Non-motoring > Are you brave enough ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 180

Are you brave enough ? - legacylad
Another wet miserable day in t’Dales.
Normally mid July I try to spend 7/10 days SC on Tenerife with friends. Nice apartment, plenty of walking inland, hit the beach about 5PM for a few hours, coming out of the sea as the sun sets.
My thoughts have turned to a last minute week in the sun, anywhere really, but with potential lock downs I don’t know whether I should. Lots to keep me occupied at home, but procrastination keeps rearing its head.
Rather than the usual SC I fancy a solo trip staying in a 4* hotel, HB, doing nothing but swim and read in the shade. No alcohol, late breakfast after a long swim, early nights....the other option is to pack my rucsac and return to the Wales Coast Path, 10/14 days heading S to meet up with the Pembrokeshire CP which I backpacked 2 years ago.
Then again it will probably rain, when the attraction of camping loses its allure.
 Are you brave enough ? - Bromptonaut
I think you need to look carefully at individual countries and probably regions etc within them. I half heard something on the radio this morning when driving for first day in the office since lockdown (that's another story) about additional measures in Spain closing some facilities. I also think it's being suggested that the usual British abroad type behaviour had led to crackdowns in some popular resorts on the Costas/Balearics.

FWIW were taking the caravan to France for a fortnight from next Monday/Tuesday. Only as far a Normandy and the Bay of the Somme. Would quite like to have gone for my all time favourite site near Le Mont Dore in the Auvergne but although I'm sure Madame would have my favourite pitch ready for me it's too far.

We're crossing out overnight to Le Havre. Return from Calais is for 11-08 but is flexible (subject to a cost adjustment) if we have to abort the mission for any reason.

Will report in as it goes on.
I was avoiding Costas, Canaries and Balearics.
I won’t be sightseeing/ exploring. A week of warming my bones...Crete, Turkey, Cyprus, Greek island. Definitely an adults only hotel. No scroats or Spoonites.
Jet 2 and RYR have both resumed operations from LBA. Destinations in Turkey and Greece available.
Thanks. I’m aware.
Ryanair still owe me for 2 flights in March so Mr O can go Screwfix himself

A good friend of mine works for Jet2 @ LBA. They were unloading passengers to Greece earlier this week who hadn’t correctly filled in the necessary paperwork. Obviously not happy bunnies...the pertinent paperwork needs completing 48 hours before arrival. Some travellers had made a right mess of it. Or simply not bothered!
 Are you brave enough ? - Zero
I'm a pretty brave independent and experienced traveler of all parts foreign, but frankly at the moment there are far too many unknowns and quickly changing variables, all of which could cause a shed load of unwanted agro and inconvenience, for not much gain.

Next year.
 Are you brave enough ? - No FM2R
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 23 Jul 20 at 19:20
 Are you brave enough ? - R.P.
I'm off to Oxford in September (on the bike)...That's about as far as I plan to go.
>> I'm a pretty brave independent and experienced traveler of all parts foreign, but frankly at
>> the moment there are far too many unknowns and quickly changing variables, all of which
>> could cause a shed load of unwanted agro and inconvenience, for not much gain.
>>
>> Next year.

Just announced, more or less out of the blue, 14 day isolation upon returning from spain. Stuff like this is the least worse that can happen to you, but goes to show stuff changes by the day.

not going abroad this year
>> We're crossing out overnight to Le Havre. Return from Calais is for 11-08 but is
>> flexible (subject to a cost adjustment) if we have to abort the mission for any
>> reason.
>>
>> Will report in as it goes on.

Got back around 20:00 last night. Despite persistent rumours there is, so far, no quarantine restriction on return from France. There is though for Belgium; nobody asked if we'd been there. There were some announcements on the ferry about completing a form on line but nothing we'd seen previously covered this. Probably refers to this system:

www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

The officer checking our passports at the transposed border in Calais didn't ask for such a form or (as above) ask if we'd travelled to other countries. We could easily have been to Belgium or Luxembourg. No reason why we couldn't have been over into Spain, we've done it before.

French rules require masks to be worn in enclosed public spaces such as shops, bars/restaurants and motorway 'Aires'. Compliance was pretty much 100% though masks worn under the nose were quite common, including one of the waitresses in the campsite restaurant. It was though widely flouted in the toilet/shower blocks. I think a lot of people just forget and nip in for a quick wee regardless...

By comparison the disregard of mask wearing at Cobham services yesterday was around 20%, including somebody rolling dough in a Pizza concession.

We were able to eat out on a number of occasions. French social distancing is only one metre and external terraces etc seemed to operate near normally apart from masked staff. Masks could also be removed once seated in indoor dining areas

All in all a good trip. The Normandy coast and the Somme Bay are both areas we've missed out on over the years, passing by while going hell for leather to more southerly destinations. Very pleasant indeed. Fecamp in particular had a fantastic campsite comprising plots on ledges/terraces on what was otherwise a steep slope down to the shore. La Direction were quite apologetic about supposed lack of sea view from our late booked pitch; we found the view perfectly satisfactory.

Are you brave enough ? - Duncan
>> French rules require masks to be worn in enclosed public spaces such as shops, bars/restaurants
>> and motorway 'Aires'. Compliance was pretty much 100% though masks worn under the nose were
>> quite common, including one of the waitresses in the campsite restaurant. It was though widely
>> flouted in the toilet/shower blocks. I think a lot of people just forget and nip
>> in for a quick wee regardless...
>>
>> By comparison the disregard of mask wearing at Cobham services yesterday was around 20%, including
>> somebody rolling dough in a Pizza concession.
>>

In my opinion the degree of mask wearing compliance depends upon a number of things. It strikes me that intellect and social class have a large part to play.

Bromp said there was 80% compliance at Cobham services on the M25. This morning I sat outside Waitrose in Esher while you know who was inside shopping. The compliance was 100%.

Is there any connection or relationship between the two different rates of compliance at the two different establishments?
 Are you brave enough ? - smokie
I would imagine all of the above, though it is by no means restricted to any one group.

Also I guess you ware watching a maybe older and/or more affluent group at Waitrose. And people going out to work v. people not going out much seem significant to me.

Actually that last one seems potentially significant to me. I know a number of people who have gone to the office or their "out in the community" jobs throughout it, and by and large they are much more confident (almost appearing reckless in some cases) than those of us who have hunkered down for the duration.

>> Is there any connection or relationship between the two different rates of compliance at the
>> two different establishments?

Well there is one that panders to your innate sense of snobbery.

Cobham services is probably the busiest hell hole on earth, surprised Bromp got a parking space let alone get near the pizza bar.
 Are you brave enough ? - Runfer D'Hills
I stopped at Cobham early one morning and the car that was parked next to me had a large dead owl stuck in its radiator grille. I presume the driver was unaware, unless that's a thing in those parts.
New hooter? :-)
>> New hooter? :-)

Just a T'wit ;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 12 Aug 20 at 15:51
>> >> New hooter? :-)
>>
>> Just a T'wit ;-)
twoo was that?
Not sure, but clearly someone gave him the bird...
>> Cobham services is probably the busiest hell hole on earth, surprised Bromp got a parking
>> space let alone get near the pizza bar.

Oddly enough it's one of the better MSA sites for caravan parking albeit the places are a bit of a yomp from the foodcourt and bogs. Only really needed the latter. See what you mean about busy though. Aside from the usual MSA clientele it seems to be a base for HA Traffic Officers, a place for breakdown operators to either do 'roadside' repairs or relay vehicles from one flatbed to another plus some sort of coach operation.
 Are you brave enough ? - bathtub tom
>>By comparison the disregard of mask wearing at Cobham services yesterday was around 20%, including somebody rolling dough in a Pizza concession.

IIRC it's not a requirement for employees.
 Are you brave enough ? - PeterS
>> >>By comparison the disregard of mask wearing at Cobham services yesterday was around 20%, including
>> somebody rolling dough in a Pizza concession.
>>
>> IIRC it's not a requirement for employees.
>>

No, not a requirement. And given the temperature a pizza is cooked at, not a risk either! What this pandemic has shown is how woefully poor people are at assessing risk and understanding numbers.

Re service station vs Waitrose, I reckon age is a bigger factor than intellect. After all, at current levels of infection in the community, and the length of time you have to be within 1m of someone to be at risk of transmitting it, the rationale thing to do is not wear a mask, especially in the current weather ;)

Though I was surprised when I went to the hygienist this last that she wasn’t in full PPE, just a disposable mask, though everything was manual...no aerosol generating tools in use at all. I felt perfectly safe, and I’ve survived!
>> No, not a requirement. And given the temperature a pizza is cooked at, not a
>> risk either! What this pandemic has shown is how woefully poor people are at assessing
>> risk and understanding numbers.

Point taken about dough and temperature but what if it's handled by two different employees before/after proving? To be honest I'd almost expect PPE to be 'de-riguer' in food handling.

>> rational thing to do is not wear a mask, especially in the current weather ;)

Ain't that true. Mrs B, who would happily agree she carries a few excess pounds, was almost gasping by the time we'd got from the Spirit of France's car deck up to the Club Lounge on upper passenger deck. She was even struggling with the offer of complimentary champagne...
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 12 Aug 20 at 15:37

>> Point taken about dough and temperature but what if it's handled by two different employees
>> before/after proving? To be honest I'd almost expect PPE to be 'de-riguer' in food handling.
>>

I’d hope that what ever food hygiene measures they take as a matter of course in any food outlet prep area would also be sufficient for COVID, since you don’t catch it from ingesting it but from inhaling. So I’d expect business as usual in prep areas. It'd be more reasonable to expect the waiting / serving staff to wear a mask on the basis they do get closer than 1m to customers, albeit not for long. Again I think the risk is low, and though some do wear masks not all in my experience over the last month or so. Though, many meals have been eaten outside. I’ve observed the same as you though, with a mask being worn over the mouth but not the nose. But again, I think the risk of aerosol emission is probably greater through the mouth, unless they’re sneezing, so it won’t make me change my eating out habits! After all, masks are to protect others, not us.. The staff will see tens or hundreds of customer a day, so massive exposure. I’ll see less than one a day on average, so the odds are stacked in my favour I reckon.
 Are you brave enough ? - James Loveless
One person's bravery is another's foolhardiness.

I'm far from convinced that a crowd of people sitting right next to each other on a plane for hours is anything other than risky, masks or no masks, no matter how good the air filtration system is.
 Are you brave enough ? - Rudedog
Looks like they didn't even inform their own staff...

Head of Transport Grant Shapps is holidaying in Spain so has been caught by this... he'll be working from home for a while.. lets hope his boss decides to pay him while in isolation.. unlike I suspect some of the holiday makers returning.

Just out of curiosity....with the FCO advising against all but essential travel to Spain, which invalidates one’s travel insurance, is the EHIC card still valid?

My 11AM flight to Alicante 27/09 has just been cancelled and I’ve been moved to the 08:30 same date departure. I hate early starts which is why I booked the 11AM departure...if I’d wanted an 08:30 I’d have gone a day earlier as I’m paying for the accommodation from then.
£54 to change. I’ll cancel and rebook, which will cost me an extra £21 ( as it currently stands).

If FCO advice still stands then I’ll have to give serious thought to not going...accommodation costs can be rolled forward to January when I hope to return for 10 weeks so no financial losses incurred apart from the flight.
First World problems.
 Are you brave enough ? - CGNorwich
I can't see foreign travel in January being any less problematical that it is now. The pandemic is not going away any time soon, not until we find a vaccine.

Several friends who were sharing my rental accommodation from late September have cancelled as they don’t want a weeks holiday, followed by two weeks quarantine. Makes sense.

The accommodation has been relet and I’m now flying out early October with other friends. If they weather is good, which it normally is, I’ll stay until late November then quarantine upon return.

Wearing masks outdoors will be a pain, but I won’t wear one in the mountains, nor will I have to wear one poolside at the villa! Summer seems to have deserted the U.K.
Given that they have now opened the corridor to Portugal (albeit it's already under risk again!) I have everything in place to continue my holiday which was interrupted in March, for 7 weeks at the end of Sept. I think it's the first time I will miss a whole month in the UK!

I do hope it goes ahead. I have an insurance which covers for COVID I do hope it opes ahead.

My daughter flew out on Saturday for a week and the flight was full but she said the airports were not too bad.
I’m considering Portugal pre Spain. Anytime in the next 48 hours in fact if I can persuade pals to join me
 Are you brave enough ? - Bobby
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53970217

Staycations for us!

ironically, after being furloughed for 5 months, I booked two weeks annual leave as my wife had to take holidays (she is a nurse so has not been furloughed). Two weeks starting from Mon 7th Sept.

Yip, you guessed it, laptop delivered last week and we start back on Mon 7th Sept! Work are allowing me to take the time off but as I was still in training (there were 20 of us who started the same time and were only actually working for 11 weeks) I will cancel my second week as this is when the re-training begins.

Next week I am off to the Isle of Mull for a couple of nights - have never been so another new plaxce ticked off. Have an overnight in Oban on the first day - anytime we go to Oban we normally end up in the huge big Wetherspoons that overlooks the harbour and sit for a few hours drinking and watching the boats come and go. However my morals are telling me to not go near a Spoons after his Brexit / Covid stance. The Guiness is so cheap though and I can order from the app without leaving my seat so makes it safer right?????
Seems Portugal may go back on the bad boys list.
I’m leading a walk this week...one of our regular walkers went to Portugal yesterday. Two weeks in the sun. Nice photos of blue sky and fish dishes sent to me this evening.
Is quarantine about to rear it’s ugly head ?
Quite possibly. Portugal could well be included in the next week or two.

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-which-are-the-next-countries-to-be-added-to-the-uks-quarantine-list-12058367

To be honest if you really don't wan the risk of quarantine and the risks of delayed and cancelled flights I wouldn't travel anywhere outside the UK at present. l love overseas travel but the hassle and potential downsides make leisure it just not worthwhile at the moment.
For my holiday, quarantining at either end isn't much of a problem (I mean when arriving or getting home).

Had to do it on return from Portugal in March as the housesitting daughter was suspected with it.

We're out there for 7 weeks and our property has plenty of space (incl outdoor, on the roof) so other than going out for walks we wouldn't miss much. (Actually we are at a much smaller place for the first 7 days so if we had to delay going out there by a week I wouldn't be bothered).

But although the insurance covers us for covid emergency treatment and repatriation it doesn't cover us if we travel against FCO advice.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 1 Sep 20 at 00:15
 Are you brave enough ? - James Loveless
Some insurance companies are now offering cover when the policyholder travels against FCO advice.

E.g. Staysure, Battleface - others may be available.

Not sure exactly what's covered - you'd need to check.
Thanks - I'm with Staysure, recently taken-out policy - my policy excludes travelling against advice.

Battleface have an age limit of 60 which unfortunately disqualifies me but I'll have a scout around.

EDIT: It looks like I can add the travel against advice to my annual policy with Staysure for about £8 but that removes any cover for COVID. I wonder what cover EHIC would give me anyway for that?
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 1 Sep 20 at 09:01
Yesterday Jet2 cancelled my flight to Alicante....they cancelled all flights to mainland Spain throughout September & October.
Ryanair are still showing flights on most days, albeit some rubbish flight times arriving Alicante at midnight when the car hire companies have closed. I’m loathe to book with RYR after they took over 5 months to refund my last flight.
And I won’t be driving over in my car. I did consider it...given that at least 3 days a week it’s ‘abandoned’ on dirt roads and rough parking areas in the mountains, it’s not worth the stress of worrying about its condition when I return after 9 hours. Several nights a week it’s left overnight in car parks when we walk the 2 miles home after a meal and drinks, and given the state of local cars, the aggro of an insurance claim etc, it simply aint worth it..
I suppose most ‘normal’ tourists leave their cars in sensible places and overnight at their accommodation.
Sorry to hear that, what an a***.

Buy some ageing but comfortable and trustworthy car. Drive, park/abandon it wherever you choose without stress.

e.g. www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008112346498

It's not like it'll depreciate.

Or drive Barbie down there, park her somewhere safe, and rent some local POS.

There's always a way. Depends how much you want to go.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 4 Sep 20 at 08:12
Presumably when you fly you hire a car when you get there. Why don’t you do the same an leave your own car safely parked at your accommodation.?
CGN....I thought exactly the same. A good idea...I’ve no qualms about leaving a cheap hire car anywhere, obviously not leaving any valuables on display.

I looked at the cost of driving out...unfortunately solo as friends either won’t travel due to quarantine, or don’t want to spend hours in the car driving from N Yorks to a ferry on the South coast, then N Spain to the C Blanca. Personally I wouldn’t mind a night on the ferry and the drive across Spain.

Return ferry cost, with car and cabin, for the dates I want, £664! Road mileage each way, according to Google maps, is 816 miles. At 30 mpg, say 125kph on the autopista, toll free, almost £300 in fuel, plus quite a few extra expenses, best part of £1k just to get there and back.

I’ve now booked Ryanair from Leeds for £107 return inc 20kg baggage.
Fingers crossed they don’t cancel...otherwise it’s EasyJet from MAN or LPL....and then they may cancel.
Spain is still against FCO advice, have you got the insurance extension?

From experience Ryanair will not cancel the flight otherwise they'd have to refund people.
No. I rang my insurer ( an LV Premier annual multi trip policy) and was informed that if the holiday was booked pre FCO advice then the insurance is valid. I booked and paid for the accommodation ( in full) in February.
EHIC is valid until 31/12/20, and for those in receipt of a state pension on 31/12/20 it continues to be valid. I’m not, but getting close !
Other categories also having ongoing EHIC validity after 31/12/20..DYOR.
 Are you brave enough ? - maltrap
Our Jet2 flight to Mallorca in October was cancelled last week, we received a refund yesterdayI've reluctantly re-booked with Ryanair, for £111 less. They owed us refunds from May, we actually got our money back using chargeback from our bank, Santander.
They're keeping us sweating on a departure to Portugal on 28th Sept.

I'm quite happy to self isolate on return in Nov if necessary, or on arrival in Portugal. I'm expecting it to be a last minute decision though.

I find it odd that people who decided to go on holiday are now moaning at the Govt for having to cut it short - especially those who have cut short holidays in Portugal early, as it unexpectedly didn't go onto the banned list. They knew the risk they were taking when they went, surely?
 Are you brave enough ? - sooty123
> I find it odd that people who decided to go on holiday are now moaning
>> at the Govt for having to cut it short - especially those who have cut
>> short holidays in Portugal early, as it unexpectedly didn't go onto the banned list. They
>> knew the risk they were taking when they went, surely?
>>

Some people just expect the world to revolve around them.
>> I find it odd that people who decided to go on holiday are now moaning
>> at the Govt for having to cut it short - especially those who have cut
>> short holidays in Portugal early, as it unexpectedly didn't go onto the banned list. They
>> knew the risk they were taking when they went, surely?

I think the generality is that if you choose to go abroad then the possibility of your destination moving from 'safe' to 'quarantine' is a risk you knowingly take. We certainly approached our holiday in France on that basis. If either of us still worked in an environment where that would have been a serious problem we would not have gone.

Maybe where Portugal is concerned there is a bit of and issue. It was moved from 'quarantine' to 'safe' and then very quickly the government began prevaricate over whether that was right and whether it should be reversed. The classification should be managed in such way as to avoid countries flipping from one status to the other and back again in short order.

It's also not making a great deal of sense when the constituent nations of the UK have different lists. It seems now that one can fly from certain places to say Bristol or Liverpool and drive to Wales but be subject to measures if you've flown to Cardiff.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 4 Sep 20 at 14:22

>>
>> It's also not making a great deal of sense when the constituent nations of the
>> UK have different lists. It seems now that one can fly from certain places to
>> say Bristol or Liverpool and drive to Wales but be subject to measures if you've
>> flown to Cardiff.
>>

Apparently not, if your final destination is Wales then it doesn't matter what airport you land at.
>> was right and whether it should be reversed. The classification should be managed in such
>> way as to avoid countries flipping from one status to the other and back again
>> in short order.

If you dont government get accused of dragging their feet.

>> It's also not making a great deal of sense when the constituent nations of the
>> UK have different lists.

Not surprising really, it wasnt that long ago when you couldn't travel between the UK nations as they had different lockdowns.

Tourists are now moaning that the part they came from was "safe". Now if you really want confusion try locking down travel from different regions of different european countries.

At the end of the day I have not a jot of sympathy for anyone moaning about european holiday restrictions, You knew what you were getting in to.

Nor do I have any sympathy for the airlines moaning about the restrictions, they were the main parties spreading it rapidly round the globe in the first place, and really have no qualms in doing it again.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Sep 20 at 16:17
... and I'd add that I really DON'T think it's that confusing having different rules for England, Scotland and Wales. OK there may be some complications (e.g. people live in Bristol who flew from Cardiff) but is that really too much for people to comprehend these days?
I've seen on the news people complaining that Portugal *didn't* become a quarantine location as they'd changed their flights to beat any rule change and lost out on two days holiday!
It must be terrible for them.

Fancy the Government thinking that just because the world is fighting a virus, people are getting sick and sometimes dying, economies and businesses it's ok to disrupt some people's holidays.

Yet more passengers for Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B.
 Are you brave enough ? - Manatee
>> Yet more passengers for Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B.

I've just looked up the full list...all I could remember were telephone sanitisers and management consultants.

"telephone sanitisers, account executives, hairdressers, tired TV producers, insurance salesmen, personnel officers, security guards, public relations executives, and management consultants."

What I do remember is that around the time that was broadcast 40ish years ago, a friend and colleague of mine was trying to emigrate to Australia. They turned him down, and he took it as a personal insult. There was a list of favoured occupations and he didn't qualify on those or any other criteria despite or maybe because of having a PPE degree from Oxford.

The list of occupations that would have got him into Oz at the time was remarkably similar to the above. I remember it having hairdressing and insurance sales on it.
>> "telephone sanitisers,

I am old enough to remember the Phonatas ladies in offices.

phone Sanitisers - A service that died

Strangely thereafter we then got a pandemic.......
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Sep 20 at 20:05
I remember, in the era of the GPO standard dial phone, inheriting desks from smokers, people with chronic halitosis, greasy hair/ears or just a general tendency to shed skin cells.

In one place circa 1979 we had bottles of near absolute alcohol used with some sort of print duplicating package intended for addressing envelopes. It could equally be used with tissues to clean the yuk from the telephone handpieces.

Also good for cleaning phone dials which harboured all sorts of nasties. Got quite used to dismantling phones whenever moved to a different desk.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 4 Sep 20 at 20:58
Office life eh? Always on the edge...
;-)
>> I remember, in the era of the GPO standard dial phone

Oh for the days of STD. You can't get a Sexually Transmitted Disease from a telephone, but you can from a telephone operator.............................................
>> UK have different lists.

Surely that is precisely the whole point of devolution?

The Scots, Welsh and Irish wanted devolution. They offered it to the English who said "no thank you"!

Therefore each of the constituent parts of the UK makes up its own mind. That's what you wanted. That's what you got.
Err, if the Welsh, Scotts and NI governments are devolved, by default ours must be as well.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 5 Sep 20 at 21:22

>> Err, if the Welsh, Scotts and NI governments are devolved, by default ours must be
>> as well.

No. There is no devolved English parliament. The parliament that meets at Westminster is the UK parliament.
Only in name. Currently it has a large enough ENGLISH majority to pass laws.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 5 Sep 20 at 21:23
Who's Scott?
;-)
 Are you brave enough ? - Manatee
>> Who's Scott?
>> ;-)
>>

A chap with no feet, who just puts his stumps into two plant pots.

Picture of him here:

tinyurl.com/y54d3arz
Sorry I'll use SCOTCH next time

(jeez the drunken peasants in skirts are a grumpy bunch)
>> (jeez the drunken peasants in skirts are a grumpy bunch)

Don't be too harsh, look at the neighbours they have to put up with...

;-)
>> Err, if the Welsh, Scotts and NI governments are devolved, by default ours must be
>> as well.

The West Lothian Question has been partly answered but not by an English Assembly.
The Scots, Welsh and Irish wanted devolution. They offered it to the English who said
>> "no thank you"!

When did the Government of the UK offer the English a devolved Parliament? I don’t remember being asked.

>> When did the Government of the UK offer the English a devolved Parliament? I don’t
>> remember being asked.
>>

Regional Assemblies were offered to the English, who exhibited a reassuring lack of enthusiasm for them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devolved_English_parliament
Opinion polls do no constitute an “offer to the English” and if you read the article you quote you will see that the results of those polls varied wildly.
The English Regional Assemblies were all abolished.

tinyurl.com/y3aftwe9
Yes bit we are talking about an English Parliament. Those assemblies were more like local councils with virtually no authority.
Portugal is now on the bad boys list. I doubt it will reversed by 28th when we are due to fly.

I don't mind the quarantining when I get back but I do like to be covered by insurance so I'll have a look what we can do. It may be that we can go without cover for COVID, which I'd take as a risk (given we don't do much other than go for walks) but SWMBO probably wouldn't.

I guess he EHIC would give us some medical cover anyway, just not repatriation.

Of course it may be that Portugal don't want us as I think our rate isn't so different form theirs.
As Jet2 cancelled all flights to ALC throughout September & October, including mine of 26/09, i rebooked with RYR. They then cancelled my outbound flight, which I rebooked, and they’ve now cancelled my inbound. Which I’ve rebooked.
Lesser mortals would give up and stay home. The pull of walking in the mountains several days a week under blue skies, and late afternoon swims is too strong.
That and €3.20 bottles of Verdejo in Lidl .
When are you going now, early enough to still catch some decent weather?
27c in Alicante yesterday according to my friends who are out there.
>> 27c in Alicante yesterday according to my friends who are out there.
>>

Very good still then.
Normally late September...this year it’s 12 October. Now returning 8/11 but flexible....if all ok in U.K.( elderly relative) I’ll stay longer if the weather is good...I’ve stayed mid November and it’s been great. Long trousers and fleece in the evenings, but private/communal pools are warmer than in May, and the sea is still ok for swimming. It is for me.
The usual agents I use, which can be up to 4 times a year, have lots of availability in their rental portfolio.
Friends who were travelling out with me have had to back out at short notice, so I’ve moved to smaller accommodation in the same area.
It will still be perfect weather ( I hope) for walking in the interior...lots of hills to climb.
If you need details of the agents, a long established family firm who own almost all their rental properties, feel free to contact me. After dealing with them for several years, as have my friends, I cannot recommend them highly enough. If something goes wrong, they sort it. Pronto.
TBH LL, its all too much hassle, cancelled flights, unknown dates, changing arrangements constantly, seriously is it worth it?
You bet it’s worth it. Late October & especially November I find are dark dreary months. Wet & miserable.
Jet2 cancelled my flights and refunded me. Ryanair cancelled my flights, I applied for a refund, booked new ones. Changed my accommodation within the agents rental portfolio...took maybe 30 minutes looking at several alternatives, location, prices then emailed them with my choice.
To me that isn’t a lot of hassle.
Especially when i can wake up to blue skies, a pot of tea outside on the terrace, with a bowl of fresh fruit y yoghurt, a late afternoon swim in the sea after a days walking in the mountains of the Marina Alta. Or an afternoon on the beach ( it’s still warm enough in November) with a spot of paddle boarding.
Can’t do that on the Ribble in Settle.
Although admittedly the beer is better in Settle. If the pubs are open.....
 Are you brave enough ? - helicopter
What are you doing regarding your travel insurance LL?

Any normal travel insurance ( mine is LV annual cover ) to a country where FCO advises against travel is automatically void. My lady friend and I ( both in our 70's) have just cancelled out three weeks in Tenerife at the end of this month for that reason although we both have EHIC cover to year end.Just not worth the risk IMO.

Been in the travel agents today looking to go to Madeira instead but I now worry about the Covid test that they insist on required within 72 hours of travel. Do I get it done in UK beforehand at extra cost or have it done when we arrive and risk isolation in hotel room for 14 days if positive....

Looks like we might be staying in Eastbourne..
I too have annual LV Premier cover. I paid for, and arranged, the now delayed trip when I was in Spain earlier this year. I normally put a deposit on the accommodation, book flights and car rental later.
I rang LV. Was informed that if the trip was booked pre FCO advice ‘against all but essential travel’ then the insurance was valid. I need to confirm that....but EHIC continues, through 2021 and beyond if your are in receipt of a State Pension on 31/12/20.
What’s the worst that can happen ? If you catch CV in Spain they won’t leave you to die in the gutter. In the meantime enjoy the weather, outdoor lifestyle, and make the most of your time on top.
When I return I’ve a long job list whilst in quarantine...3 rooms to redecorate, pressure wash outside, Spring Clean, binge watch Scandi Noir and Breaking Bad.
Get your test done pre travel and enjoy Madeira. I know some great back street bars in Funchal!
>>they won't leave you to die in the gutter

No, they won't.

However;

- They will come after you or your estate for the bill
- Ongoing drug availability will be an issue (once out of hospital you may simply not get them)
- Convalescence will be a major problem (when you no longer need medical treatment but you do need care)
- Repatriation of a live but sick body is VF expensive. (Can be 20 - 30 times flight cost)

And don't forget, if your insurance is void because you travelled against official advice, it's not just COVID you're not covered for. Everything else is out too.

Now, I'm not saying don't travel without health insurance. But I wouldn't.
I suppose it depends on your attitude to risk LL.

My understanding after a phone discussion with LV ( and my policy seems to be the premium ,same as yours ) was that if you travel against FCO advice is that ALL your travel insurance is invalid , not just Covid protection whether taken out before or after FCO advice was issued .

I would be very careful indeed to check and get confirmation of your cover.

Scenario of worst that can happen...you slip and fall in the mountains on one of your walks and break a leg or your back or neck , paralysed and need repatriation to UK and specialist treatment....who pays?

I know Madeira and Funchal in particular very well thanks having been there on numerous occasions but I am still considering whether to go or not.Need to check out cost of getting tests in the 72 hours before flying.
>>I suppose it depends on your attitude to risk LL.

From time to time I get involved in trying to solve the problems of people who get sick or have accidents or die abroad. Do not underestimate the impact on you, your pocket or your friends & family.
I agree with you about travel insurance...my annual policy is circa £100....a few years ago I had to take out specialist insurance for a 16 day whitewater trip down the GC. Cost me £350 I think, but in a worst case scenario heli evac and medical costs might have cost me my house.
Most travel insurance policies cover rapids up to grade 5. In the GC, and Marble Canyons, they are graded somewhat differently, 1 through 10.

The LV home website states “ if your travel insurance was bought or renewed before September 14th 2020 you will be covered for medical emergency and cancellation claims due to COVID-19 as long as there were no travel restrictions in place when you booked your trip”.

I booked the accommodation in February...paid in full. Didn’t book flights or car rental until very recently, but assume I’m covered. That statement seems straightforward enough.

Good to go.
Sounds like you've made the smart decision for your trip.

My issue was with the generic comment "What’s the worst that can happen ?". Because the answer is that the worst is scarily awful.
It's nice and warm here in Portugal, to where I flew last Monday with 20 other people on an EasyJet flight from Luton. The airport wasn't overly busy and the flight left and arrived early. The car hire was off airport and were a bit slow picking up but really, for €240 for 6 weeks you can't complain. (Well, I have a Citroen C3 so I suppose you can, but we'll be doing not a lot of miles!).

My experience so far in large and small supermarkets and Decathlon is that everyone, that's everyone, wear face masks in the stores. And they wear them over both their nose and mouth. Quite different to the UK I know and love. If you don't the store staff or a fellow shopper take issue with you.

The bars are open and we've been to them (outdoors only) and they sanitise your table and chairs before you are seated and take the expected precautions, with all staff wearing masks all the time. I believe you can't just sit and drink (i.e. without a meal) after 8 but I can survive that.

Re insurance, I thought I'd previously explained how that works but maybe some missed it. I paid a supplement so that my regular insurance gives all it's cover even though we have travelled against FCO advice, except it gives no cover for whatever the cause of that advice is (i.e. COVID at present). Therefore we paid another just over £100 for an insurance from a Portuguese company specifically for COVID cover which covers us for treatment here and also repatriation costs etc. (As it happens the total of those two insurances is about the same as what the previous year of travel insurance cost me with a different provider!).

We've been out walking most days so far, even yesterday when it rained a little, and the rest of the day is spent around the house, mostly up on the roof terrace. We did go to the beach one day, which was virtually empty, so we hired a pair of loungers for the price of a modest meal for the day and I managed my annual dip in the (pretty chilly) sea.

I have to say on't think I am any more at risk here than I would be at home, and its warmer. There is plenty I wouldn't do as we have been fairly risk averse and cautious during this, and the journey was the part I was concerned about, but it has all gone rather well so far. The flight back is not until 7 Nov so I'm hoping that the second wave will be past by then. (Portugal is also having one but apparently it's affecting mainly Romanies and care homes at the moment)
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 3 Oct 20 at 23:51
Car hire. Just remembered I need to renew my annual CDW policy which expired in April.
Through DYS I’ve booked a Fiesta (Firefly) for €36, then for the second fortnight a Seat Ibiza (OK Cars) for €39. Free cancellation and full to full fuel on both rentals from ALC, albeit limited mileage ..300km per day. No additional driver, and €1100 blocked against your cc in case of damage.
I’ll probably get a Punto or Fiat 500L pile of poo.
Fortunately, I booked, with a 30% deposit, my February-April 2021 Spanish holiday rental in February 2020. Guess I’m fully covered for that too. Pure luck,but I always book specific long term winter accommodations 12 months in advance due to the normally high demand with this particular company.

Loss of luggage doesn’t unduly bother me. A 10kg carry on is often sufficient for 8/10 weeks in a warm climate. Skiing...that’s a different kettle of fish. Boots, helmet, full winter kit inc thermals, top layers. I have to wear some of it on the plane.
Skiing this year should be interesting...social distancing in a cable car jammed in like sardines. Often the only way to get to the high points in several resorts I know. Glad I’m not a resort operator in the current climate.
I’ve just spoken to LV. Despite the above still on their website, which I read as being covered for Covid if you booked the holiday before FCO advice against travel ( I paid the 30% deposit in November 2019, paid in full February 2020) it seems I’m not covered for anything, apart from reimbursement of my accommodation costs.
Eek. Well, are you feeling lucky, punk ? (Dirty Harry quote)
 Are you brave enough ? - Crankcase

>> Eek. Well, are you feeling lucky, punk ? (Dirty Harry quote)

Well you don't want to get there and have THIS Dirty Harry quote come to mind.

"You forgot your fortune cookie. It says, ‘You’re s*** out of luck.'"
As you say...Are you are feeling lucky LL.

Last night I was talking to a friends wife who has just finished quarantining on return from Portugal.

She flew there at her own cost to look after her 30 year old son who got drunk on holiday and fell over causing a significant head trauma and skin loss. He was patched up by the Portuguese health service at no charge but had to use a private hospital to get clearance to fly home at a cost of £500 for an examination and clearance certificate.

He did not have any travel insurance, not because of Covid, just plain stupidity...
>> He did not have any travel insurance, not because of Covid, just plain stupidity...

Pretty common. That and insured but not covered for drunken japes.
I’ve taken lots of risks in my life...aged 14 my father would drive me into the Dales on a Friday night, with a ‘pup’ tent and stove, assorted Heinz tins, including tinned puddings to be boiled. Older lads would take me caving..I had a cut down boiler suit, borrowed carbide lamp and old wellies. Climbing the next day. These days he’d probably be prosecuted for child neglect, but he was on Arctic convoys aged 18 which was a bit more risky.
And I’ve been up my fair share of steep snowy mountains in my teens without crampons or ice axe. Shared ****less half way up but survived.

But foreign travel...I’m ultra cautious. Just bought a policy ‘Covid.insurefor.com’ a single trip policy which covers me should I be struck down in Spain...medical expenses and repatriation if necessary, despite travelling against FCDO advice. £55 for 28 days. The web chat I had when enquiring about this policy has been recorded and emailed to me. It doesn’t cover cancellation, which I didn’t need or want anyway.

Should be covered now...I won’t be mingling with any crowds, most of my time will be spent in the mountains, on the beach, in the sea. And outside bars for an hour or so in the evenings.
Portugal is pretty quiet at the moment. Just spent the day in the beach, €15 for a pair of loungers vbyt they were a good distance from neighbours when they turned up. We've stayed outside at all the bars we've visited (not many!) and as it gets quite cool by about 7 we're on early nights anyway - bu7t the small square of bars hasn't been that busy whenever we've been there.

I got told off in a supermarket the other day for inadvertently queueing too close to the person in front at the checkout and I've seen a couple of people challenged in shops for not wearing or not properly wearing a mask.

Someone somewhere once told me a horror story of repatriation requiring a special flight because it had to stay under 10k ft or something - £50k was the story. may not be true, no idea.
>>£50k was the story

From Chile, which is usually about an £900 economy flight, £20,000 for an escorted flight, £50,000 on a stretcher and £200,000 if special care is required.
Wow. £200k. That’s more than a 911 GT3 RS !
Taking a stroll in the Torres del Paine NP, which is near the top of my bucket list, means I really do need medical cover in that part of the world.
>>Taking a stroll in the Torres del Paine NP, which is near the top of my bucket list, means I really do need medical cover in that part of the world.

Christ yes. And if you do decide to go, make sure you speak to me so that I can put you in contact with the right people. Lot's of people get ripped off, have a miserable time or miss the best stuff.

e.g. Do NOT go in Dec - Feb. The best weather, to be sure. But it's like Blackpool beach in summer. You can end up walking in a crocodile on some paths.

Mid November is the best time IMO.
 Are you brave enough ? - Crankcase

>> COVID-19 as long as there were no travel restrictions in place when you booked your
>> trip”.
>>
>> I booked the accommodation in February...paid in full. Didn’t book flights or car rental until
>> very recently, but assume I’m covered.

The LV definition of "a trip", also from their website, is

A journey that takes place during the period of cover which begins when you leave home and ends when you get back home...

I might be inclined to read that as you needed to have booked the flights before September as well, as it was only when you finally did that you completed their definition.

And if there's half a million quid at stake I'd be getting it in writing that it was ok too. But that's just cynical old super cautious me.

I am not at home at present but all I can say is that when I read through my LV policy there is a specific clause negating the policy in total if you travel against FCO advice...no ifs or buts , and my customer service conversation confirmed that.

I too am very cynical and agree with Crankcase, I would be getting it in writing from LV that you are covered ...and confirming in writing what exclusions are in force in the current climate.

You know the saying about a verbal contract not being worth the paper it is written on.....
Last edited by: helicopter on Sun 4 Oct 20 at 08:23
Here's the Staysure documents for the policy I have.

Main document:

www.staysure.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Staysure-Travel-Insurance-PD-AUG20-V7.pdf

and the "FCO extension"

www.staysure.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Staysure-European-FCO-Travel-Advice-Extension-AUG20-V4.pdf

and the Covid insurance

www.portugaltravelinsurance.com/

I must admit I wouldn't go sharing a cable car with other humans, or a bus, or many other things. There is a "gentlemans club" here in Ferragudo but she won't let me go there either, even if I wear a mask!! :-)

>> The LV definition of "a trip", also from their website, is
>>
>> A journey that takes place during the period of cover which begins when you leave
>> home and ends when you get back home
>>
>> I might be inclined to read that as you needed to have booked the flights
>> before September as well, as it was only when you finally did that you completed
>> their definition.

I'd be very chary about that too.

It is though a pretty poor show that big UK players in this market have not got their ducks in row over Covid related FCO advice.

In the vast majority of cases FCO advice against travel is triggered by armed conflict, significant civil insurgence or maybe national disasters such as earthquakes. Possibly stuff like Ebola too.

Covid on the other hand is something we're going to have to live with for the foreseeable. It's a known risk, prevalent in the UK and, barring those with other underlying health conditions it's often mild or asymptomatic. Travelling to areas where it is in wide circulation has NO bearing on other risks like slips/trips/falls or sudden onset cardiac or other circulatory issues like stroke.

Iff travelling to a normal holiday destination cover should remain but with an additional premium for Covid related claims.

Maybe it needs some liaison with the FCO so the Covid travel advice is in a different category from the war/insurgency stuff.
I think a lot of the travel insurers are covering Covid, but only if you are not in a place which is not recommended.

They have also recommended against travel to countries where the terrorism threat is elevated.
 Are you brave enough ? - MD
>>I know some great back street bars in Funchal!
>>
Yep so do I. I 'popped out' once many years ago from our accommodation to do a bit of shopping.

SEVEN hours later........she was not happy. Location: Just behind the Labourers Market, i.e behind the fish market area and across the road. It may have changed hands now. Happy daze!
 Are you brave enough ? - Dog
Testing - all quiet on the C4P front??
Last edited by: God on Wed 9 Sep 20 at 13:00
Keeps our job nice 'n' easy!! :-)
No posts for over 24 hours - that must be a record, Shirley?
Whether it is a record or not, I think it should be worrying for the proprietors.
The Brexit Wars saw orf a lot of regular posters, and the site lacks development:

"My drive is currently being paved
When it's finished I will be able to:--
park my current cars, bikes and other motors here for you to take a look

create an album of other motors I have owned or driven for you to read

let you know a bit more about me - well at least only the bits I want you to know!

let you read some of the stuff I have contributed here".
Well we have just booked flights out to our apartment inTenerife for three weeks as the FCO advice for the Canaries has changed as of tomorrow..

We were previously due to go on Thursday of this week and had to cancel the flights when the FCO put the Islands on the banned list. We now fly out on Sunday and the new flights are actually cheaper than those we had to cancel .

Looking forward to getting in a bit of sunshine before Christmas .

........( speaking of which , I have just consumed the first mince pie of the year)
Good luck, I hope it's a great trip.

As for the mince pie, that's the sort of information one should keep to oneself for fear of upsetting those in far off lands.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 24 Oct 20 at 16:25
>>in far off lands.

Remember all the people who live in far off lands
In strange and lovely cities or roam the desert sands...
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 24 Oct 20 at 17:26
It all gets a bit too religious for me after that...

Remember all the children
Who yet have never heard
The truth that comes from Jesus,
The glory of His Word.
Have a good fahrt, retpocileh.
Thank you Dog..I had almost written off heading abroad this year so it just fell right .
I will fahrt well...

The Valenciana regions starts a curfew this weekend until 9th December....that’s includes me on the northern Costa Blanca. You’ve got to stay at home, unless going to/from work, on a mission of mercy etc between midnight and 6AM.
That’s stuffed up my social life then, although it’s probably not much fun walking at night in the mountains or swimming in the sea with a water proof head torch. Life’s a beach.
We have a curfew here also, and the logic escapes me. What harm is somebody going to do on the streets at 02:00am that they will not do at 10:00am?

Rather the opposite I would have thought.
Ah, now, y'see, thing is, the virus is quite harmless until after 10.00pm, or if you're at work.
;-)
>> We have a curfew here also, and the logic escapes me. What harm is somebody
>> going to do on the streets at 02:00am that they will not do at 10:00am?
>>
Well to stare the obvious they won’t be committing street crime in they’re not on the street. It acts as a sort of firebreak allowing things to get back to normal and gives the police a break.
>>they won't be committing street crime in they're not on the street

So it's an anti crime curfew not a anti virus step?

>>It acts as a sort of firebreak allowing things to get back to normal and gives the police a break.

A break from what? And isn't that called not being on duty?

Curfews are surely aimed at civil unrest, not rampant viruses. Yet these curfews are framed as an anti virus measure.

We are in danger of entering a world where more restriction equals good and less restriction equals bad without any further justification.
I guess the view is that anti social activity drunkenness aid the spread of COVID.
>> Well we have just booked flights out to our apartment inTenerife for three weeks as

As far as you know, do you have to have a Covid test before you go.

We're due to go on the 26/11.

As I understand it ,no test required before you go but you have to fill out a Spanish Travel Health form online giving your contact and health details
This form can only be completed 48 hours before travel to get your QR code. I have just put in contact details for us both and it will not allow health details to be added

No QR code ,no travel.

Temperature is checked at the airport on arrival , too high and its a problem...and masks to be worn at all times in public places, even the beach.

I will be travelling Sunday so will update the form Friday .I will be able to update details for you when I get there.
I flew into Alicante two weeks ago. Lots of passengers travelling on my flight didn’t have a QR code. You weren’t asked for a QR code at bag drop.
Paper forms could be completed immediately prior to boarding...name, accommodation address, home address and contact details. Maybe a QR code was sent to your email address...if you have one. Or give you one at the airport ? I didn’t see anyone denied boarding.

And my temperature wasn’t checked on arrival.

Just saying.

I’ve felt hot since I arrived...it’s been scorchio most days.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 26 Oct 20 at 17:14
Well I am only going on what is on the Gov.uk site which gives the latest advice LL so I will not risk it and complete the Spanish health form to get the QR code.

We shall see what happens on Sunday.

Glad you are enjoying your holiday.
I wasn’t criticising your comment!
Like you I got a QR code before travel..you can start the process then complete it 48 hours or less before your scheduled arrival time.
I printed out a few copies, keep one with my passport, and did a screenshot of the code when it was emailed to me so it’s stored in my photos. I’m not sufficiently tech savvy to put it in my ‘Apple wallet’ with my boarding pass.

A friend who works for Jet2 told me several weeks ago that paper applications for a QR code were being handed out at the airport. Obviously lots of elderly folks don’t have the facility to get the code online prior to travel, and several were at the boarding gate before they knew anything about it.

I keep extending my stay...7 weeks now instead of only 4. Free flight changes allowed by RYR, and €200 pw for a 2 bedroomed detached villa, 15 minutes walk into Moraira, inc all gas, leccy, WiFi and final clean is cheaper than a staycation in the rain. Happy days.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 26 Oct 20 at 17:36
I floated the idea of staying a few weeks extra here in Portugal but SWMBO wants to go home.

She did say I could come back on my own if I wanted, so nothing has been ruled out yet. I think I'll leave it a week and see how much colder it really gets. Due to go home a week on Sat. I'd have to go home and come back to satisfy the insurance (also probably to get the car from the airport parking then someone can give me a lift to the airport)
>>see how much colder it really gets.

I used to live on the Algarve, Lagos in fact. Quite chilly, is what I'd say. Low/middle teens in November creeping into high single figures in December.

Quite sunny, bit of rain, not loads. Not good for sunbathing (spit) but pretty good for mooching about.

No tourists, no parties, lovely empty beaches and just the good local bars open.

Though I left there years ago, so with climate change who knows?

tl:dr better weather than England.
Very windy this AM on the northern Costa B. Still 24/25C for the next week, cooling down to 21/22C early November. Full sun most days.
I’ve just extended my stay for an additional 3 weeks..should be out of U.K. quarantine by Christmas.
Bargains galore on rental properties here at the moment. Need to be home by midnight for when the curfew starts!
More friends arriving from the U.K. imminently to escape lockdown
Actually good point, I was on the South West corner. So +5 degrees or so towards where you are Smokie.
There's still tourists about but it doesn't feel as many compared to previous visits at this time.

Beach is empty, so are the bars - but they are having to close by 8 if they don't' serve food (though I know at least one which is not doing so) and I believe you are only allowed to stay after 8 if you are eating.

The flat I'm in is huge as holiday lets go but tbh I think I'd be a bit bored here on my own for too long.

Those temps would be quite nice compared to the UK but maybe if I have a few week's parole I should save it for when it's really crap at home like Jan or Feb, and look for somewhere different (you may remember I did Egypt a few times on my own but I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable with it at the moment). We're already booked to be back here for the whole of March...
Well with 48 hours to go I filled in the Spanish health declaration online to complete the process of getting a QR code .
Advised the code would be sent by email immediately but 6 hours on guess what ,QR not received.

I cannot now get back into the form as the Spanish health website will not allow it as the details 'have already been submitted'.
LL,did you have to wait for the QR when you submitted your form or was it emailed straight away?

I have downloaded the paper forms from the Ryanair site and will complete them in case of a problem .
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I seem to remember the QR code came through almost immediately.
Good idea to complete the paper form...as several folks on my flight were doing at the boarding gate.
Continuing good weather on the northern Costa Blanca. Another cloudless day, high around 25C, warmer inland. Final swim around 5pm then beers outside on the terrace.
Cooler next week..chance of rain, but temps remaining 20C+.

I’ve extended my stay by 3 weeks...house improvement pre Xmas means I have to return home, but I’m back in January 2021 for 10/12 weeks.

Don’t forget your toothbrush
I have filled out the forms but have also emailed the Spanish health authority query line with my application details in the probably faint hope they will pick up on the problem.
It looks like I am not alone as others have reported such problems on the Trip Adviser forums.....

Toothbrush (electric) fully charged.
>>Don't forget your toothbrush

You can use it to polish the haemorrhoids.

Jealous? Me, no!
Well I am sitting on my balcony in Tenerife with a cold beer , temp 35 degrees when we arrived as opposed to 7 degrees at cold ,wet and gloomy Gatwick..
A lot quieter here than in February although some of it may be due to it being a Sunday.
No problem at the airport coming in with our Spanish health forms already downloaded and filled in by hand we got through quicker than the queue at the QR code readers.
Very seriously considering staying here until the end of UK lockdown if we can .
>>Well I am sitting on my balcony in Tenerife with a cold beer

I was there earlier today, Benidorm too ... on the webcams :(

>>Very seriously considering staying here until the end of UK lockdown if we can .

I did 3 months there on my own one winter back-in-the day, came back feeling a new man, the missus wasn't best pleased though ;)
Feeling a new man .. ooer missus!

What was his name Dog??
>>What was his name Dog??

Perro! .. I spent 3 months in the well-known Comodoro apartment block near the Arona Gran hotel.

I was renting a little tucked-away studio for £70pw but, met a woman (like ya do) and she got me moved to a front-line apartment with views over the harbour.

I had a nightmare (no kidding) half way through the 3 months that I was back in rainy Hastings where we lived at the time.

Boy was I glad when I woke up to see the Mr blue sky and the palm trees gently swaying in the breeze in tune with the masts of the boats in the harbour.
Just back chez LL rental...live music outside at a local venue since 16:00...acoustic duo for 2 hours, then 2 hours great music 70s through 90s.
€4 a pint though with free admission. Still 17C. Not going back to the U.K. anytime soon.
Enjoy Teneriffy.
Aitana calls tomorrow @ 1560 metres before beach/swim pre sunset
I won’t lose any sleep about being stranded here should borders close.
I regret coming back from St Lucia when I did!! But 125k avios plus £580 gets a return in First to Barbados on Wednesday, returning 2nd December. Though I suspect the return flight would be cancelled at some point...and I don’t imagine there’d be much sympathy if I wanted help from the government in repatriating myself ;)
From what I'm hearing you may not have much choice about how long you stay there LL.

Outbound international travel is included in lockdown so there could be a shortage of outbound flights for you to go home on.

We are booked for a flight on Saturday afternoon and there is no other availability this week on Easyjet site so if they cancel it then we will be here until they run a flight. I can think or worse places to be stuck but it is cooler this week.

Not too much of a problem if I get caught out here. If this apartment isn't available I have a friend with a villa and a flat both of which are empty. I'd have to speak to the insurers because we would go over the 42 days also the covid insurers would want another £100 or so I expect. I have enough of my prescription drugs for another month but SWMBO doesn't but they aren't life-saving for either of us. I'd need to sort out the car parking at Luton.

It's already the longest holiday we've ever taken. I think on balance we'd sooner get back but we are comfortable enough. We have 2 weeks isolation to look forward to anyway.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 1 Nov 20 at 21:46
I’ve emailed the property rental company...our 2 bed villa is available until January, and several other of their properties are vacant. At €275 pw (£125 each) all inc it’s not going to break the bank if we have to stay on.

My only concern might be car hire...I change my rental at ALC every two weeks to get the best ( by far) deal...I hope they let me get another car, but we’re not yet in lockdown here in Spain. Earlier in March this year when Spain was in lockdown, friends returned their hire car at the end of a 2 week contract period and weren’t permitted to get another.

The mountains are calling......
Michael O'leary on radio 5 live this morning saying no flights being cancelled, no refunds on flights that operate as normal.
.......though apparently you may change to a different flight at no cost...
>> Michael O'leary on radio 5 live this morning saying no flights being cancelled, no refunds
>> on flights that operate as normal.

If it were me, I would check He aint flying empty planes, even if the seats are paid for - hes trying to get people to change now.
He's RyanAir and that was reported in the press this morning. Easyjet said yesterday that they would review what flights fly after Wed.
A friend flew out Saturday to ALC with RYR. Almost a full plane. Rats leaving a sinking ship aka lockdown.
I’ve bought 2 RYR flights recently..so cheap I can afford not to turn up, but I’ve changed the date of one return flight FOC, and the reverse routing of another...my return to sunny Spain in January.
Assuming I return to the U.K. !
>>Assuming I return to the U.K. !

Regrettably thanks to BREXIT at some point you will have no choice.
Yes. Only allowed 90 days in 180 throughout the EU.
I’m hoping for a vaccine by 2022, then the worlds my lobster
Maltrap, looks like you won't be going anywhere on 26th unfortunately under the current lockdown in UK.

The regulations in Tenerife are also changing on the 14th of this month so that you would have needed a Covid test within I believe, the 72 hours before travelling.

I am looking to extend stay here now to return early December when lockdown ends.
The EasyJet site is showing flights on Sat and Sunday then nothing till Dec so I suspect our Saturday flight is still running. It only looks about half full though of course it can soon fill up. It is nearly twice the cost that when we booked it in March.

>> I am looking to extend stay here now to return early December when IF lockdown ends.
 Are you brave enough ? - tyrednemotional
...lockdown will end as scheduled......

but, in line with this being Lockdown rather than a circuit-breaker, it will be replaced by regional tiered interventions, with the whole of the country initially being placed in a new Tier 4 looking almost, but not quite, identical to Llockdown...

;-)
Zeddo. It will be a better curry here on Christmas Day than some overpriced muck I’ve previously had back in the U.K..
Yes...some of us do go for a curry on Christmas Day. Saves cooking sausages.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 3 Nov 20 at 16:39
As a Northerner I expect your culinary tastes to be obscene.
Well we have had our original return flight cancelled today so have extended our stay for a further 2 weeks to return on 4th December.
Tenerife for two extra weeks in the sun has to be better than two weeks in the cold and lockdown of UK...

Where are you staying ? My friend lived on the hill above C Adeje, several degrees cooler, great views out to sea. Work for her was a 15 min drive down the hill to the fleshpots.
After several extended trips to the island I got to know it quite well, a lot of it well off the tourist paths.
A tad cloudy in Tenerife this morning I notice .. nice and Sunni here in England today.

:o}
Absolutely correct Dog...only 21 degrees today and would you believe one or two spots of rain.

Spent an interesting morning watching beach volleyball played by young ladies wearing very skimpy thong bikinis ....

I know where I would rather be..????
2° here this morning with ice on the car! .. the west/sou'west of Tenerife has a very healthy climate - you too will return to Gran Britannia feeling a new man :)

I often saw Scandi's laying around exposing their breasts to the UV rays, little did they know my name is Ray.

:o)
I’ll take that as a compliment Z. No 3 day old turkey sarnies for me thank ewe very much.
Well it was all going so well until yesterday I tripped over a kerb and fell heavily.

I now have a fractured elbow and my arm in plaster for three weeks along with some heavy bruising and scraping and a skinful of volcanic ash

Must say that I have no quibbles with Spanish A&E , Used my E111 . The only cost was the painkillers.

Extra strong painkillers and San Miguel guarantee a good nights sleep.

My new lady friend is an ex nurse so I am being well looked after but swimming is out for the moment and my hire car had to be handed back early.

I will have the cast removed when I get home.
Fractured elbow? pffftttt You wont get the bleep bleep flash flash raspberry trolley treatment like I did then.
Interesting that your E111 still worked, I couldn't find an answer to that before we went to Portugal (tho I didn't try that hard!)

Did you take out extra insurance against getting Covid? Our regular holiday insurance explicitly excluded any cover for it, though I assumed I might be covered by the E111 but not the associated costs like repatriation (dead or alive) and other half costs.

Anyway, wishing you a speedy recovery...
E111 works to year end when we leave EU, luckily for me.
I did not take out extra Covid cover.

The doctor at the hospital did advise that normal procedure would involve seeing a specialist after three weeks at extra cost but as I will be back in UK then I will use NHS or take the cast off myself.

I am told the pain and swelling go down after 3-5 days......
That will put an end to your beach volleyball...
Get well soon and enjoy the weather.
Apparently it’s not very good back in the uk

>> Apparently it’s not very good back in the uk
>>

Well it is the middle of November!
>>Well it is the middle of November!

Firty daze have November, so we're 3/4 through.
Beach volleyball is good to watch here LL with
many young ladies wearing not a lot hurling themselves around.
It is taken very seriously indeed and a lot of serious competition goes on with hand signals behind the back like they have in doubles tennis.
I cannot deny that there are also many very good looking young ladies who sunbathe topless and very nearly bottomless .... not that I pay that much attention of course.????

Are you brave enough ? - tyrednemotional
>> Beach volleyball is good to watch here LL with
>> many young ladies wearing not a lot hurling themselves around.
>>

...did your physician also advise how long the swelling from that would take to go down....?
>>I now have a fractured elbow and my arm in plaster for three weeks

I can hear my ole mum ... "you never know what's around the corner" :(

I always think along the lines of, well, it could have been worse (hip!!)

One of my dogs tends to eat whatever he can and we have apple/pear trees, figs, blueberries, damsons, strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb and various nuts (like me) All when in season of course.

Well last night he had the squirts (like water it was) all over the light beige (almost cream!) carpet.

The ole woman was running around like a decapitated chicken with a can of Rugdoctor, whereas I remain (don't like that word) strangely calm - no use crying over spilt whatever.

Looked at it this morgen .. not good. I've been thinking about buying a Bissell carpet cleaner anyway :)
You should be able to claim on household contents insurance .
Last edited by: helicopter on Fri 20 Nov 20 at 09:26
>>You should be able to claim on household contents insurance

Good point! .. it needs cleaning anyway, we had a wine coloured carpet in the other place which didn't show the dirt.

I could take the carpet up here as there are 'proper' floorboards throughout the property, might not stay here though as it's not ideal for dogs/walking like ye olde cottage was.

Another lovely day in in Tenerife I see.
 Are you brave enough ? - sherlock47
>>>after but swimming is out for the moment >>>

www.healthandcare.co.uk/limbo-waterproof-protectors.html

Try one of these - I used one for an achilles cast some years ago. Leak free - the only problem is the buoyancy, when used with a foot it is all wrong. Foot goes up, head goes down!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Fri 20 Nov 20 at 11:51
Indeed Dog, another lovely day in Tenerife, around 27 degrees but with a nice breeze.Maybe a bit too hot and sweaty with a cast on.

Just had a siesta after a couple of beers and a pizza for lunch.

As regards the waterproof protectors Sherlock, my morning shower was achieved quite satisfactorily by my lady friend tying a kitchen waste bag around the cast and joining me there to scrub those areas I could not reach...

Swimming is more of a general hassle, just getting clothes on and off and moving my arm is very painful. You cannot look good on a beach with a waste bin liner or poly bag on your arm.....
Aren't you about 40 years too late for looking good on a beach, bin liner or no bin liner? I thought most here were... :-)
Probably nearer 50 years too late in all honesty......
I'm still in great shape, in fact my son complimented me just the other day in mentioning that I had an impressive 12 pack...I mean, that's like way better than a 6 pack right?
;-)
 Are you brave enough ? - neiltoo
I used to have a six pack. Now it's a Party Seven!

Age related gag

8o)

England arrivals to be able to cut quarantine with private test

www.bbc.com/news/uk-55052381
Latest Forum Posts