Non-motoring > Criminal history Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

Criminal history - bathtub tom
I'm interested in the possible criminal history of a convicted con man. I can't believe he hasn't been clean for sixty years and then comes up with a complicated con, he's far too glib. There's no mention of 'previous good character' at his committal.

I've researched his name his name, without any success and I can't find any alias.

Any suggestions for research I can do legally, I've been through google and social media.
 Criminal history - Timeonmyhands
Perhaps he’s that good that he has never been caught.
 Criminal history - martin aston
Legally obtainable info still can't be researched for some purposes. A serving juror checking up on a defendant for example. So based on your need being an entirely legal purpose it might be worth a Companies House check for directorships etc and see if any companies come up. Then follow any threads.
 Criminal history - bathtub tom
>>a Companies House check for directorships etc

Thanks for that, it threw up an identical name, age and business in the same field. Probably the same person as it's an unusual name.

I'm not going down the PI path, but will ask the court for a look at the transcript.
 Criminal history - Fullchat
Name change by Deed Poll ?

Fraudsters are quite adept at playing the names game. Changing round the order of first names or omitting those names. eg David James SMITH could change to James SMITH. Date of Birth is also integral in searches, but that's for law enforcement databases. Its a minefield.
Data quality and multiple records came to the forefront during the Bichard Inquiry (Soham)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 10 Jul 20 at 14:30
 Criminal history - R.P.
wonder if he's cleared his Google history. Worth looking around the web for a search engine based outside the EU perhaps.
 Criminal history - R.P.
Private Investigators (human not digital) can still be very good at this sort of thing
 Criminal history - No FM2R
>> Private Investigators (human not digital) can still be very good at this sort of thing

A friend of mine is an international private investigator. He is very good at find people or finding out about them. He's also not very forthcoming about how he does it or what/which resources he uses to do it. No doubt some of it is, at best, unofficial.

Strange bloke though. Always looks like he's more thinking about mugging you than about to help you.

I would say that if you really want to know, a PI is the way to go.
 Criminal history - Lemma
Many, many years ago my younger brother, even then an entrepreneur, was entering into a property deal with a local chap. When he explained it there were several things that rang alarm bells with me. I was so concerned in those pre-google days to check this guy out, eventually ending in the over the shop office of a former detective sergeant who had set up on his own. Just a mention of the name of the potential business partner had him pulling open filing cabinets etc. It seems the potential property partner was well known for his antics, and the private investigator strongly advised withdrawing from the deal.

My brother saw the light and went round to the landlords house with £50 in one pocket and £100 in another. He was invited in and when he said he wanted to can the deal the atmosphere immediately became unhealthily frosty. My brother produced the £50 and said would that cover the inconvenience? Smiles all round and rapid exit stage left.

I thanked the investigator for his help and in passing commented that he was wearing a trench coat style mac. “Do all private investigators wear macs like that” I asked. “Only when it is raining” he replied.

True story and since then my brother and I consult closely, and were even in business together for five years before cashing in.
Latest Forum Posts