Non-motoring > 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 18

2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - Lygonos
Beirut earlier...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53656220
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - Manatee
Incredible that it should be kept there. It's a ready made bomb.
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - Zero
Fertizilor? thats the big bang theory?
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - zippy
If it had a "flash" it would have looked like a small nuke! Hopefully the fire gave some people warning enough to leg it.

On of my clients ships this stuff to farmers. Says it has to go in approved secure stores. I can see why now.
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - R.P.
Irish terrorists were very fond of it once upon a time. I believe that it's still considered a precursor chemical when bought in quantities...
>> Irish terrorists were very fond of it once upon a time. I believe that it's
>> still considered a precursor chemical when bought in quantities...

Yer, it was easy to get in bulk from tame Irish farmers, safe and easy to handle and transport around, easy to pack, and didn't need much Semtex as a trigger.

Largest IRA bomb was 1500 kilos packed into a Ford Cargo
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 5 Aug 20 at 08:57

>> Largest IRA bomb was 1500 kilos packed into a Ford Cargo

Edit, so that's 1.5 tonnes.
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - Manatee
They used quite a bit of it in WW1, for the mines under the German trenches. But tens of tons, not nearly 3,000.

When we were in Cyprus in 1989, there was shelling going on in Beirut that was just audible. They apparently heard this one well enough - and it's well over 100 miles away.
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - Falkirk Bairn
I was in Beirut several times roughly 50 years ago.

The first time was an overnight stay due to the plane leaving London late.
Early flight the next day so found myself walking along the front after breakfast - it seemed like a really nice place - all quiet, lovely shops, sunshine / roughly 70 degrees - a marked change from a cold wet & drab UK.

That was before the Lebanese civil war & all the trials & tribulations since. IIRC it was some 7 Lebanese pounds to the £ - today it is 2,000+ to the pound.

Today - Grinding poverty, failed health systems, poor electricity / roads, water supply going back to decades of problems.
>> They used quite a bit of it in WW1, for the mines under the German
>> trenches. But tens of tons, not nearly 3,000.

454 tonnes of ammonal and gun cotton under messines ridge, the largest man made explosion till the atom bomb came along
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - CGNorwich
When the SS Mont Blanc exploded in Halifax NS Harbour in 1917 she was carrying 2,925 metric tons of explosive. The city was flattened. An incident now largely unknown outside Canada.

www.britannica.com/event/Halifax-explosion
I was wondering about the WW1 mines. At least one is still described as the larget conventional explosions in history. I guess this one has dwarfed that.
Zero answers the question. This will have been massive then.
Think it s bigger than the Pepcon explosion

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KuGizBjDXo
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - bathtub tom
I presume the water filled hole (crater) in front of the damaged side of the grain silos is the explosion site. Seems to be no trace of any building there now. I wonder if those silos acted as a blast wall and help reduce damage. I'm surprised they're still standing.
Some large explosions - accidents...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fauld_explosion

Some here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_industrial_disasters

The Hirsoshima bomb was equivalent to 15kt of TNT. The Mail is suggesting that 2,750 tonnes of TNT, roughly a fifth the power of the Hiroshima bomb. That's doesn't seem right, the explosive equivalency of Ammonium Nitrate to TNT is about 42% so I estimate about a 12th the power, still a lucky escape as if this were city centre, the disaster would have been unimaginable.

Can't help feeling the Lebanon has enough troubles, they could have done without this.

There are 1,400 tonnes of TNT here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery slowly rotting since WW2.
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - Duncan
Report on condition of the hull.

Those who find this sort of thing interesting, may find this interesting.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/488870/MCA_Summary_Report_2013.pdf
 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate? - sooty123
I see the UK have search teams, a survey ship and aircraft to move people and supplies. I see there's something approaching 250k people homeless, must be an enormous amount of aid to help get them up and running.
Latest Forum Posts