Non-motoring > ID Fraud advice Legal Questions
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 9

ID Fraud advice - sooty123
My wife had her bank details taken in a scam late last year. We've had a couple of letters from a company called Klarna, which is some sort of company that sorts out store credit etc.

The letters state that we an amount due to late fees etc. If you don't pay, debt collecters etc etc. Normally I'm minded to chuck them in the bin, however this appears to be a real company.

The person who got the bank details made a purchase in a shop, the money was refunded by the bank.

Having never been in this situation before I'm not entirely sure how to proceed with this, just contact Klarna and explain?
 ID Fraud advice - Falkirk Bairn
>> just contact Klarna and explain?

Send a registered letter with your full details, referenecing their letter, ref# etc etc
Tell them this a fraudulent transaction, nothing to do with you. Point out that you have been re-imbursed by your bank - copy of letter enclosed.

It took me 6 months to clear up debt taken in my name by someone of a similar name. He had somehow managed to get a credit card details, re-directed the bill - showing £10k credit limit, a bill of £400 and full payment.

He hawked this aaround and managed to hoover up ££thousands of g - not goods on my CC but using my limits on the CC
They appear not have a UK address, the only address on the letter is one in sweden.
I'll give them a ring, as looking online it's seem a name that keeps cropping up with scams although the company itself is a real one.
 ID Fraud advice - Fullchat
Ringing might not be as easy as you think. I had an issue with my late Mothers address. 2 occupants 6 years back had done a moonlight leaving debts.Demands and threats kept dropping through the letterbox. A simple voters list check would have revealed all but no, the letters kept coming and debt passed on (McKenzie Hall ???) The addresses are all the same.
Ring and you end up on a premium rate line - thieves!
I did explain on the phone but they continued until I sent them a recorded delivery letter as outlined. Good to have a solid audit trail.
 ID Fraud advice - Fullchat
These need nipping in the bud and robustly stating your case. This company have probably bought the debt:

Do you have a Police Crime Reference number? When were the details obtained and when was the purchase in question made. In what manner did the shop allow a purchase to be made in your wife's name.

Once you have reported that your details have been scammed you no longer are responsible for criminal use of those details - practically speaking The shop has been the subject of the fraud, may have been negligent in authorising the purchase. Either way they are the victim.

I would write to them,create a timeline of facts (providing they are in your favour) and inform them as you have been courtious enough to update them of the facts and that they are now appraised of the circumstances, any further contact will be deemed as harassment and if you have to engage in further communication your fee will be £100 on each and every occasion.

These debt purchasers can be a real pain in the backside. You have to play them at their own game.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 10 Jul 20 at 17:15
No at the time we don't report it at the time, just to the bank.

I gave them a ring, turns out it was a scooter purchase at halfords. They seem happy that it's a fraud and are going to close the account down. They just want a reference number from Action Fraud. All painless, perhaps a bit too easy but I'll get the number and see what happens.
 ID Fraud advice - Zero

>> j perhaps a bit too easy
>> but I'll get the number and see what happens.

Its probably been moved to the "to expensive to sort out" file, they will sell it on (at about 30 pence in the pound) to some other low cost debt recovery scum, who will bombard you with letters.

Sorry.
 ID Fraud advice - Manatee
I would inform the debt purchase/collection agency of the situation but also contact Klarna.

I'd never heard of them until I read your post but it turns out one of my old business contacts is in a 'leadership' position there, so I infer that they are 'proper'. They appear to have taken over the retail finance business of Close Brothers (a very traditional merchant/commercial bank) which I didn't know - I'm not that current, being retired.

Klarna UK Limited
7th Floor, 33 Cavendish Square
London
W1G 0PW
United Kingdom

www.klarna.com/uk/customer-service/

Freephone and local rate numbers

Local Rate: 020 300 50833
Freephone: 0808 189 3333
Fraud related (available 24/7): 0203 005 0837

I think I'd start by calling the fraud number, and follow up with something in writing.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 11 Jul 20 at 09:54
 ID Fraud advice - Falkirk Bairn
Klarna are, amongst other things, into financing things people do not have the money to buy.

QVC, adverts in daily papers etc- £99 but 3 equal payments of £33 it can be yours tomorrow!

Klarna & others of a similar ilk take a cut of the £99 and also have swingeing charges for missed payments, failed DD etc etc

My D-i-Law works in an office - many of the staff are on modest wages (& perform modest tasks at modest speed) - arrest warrants for salary are quite common.

Even though people are in debt (Thousands) and no cash half way through the month they will but of 3 x months free of interest then get hit with £12/£15/£20 admin charges or 100% to 200%APR interest.
One employee was doing their evening job, to get money to pay debts. She drove into deep water due to flash flooding. Car on HP but she had GAP & it paid out (Ins £3k, GAP £2.5K) - she was not insured for Pizza deliveries BUT there was nothing in the car when coming back from the drop off - she through the bag away in the bushes. She told the employer that the police told her to get id of it as it was dirty flood water!
Latest Forum Posts