Non-motoring > Work Bench Recommendations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 12

Work Bench Recommendations - Clk Sec
Although not a huge fan of DIY, I thought I'd treat myself to a work bench - so any recommendations for a B&D type Workmate, or similar, will be appreciated.

I've been extremely fortunate in the past when moving house, with generous amounts of shelving and work benches (two of which came with a sturdy vice) being left free gratis, but this time it's an empty shell. At least I can get my barge in there, so no complaints.
 Work Bench Recommendations - maltrap
My Workmate is about 30 years old, used occasionally but still going strong. The fact that it's virtually unchanged speaks for itself. If it ain't broke don't fix it !
 Work Bench Recommendations - Bromptonaut
>> My Workmate is about 30 years old, used occasionally but still going strong. The fact
>> that it's virtually unchanged speaks for itself. If it ain't broke don't fix it !

Pretty much as above. Bought mine c1986. Last significant use was when laying laminate flooring in bedroom 3 but it comes out now and then if stuff needs sawing or whatever.
 Work Bench Recommendations - CGNorwich
>> My Workmate is about 30 years old, used occasionally but still going strong. The fact
>> that it's virtually unchanged speaks for itself. If it ain't broke don't fix it !
>>

The earlier models had cast aluminium frames and were a lot lighter, and in my opinion better, than the later steel models. Still got my father's.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 21 Jul 20 at 15:07
 Work Bench Recommendations - henry k
>> The earlier models had cast aluminium frames and were a lot lighter, and in my
>> opinion better, than the later steel models.

I have an aluminium one plus two sets of B&D clamps and some B&D stops ( dogs?)

I have heard it said that jobbing builders tossed their benches in their van and snapped the frames so they produced steel framed versions.
I am more inclined to believe the aluminium ones were too expensive to produce and folks would not pay the price.
Wiki says
In 1972 Black & Decker's MKII version of the Workmate went into production.
When released, it was first sold in the United Kingdom for £24.95.
 Work Bench Recommendations - sherlock47
Normally with tools I used to only buy on quality. As my remaining life span decreases I now have compromised on quality in many cases.

My £10 workmates have survived abuse over the last 10 years.

Make sure you buy in pairs - much more useful when working or cutting long lengths.

If you frequent car boot sales you can sometimes find used, quality items for the £10 figure.
 Work Bench Recommendations - Zero
I have two BnD workmates, one I inherited cast aluminium one, and one I bought Steel type.

Finest DiY tool ever
 Work Bench Recommendations - martin aston
I had one of the original ones for about 30 years until the catches became unreliable. I then bought a cheapie one from Screw Fix. It's not in the same league but does for light sawing and gripping. If I were using one a lot I would buy a heavy duty one.

In fact I slightly regret not doing so this time around.

Work Bench Recommendations - Duncan
£101!!

One hundred and one pounds? How Much!!??

www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-Deluxe-Workmate-WM825-XJ/dp/B0001GRVYG
 Work Bench Recommendations - sooty123
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LFXHO0/ref=dp_cerb_1

Here you go Dunc.
 Work Bench Recommendations - Duncan
>> www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LFXHO0/ref=dp_cerb_1
>>
>> Here you go Dunc.
>>

Unavailable - just when I was going to get stuck into some serious DIY!
>> One hundred and one pounds? How Much!!??

And some delivery charge...
I thought the recommendations here would favour Black & Decker, so have just ordered one.

Belated thanks to all.
Latest Forum Posts