Non-motoring > Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. - bathtub tom
My energy contract's up for renewal and I was surprised to be reminded by my energy supplier who offered a beneficial renewal contract.

They sent the reminder seven weeks before the old contract expires, which gave me ample time to compare other deals. It also meant I could change without incurring exit charges.

I can't find a cheaper deal with any other companies (using the comparison sites) and the rate they've offered is lower than that offered to new customers.

I'm gobsmacked!

I won't name the company and so can't be accused of advertising.
 Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. - Dog
I'm gobsmacked .. as to why you wont name the company.
 Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. - smokie
I'd be surprised if you can get much cheaper than Octopus, even their standard tariffs. And they don't have exit charges so if they don't suit you can move on whenever you want (also swap tariffs round).

Gas per unit on tracker tariff has averaged about 2.1p (excl VAT) over the past 12 months.

Electricity on their standard tariff was about 14p IIRC (incl VAT) but I've been using their Agile tariff since early June and averaged about 8.5p + VAT.

And I will remind you that we would both get £50 if you used my referrer code to join up. :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 24 Jul 20 at 13:59
 Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. - R.P.
For the first time in 22 years, I'll be looking for a dual fuel deal if the move goes through. Living without an oil-tank will be very odd
 Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. - Dog
>>Living without an oil-tank will be very odd

Same here in 2 weeks - moving to a place with a bulk (propane) gas tank. New one on me, and just when the oil price is nice and low. I won't miss the smell of oil though.
 Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. - bathtub tom
>>I'd be surprised if you can get much cheaper than Octopus
I'm not prepared for the faff of a tracker tariff and prefer a twelve month contract.

My new contract:
E 14.08P/kWh 16.06P/day
Gas 2.21P/kWh 13.65P/day

uSwitch Octopus 12M Fixed July 2020 v3
Current tariff
Electricity
Unit rate: 14.99 p/kWh
Standing charge: 21.67 p/day
Gas
Unit rate: 2.38 p/kWh
Standing charge: 17.85 p/day
 Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. - maltrap
My rates with Peoples Energy are:-

Electricity 13.03266 per unit +13.2p per day

Gas 2.28822 per unit + 13.2 per day
 Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. - CGNorwich
I know it’s a competitive market but do they really need to price their unit cost to the nearest 100,000th of a penny?
 Energy contract renewal. Loyalty bonus. - smokie
OK those prices aren't bad (do both include VAT?).

Personally I am managing to get much cheaper electricity than that but that's on a time of use tariff which definitely isn't for everyone, although I don't put much effort at all into it. And my gas tracker is cheaper but may go more expensive as the days get colder.

One interesting side point is how my usage has changed over the past 7 or 8 years. I can't readily compare gas units but cost is down by about £100 pa, but in 2014 I used 4104 kWh which was broadly similar to 2013 and 2015. In 2019, and not forgetting I now charge a car on it, I used 3397 units. I think this must be down to changing to LED lights and reducing inefficient use e.g. not filling kettle for just one cup, changing to LED lights and so on.
Latest Forum Posts