Non-motoring > Outdoor paint Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 17

Outdoor paint - Runfer D'Hills
My house is one of those mock Tudor aberrations. I loath the thing, but my wife likes it, so I'm basically stuffed. It's on a dreadful breeding colony, aka an "executive" estate in deepest, most turgid suburbia on the edge of an extremely forgettable town.

However, for the foreseeable future I'm stuck with it. Anyway, the mock beams on the outside are currently painted black and I seem to be having to repaint or pay a man to do that on a far too regular basis. Wouldn't care if I actually had any affinity with the thing, but it's really teeing me off to be honest.

Thing is, can anyone here recommend a paint or other treatment that might actually last more than three years?

With many thanks in advance etc...

Outdoor paint - The Melting Snowman
If you are painting every three years then I assume the timber faces south. In this case there's not much you can do, we had a south-facing property last time and painting every five years was certainly needed. Three years sounds a bit soon. Maybe a woodstain might last longer but you would need to get the paint off first.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Tue 11 Aug 20 at 21:05
It's reasonably big thing, and as it happens, the front faces north, but there is a lot of wood on all sides and it just peels very quickly.

Just wondered if there's some super paint I've not heard of.

Outdoor paint - Zero
www.directplastics.com/upvc-fascia-boards/black-ash-fascia-boards?

Cover with these and never paint again
Good call Z, they would blend well with the antique style plastic window frames.

:-(
 Outdoor paint - No FM2R
If it is peeling off, doesn´t that mean there´s something wrong with the wood preparation?
Quite possibly, the whole place seems to be made of cheese frankly.
 Outdoor paint - Lygonos

I've been using Protek paints on wooden outhouses and kids' playhouse - seems pretty bulletproof but no paint lasts forever. Even Protek suggest 2-5 years though it looks like it'll easily beat that on the summerhouse.

Black is worst if sun hits it of course as it has the most thermal insult.

www.protekwoodstain.co.uk/products/royal-exterior-wood-finish
 Outdoor paint - bathtub tom
>>Just wondered if there's some super paint I've not heard of.

I've been using this stuff for the last few years on my gates and fence panels (I guess you could add some old engine oil). It does fade, but water still beads after a few years.

www.google.com/search?q=creocote
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Tue 11 Aug 20 at 22:47
 Outdoor paint - Dog
- - - Sikkens Rubbol Satura Plus
Thanks for all the suggestions.
 Outdoor paint - devonite
maybe you could use the Farmers "ye olde way" of preserving wood, (fork/spade shafts for e.g) - lightly char the outside surface with a blow-torch, lightly wire-brush, apply a thin coat of sump oil.

A friend tried this a few years ago on his fence, it looked good! - and the fence lasted years longer than next door's which was identical.
Word of warning tho, Don't set the house on fire! ;-)
Like the idea Devonite, but as you say, I could see that ending badly...;-)
 Outdoor paint - Zero
>> Like the idea Devonite, but as you say, I could see that ending badly...;-)

Dont invite Bobby round and you should be fine.
 Outdoor paint - R.P.
Call that mock Tudor....this is what you call Mock Tudor...! (just down the road from us)

www.dailypost.co.uk/news/property/north-wales-house-turned-medieval-17252040
 Outdoor paint - CGNorwich
>> Call that mock Tudor....this is what you call Mock Tudor...! (just down the road from
>> us)

Surely you call it mock medieval
You must be kind of near Llandegla RP? We get over that way quite regularly to do stupid things on our mountain bikes. We'll stop when we grow up no doubt.
 Outdoor paint - R.P.
Yes, about 17 miles. Passed through on various rtrips this summer - very busy atm
Latest Forum Posts