Non-motoring > Freecycle/Freegle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Freecycle/Freegle - smokie
Anyone using these services much? I've given away some quite decent stuff, some of which has barely been used, as a result of lockdown clearouts. Seems many others are too. The oddest thing to go was a bag of shredded paper (for guinea pigs apparently) but also I was surprised someone was interested in two half drums (not industrial size) of old phone cable.

The problem I have is that, having subscribed to it, I am getting mails of people offering stuff I don't need but I want. Someone offered a perfectly good wall mounted Hozelock hose system ( - I already have two) and today there was a wall mount for a 40 - 50" telly. My telly stands quite happily on a cabinet but I had a real urge to acquire it.

The odd thing was that on a few of the items I advertised, the same old names got in quickly. I guess they are car booters.
 Freecycle/Freegle - No FM2R
I have, in Bicester, but not to get stuff only to get rid.

At one point I had about 5 or so skips worth of good quality topsoil. An absolutely army of people with carrier bags cleared it in about 4 days.
 Freecycle/Freegle - sooty123
Not really, I did briefly try using one. I struggled to get rid of anything tbh, very few were on it. I've tried gumtree and advertising it for free but that sort of site seems to attract time wasters.
I found the charity shop or the tip to be a far better way of getting rid of stuff.
 Freecycle/Freegle - Duncan
Apropos of very little.

I watched a couple of these a while back.

www.channel5.com/show/hoarders/

I don't know if it was this series, but I used to know one of the hoarders featured. He would keep, as in refuse to throw away, broken, pound shop umbrellas!
Here we have an outstanding waste collection service.

Anything you don't want, anything at all, whatever it is, whatever size it is, you simply place it on, or drag it out to, the verge outside your house with a notice which says;

"Muy valioso. No tocar!"

And it will be removed within 1 hour. Sometimes faster after dark, depending on curfew and military awareness.

About two weeks ago I walked out with an electric kettle which no longer worked. I left it on the verge and walked back in the house. As I walked in I glanced at one of the camera monitors and it had already gone. Less than 90 seconds I reckon.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 23 Jul 20 at 07:13
 Freecycle/Freegle - Duncan
Muy valioso. No tocar

Very valuable. Do not touch.

Really?
 Freecycle/Freegle - legacylad
When clearing out my late Aunts flat I used local Freecycle & Preloved sites. A vast amount went to charity shops, I sold a few pieces of furniture, but the old bathroom suite, equally ancient freestanding oven, entire 35 yo kitchen, plus lots of other items, were taken away and given new homes.
I hate the idea of stuff going unnecessarily to landfill.

I’m currently decluttering my own home & garage...local ‘Seek & Sell’ work really well. Sometimes I get money for stuff, sometimes it’s given away. The stuff people take though can be an eye opener. I’m so pleased people can make use of it.
>>Muy valioso. No tocar
>
>Very valuable. Do not touch.
>
>Really?

Well, I don't put "very valuable" on it, but otherwise yes.

I put a broken armchair and it's equally knackered settee from the playroom out a few months ago with a note suggesting my friend was picking them up. They'd gone when I looked a couple of hours later. And they were really crap.

Chile is, by and large and in normal times, quite a safe place. But the level of theft is unbelievable. You cannot take your eyes off anything.

I once parked my car outside my house, opened the boot, walked just through the gates with two bags of shopping - a distance of 5 metres perhaps less, with the car in sight all the time though I had my back to it, and then turned around and walked back to the car - the other two bags had gone.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 23 Jul 20 at 08:53
 Freecycle/Freegle - bathtub tom
I've used both to get rid of unwanted stuff. I've learnt you can click on the profile of people who want stuff to see how much they've given away. I suspect those who have never offered stuff are car booters and go to the bottom of the list. It's the folk who have previously offered stuff who are more likely to turn up. There's an awful lot of timewasters out there who'll ask for stuff and never arrive.
 Freecycle/Freegle - Zero
Recently sold a spare bike on Facebook. 17 mins from time of placing add, to having new notes from cash machine in my hand and no spare bike.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 23 Jul 20 at 10:03
 Freecycle/Freegle - John Boy
>> I've used both to get rid of unwanted stuff. I've learnt you can click on
>> the profile of people who want stuff to see how much they've given away.
>>
Thanks, BT. I didn't know that. Can be really useful.
Latest Forum Posts