposable gloves when applying it to her knees
as you do not want to get it anwhere other than the affected area.
I think the active ingredient is made from chilli's
 Knees - Lygonos
Have rarely seen stunning results from Capsaicin 0.025% and 0.075% creams though I suspect few people use it as recommended (very sparingly 4 times daily) despite my encouragement.

Couple of relative successes with post-herpetic neuralgia (persistent pain after shingles in the elderly).

Chronic pain treatment is a dissapointing subset of GP workload - for every success there's several "you'll need to come to terms with it".

The population is littered with chronic users of opiates like codeine and tramadol with limited long-term benefit, and significant long-term detriment.
 Knees - Zero
I have had mixed results with Hemp active Gel

For my damaged rotator cuff, it dulled the pain sufficiently to enable sleep. I had a steroid injection since and it was fine for a while but has come back, so I use it sometimes.

Its worked well on some of Mrs Zees various muscle ailments, but does not do anything anything good for skeletal stuff.
 Knees - devonite
when i have problems with bone-ache I often use a Comfrey poultice, made with real comfrey leaves from the allotment, - works wonders (for me) where as Comfrey containing compounds/lotions from the chemist are usually rubbish! - in olden-tymes it was called "Knitbone" as the apothecaries used it to heal broken limbs!
 Knees - Dog
I lean towards alternative/complementary/herbal remedies and have managed to avoid doctors surgeries for 28 years.

When my ole mum had a nasty leg ulcer, I suggested she put a fresh cabbage leaf on it, and change it every day.

Did she follow my advice, did she %%%%

I like the idea of the comfrey poultice, I'll have to dig out my Penelope Ody book.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 7 Jul 20 at 13:14
 Knees - legacylad
Turmeric & ginger then ?
Yesterday was pretty much a pain free left hip on my leisurely 22km walk around Ilkley Moor. No rain and a sunny afternoon...much lower humidity after recent days when Mr Hippy ached a lot .

I’ve heard that turmeric may help, but looking online to purchase there seem to be 1001 options...can you recommend any that isn’t a ‘watered down’ variant and contains the real stuff in tablet form? Thanks.
 Knees - Dog
>>Turmeric & ginger then ?

Wifey takes that for arthritis. I take a turmeric capsule every morning, but not for any particular reason :)

Orf out now with the 2 gods, I'll check out later what Mrs god takes.
 Knees - Dog
My wife takes 2 organic turmeric + piperine (black pepper basically) per day which gives her 1200mg of turmeric.

She also takes 2 omega 3 (or is it 3 omega 2) capsules + a cod liver oil cap per day.

Why do you take all that stuff, says I ... because you told me to she says (she's from Essex!!)

We've lived in single story dwellings for the last 3 decades and when we moved into this 'ere cottage 9 years ago she started to suffer from knee pain.

That's why I put her on the pill/s see :)

She doesn't get any knee pain now, and we've walked every day since she's been furlonged.

I might add that our Beauceron (French Shep) is an ignorant oaf and a bully (to our English Pointer) and he will charge around and knock you over if you're not careful.

Since we've had him, he's split my head open and broken my nose - nice dog though, knowlmean :(

Well, one day he bashed into wifey's knee and, she reckons it's been pain free since then.
I can add to that because I used to suffer with my back (14 years of bending over car engines)
I had a bad bad back one time when we lived in Truro and, Milo the Rhodesian Ridgeback lunged after a Goldie who used to bark at him every morning - Milo was (are still with me at the back there?) on a lead and the jolt put my back/spine/disc or whatever, back in place and I was right as rain afterwards.

Amen.
 Knees - Robin O'Reliant
Threads like these make one nostalgic for the days one's main topic of conversation was where you were going the weekend, who you were going with and who you'd "Had" or hoped to have.

All of us appear to have reached the age where aches, pains and hospital stays are the conversational mainstay and our biggest social events are funerals.

Old age stinks.
 Knees - legacylad
“ Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light”
 Knees - Dog
Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative.
 Knees - Ambo
This works well as a liniment:

www.zipvit.co.uk/glucosamine-and-emu-joint-gel-blume-r.html

However, I am surprised some animal protest group hasn't launched an Emu Lives Matter campaign against it.
 Knees - devonite
came across this on youtube this morning! - may help ;-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UxUfRb619A
Latest Forum Posts