Non-motoring > Power of Attorney Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 4

Power of Attorney - John Boy
I care for my partner who has Parkinsons and other issues. Her brother is her only relative and will be the main beneficiary of her estate. The 3 of us agreed that I should seek Power of Attorney. I recently discovered, however, that it can be held by 2 people and wondered if I should make her brother the other person. Unfortunately, he lives 150 miles away and is not too good with email etc. I'm really stressed and busy at the moment and don't have time to research the issue. If anyone has been in a similar situation and can tell me the pros and cons, then I'd be really grateful.
 Power of Attorney - Bromptonaut
Is this a Lasting Power of Attorney registered with the Court of Protection/Public Guardian? If so is it for Health and Welfare, Finances or both?

Joint Powers can be a problem if all decisions require both/all Attorneys to agree - note what you say about your Brother in (out?) Law and getting stuff done. Better if either can act individually.
 Power of Attorney - R.P.
Sorry to hear of your circumstances - it must be tough. What Bromp says. Keep it simple, keep her brother in the loop.
>> Is this a Lasting Power of Attorney registered with the Court of Protection/Public Guardian? If so is it for Health and Welfare, Finances or both?
>>
Thanks for responding so promptly, Brompt. She and I have just discussed your question and realise that all 3 of us have probably only thought of this in terms of Finance up to now. The Health and Welfare issues will become more pressing though and we need to have a 3-way phone conversation to discuss that aspect. I'll report back when we've done that.
We've just had the conversation and agreed it should be for Health and Welfare, plus Finance. It will also be set up so that the brother and I can act individually. Thanks again, Brompt and R.P. Since my last post, I've also now read part of the Government website on the topic. Any other observations are welcome, but I may not respond very quickly.
Latest Forum Posts