Non-motoring > Tree Surgeons - Costs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 53

Tree Surgeons - Costs - zippy
I know this is going to be reliant on the size of tree, but does anyone have any ball park figures for reducing the crown of three large trees by 30%?

Thanks.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - CGNorwich
From experience around £750 to £1,000 per tree including disposal.
>> From experience around £750 to £1,000 per tree including disposal.
>>

Ouch!
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Runfer D'Hills
Got a long ladder Zippy? Couple of old mattresses, y'know, just in case. Sorted.
;-)
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Bromptonaut
Next door has a mature walnut tree, long predating the development we live in, at the bottom of her garden. She had it thinned etc a couple of years ago and I seem to recall a figure of £500+ being bandied around.

It will need further attention soon.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Crankcase
Our yearly tame tree surgeon did a 30% reduction on some poplars at the end of the garden. Three trees, and I think the bill was about £1000 in total for the three, including disposal, and a few other bits in the garden too, from memory.

That was about six or seven years ago - we subsequently had them removed entirely, which was about £800 I think.

Being in a conservation area it took a bunch of paperwork on both occasions, which he also sorted out in that price.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 17 Jul 20 at 15:37
The figure I gave were for my large Oaks. Around 50 feet high and I would say 150 years old at least. Subject to TPOs

Work involve three men working from ladders and ropes and waste shredded and disposed of. Two trees took a day.

Thanks guys!

This place continues to be a money pit!

We have one huge Eucalyptus, an Ash with a large crown and an Oak.

The first two, we don't think are covered by a TPO but the Oak may well be.

There is a 30 / 40 ft strip of woods at the front of the house and each of the houses owns the bit between their house and the road. The whole area is covered by one TPO.

Between the woods and our houses is a drive (one vehicle wide) and then our oak. The TPO plan is not accurate enough to determine if the Oak is included. It was in place long before the houses were built.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - R.P.
Our old place had a line of trees on the boundary. Some were TPOs and I knew we faced costs with them at some point. Caused me sleepless nights, as a lane ran parallel to the treeline.
vimeo.com/187305988/7b121c8dca (You'll see my old 320 Touring in this clip)
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - John Boy
Why don't you just ask one for a quote, Zippy. In my experience they can give one pretty quickly.
>> Why don't you just ask one for a quote, Zippy. In my experience they can
>> give one pretty quickly.
>>

Have invited a couple around for early next week, just wanted to get some idea of where the pricing might be in case of silly quotes.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - legacylad
Zippy. Serious advice....make sure you check their insurance is valid for tree work up to the height you require.
A friend of mine had an awful accident helping tree surgeons on his property. Their insurance only covered trees to a certain height. The tree they took down, and which paralysed him, was over that height. Anything to do with tree felling, or pruning, now resonates with me.
Cheers LL will add that to my list!
>> Our old place had a line of trees on the boundary. Some were TPOs and
>> I knew we faced costs with them at some point. Caused me sleepless nights, as
>> a lane ran parallel to the treeline.
>> vimeo.com/187305988/7b121c8dca (You'll see my old 320 Touring in this clip)
>>

Lovely house and location!
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Ambo
It is essential to check TPOs first, otherwise a heavy fine could result. The council will probably have a list of surgeons and, if so, those will almost certainly have insurance. Apply for its permission with photos, making your case for the work (e.g. trees blocking light). The council may say it wants to inspect the work as it starts but probably won't insist at the last minute, due to lack of staff.

I believe it is possible for neighbours to support an application officially if it would benefit them, adding their own reasons.

To save money on clearing, just have the side branches trimmed off and stack them on the main stems in a corner, creating a home for bugs etc. Or maybe supply fuel for a log burner.
First quote came in today.

£3,948!!!

This house continues to be a money pit!
Ouch
It’s stories like this that make me so glad I now live in a modern 20yo house. No large garden with trees and shrubs, small front lawn with border, large rectangular rear lawn that takes 30 mins to mow once a month, and extensive low maintenance patios.
My previous 1913 house was a money pit.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - bathtub tom
>> large rectangular rear lawn that takes 30 mins to mow once a month

I left mine for four weeks as the council have reduced collections of garden waste for that period and I don't like my bin smelling of silage.
My electric mower could hardly cope. I guess I'll have a stinky bin until the council revert to fortnightly collections.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - BiggerBadderDave
"£3,948!!!"

Call a Polish guy.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Falkirk Bairn
Chap with a "chipper" towed behind a transit was £1200

Phoned around - chap + 2 sons + a pal with old tipper transit £500

Guess who got the job?
I trust you checked their waste operators licence
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - No FM2R

>> Guess who got the job?

The fly tippers from DAYL & Co?
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Terry
Often wonder what tree surgeons/chainsaw artists do with the wood.

Probably not fly-tipped as there is value in them there logs:

- firewood - from little sacks in the garage to cubic meters at a time
- hobbyists - eg: woodturners
- planking - not all trees but some (fruitwood, walnut etc) are valued
- larger scale wood pellets for electricity generation

Then put the rest in a pile and bag up as compost a few years later.

Perhaps, Zippy, you should charge them for the privilege of removinng your trees.
Providing they have the right equipment most gets chipped for recycling. The timber does indeed have a value, normally as firewood.

treesurgeon.org.uk/recycling-green-waste/

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 22 Jul 20 at 20:17
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - No FM2R
>>Perhaps, Zippy, you should charge them for the privilege of removinng your trees.

Having asked for a quote for several trees to be cut, I was offered a significant discount if they didn't have to take the wood away.

So I'm guessing not.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 22 Jul 20 at 20:21
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Zero
>> First quote came in today.
>>
>> £3,948!!!
>>
>> This house continues to be a money pit!

Rediculous, having one tree crowned, cleared and chipped shouldnt cost more than £750 maximum
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Bobby
After chain sawing the remains of a tree at my dads, we couldnt get it fully away due to the angle the stump was left at and the proximity of the neighbours shed.

My dad's pal came with a stump grinder - what a wonderful, brutal, bit of kit! Gone in 60 seconds as they say!!!

When I am out with the dog walking, there seems to be so many gardens with tree stumps in them - I'm sure I could hire a grinder for a week and make lots of money door to door!
If you want to remove a small tree completely make sure you leave around five feet of the trunk when you saw it down

Then dig a two foot square around the tree and escavate as much soil as possilbe and cut through the roots. A trowel and good pair of loppers and a crow bar are handy for this. Its a hands and knees job.

You i should then be able to use the trunk as a handle and lever out the tree completely.

Tree Surgeons - Costs - Zero
and then what do you do with half a ton of trunk and root?

Stump grinder every time
>> and then what do you do with half a ton of trunk and root?
>>
>> Stump grinder every time
>>

I did say small tree. And if you don’t remove the root plate you can’t plant anything in its place. The last one I removed that way, a Rowan I shredded all the smaller branches and sawed up the thick branches and trunk for firewood. The root went on a blazing bonfire and was reduced to ashes by the next morning.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 23 Jul 20 at 00:46
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - smokie
You'd do better on Grindr pretty boy LOL
I cut down three trees the other week. One was a laurel and two were leylandii. All have been in for quite a few years and I'd kept them trimmed to about 10ft.

I was surprised how substantial the main trunks were - they all had multiple ones. A mate lent me a fairly heavy duty muncher to put the branches through, and another mate lent me a reciprocating saw. I ended up with masses of bags of waste which I took to the local tip - three carloads, and you have to make appointments a week away at our tip now.

I dug out a fair bit of the roots but have now drilled holes in the stumps and filled them with Epsom salts which apparently dries them out and kills them. Looks like it won't be a quick process though.

Another neighbour said he was surprised I hadn't suffered poisoning from the laurel.

Anyway, there is a place near a walk we go on which deals with trees from the local forest - mainly silver birch. There is always a pile of help-yourself wood chips there which we used this year instead of paying the garden centre for bark, and they leave handy boot-size chunks of trunk there for you to take away - I imagine as firewood but we took one to use as a base for a bird bath...
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 23 Jul 20 at 00:28
My Corsican pine was planted about 12 years ago and shot up to about 40'. To fell it, grind the stump down to 6" below ground level and remove all spoil, £150.

The local council had approved but I found its rationale curious; the tree was too young to need their permission.
Plus VAT
I often wonder why people palnt trees without checking their ultimate height and rate of growth. The Corsican Pine is grown grown commerdcially for timber, partly because of its quick rate of growth and can reach 75 feet and live for 500 years.

There are plenty of small varieties of trees available. I just takes a little bit of research

Why also do they plant tree so close to thier boundary so ensuring a future source of friction with their neighbour?
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - sooty123
> Why also do they plant tree so close to thier boundary so ensuring a future
>> source of friction with their neighbour?
>>

Most people in the UK only have small gardens, would look a bit odd if it was in the middle of the garden.

>> Most people in the UK only have small gardens, would look a bit odd if
>> it was in the middle of the garden.
>>

Actually it looks far better. You can admire the full shape and beaurty of the tree without worrying that your neigbour will attack it with a pruning saw

If you have a very small garden perhaps you should refrain from planting a tree at all although there are penty of small trees and large shrubs available.

I hava a beautiful Amanogawa flowering cherry whihc is modest in its height and growth in the middle of my lawn and it looks absolutely stunning from the lounge window when it is in flower in the Spring.
Is that a columnar tree, Norwich? I believe it is a prunus and my council specify one of those or an acer as a replacement.

I want a bushy-topped tree and a winter-flowering specimen; both types have them. I fancied Prunus subhirtella "Autumnalis rosea" but the tree surgeon told me they are unreliable flowerers and may die early.

Yes it is columnar Ambo. The technical term is fastigiate. ( I’ve always wanted to use that word. :-))
Someone been out with the scissors? A post just vanished.
Not me Sooty, and there is no evidence of one being hidden either, which is often what is done initially if one offends,
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 30 Jul 20 at 08:37
Ah well, chalk it up as another disappearing post.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - VxFan
>> Not me

Nor me. Might have been the tree surgeon ;)
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - tyrednemotional
...I thought it was fencers that did posts....... ;-)
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - VxFan
I wooden know ;)
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Dog
Yew wood say that!
You lot are barking...
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - tyrednemotional
>> I wooden know ;)
>>

......touché....

;-)
Someone arbreing a grudge if it was a French Oak.
I’ll get me manteau
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - bathtub tom
I'm ashen, yew lot have no heart.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Clk Sec
I really can't understand why this thread is so poplar.
Elder people cedar humour here
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Clk Sec
Sometimes, but knot always.
 Tree Surgeons - Costs - Runfer D'Hills
Oh leaf it out !
;-)
Latest Forum Posts