Non-motoring > Footwear Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 20

Footwear - legacylad
For those of you who walk for exercise, be it dog walking, short country rambles or more serious fell walking, can I recommend HokaOneOne. A huge range of footwear which was recommended to me a few years ago by serious long distance walkers.
If you walk on hard terrain, be it concrete, limestone or millstone grit, the cushioning in certain models is unbelievably good. For two decades I’ve used Superfeet footbeds ( see Superfeet.com) both for arch support and to reduce fatigue in my ‘active’ footwear, and I’m now on my third pair of Hoka Stinson ATR.
They’re not waterproof, which I prefer for several reasons, don’t last forever..mine last 6/9 months but they cover a lot of miles, but the comfort they offer to my underfoot is worth the trade off.
Different styles for different activities, but worth a look if you’ve never heard of them. Register with Hoka and there are sale bargains to be had on occasion.
Happy walking
 Footwear - Duncan
"They're not waterproof".

Not cheap, either.

What about Berghaus, or Hi-Tec if you want something a bit cheaper?

But, to each, his own, I guess.
 Footwear - legacylad
Duncan...you never pay RRP for them.
I’ve always got at least 10% off, although the latest Stinson ATR6 model has increased in price over my previous Mk 4/5.
Sale prices are around £75/£90 when bought direct.
I dislike these waterproof linings in fabric footwear....they develop a tiny hole through abrasion, water gets in and stays in. With Non waterproof fabric footwear the heat generated by your feet dries them out, and water gets pumped out after stream crossings!
No other footwear offers under sole cushioning like Hoka.
 Footwear - Manatee
I still follow your previous recommendation of Grisport. I'm on my third pair.
 Footwear - legacylad
When I spent a few years working in the outdoor gear retail trade I always recommended Grisport leather footwear...excellent value for money.
Only in the depths of winter do I wear leather footwear. I’m happy with occasional very wet feet as a trade off for wearing lightweight fabric trail shoes. Very rarely do I see anyone in our LDWA groups wearing leather boots as such.
 Footwear - Runfer D'Hills
>> When I spent a few years working in the outdoor gear retail trade I always recommended Grisport leather footwear..

Did you ever know a chap called Colvin? Pretty sure he used to have the Grisport agency at one time.

I tend to wear approach shoes for walking, and indeed mountain biking. But, I still have a 30 year old pair of leather, Norwegian stitched Mephisto Sherpa boots that get a run out in bad weather. Super comfortable but that's probably down to them having moulded to my feet over decades of use. I suspect they'll see me out. ;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 23 Aug 20 at 11:08
 Footwear - CGNorwich
There’s an awful lot of tosh And pseudo science talked about hiking footwear. As long as they fit I’ve always found one brand much the same as the next. Previous generations managed quite well with a pair of leather hob nailed boots
 Footwear - Dog
I'll stick with my Hanwags & Zamberlans fanx.
 Footwear - sooty123
If I'm out with the dog, I just wear normal trainers nothing fancy, if I'm out back of beyond on say farm land then it's wellys. Too muddy for anything else.
 Footwear - legacylad
Since my teens I’ve had several makes of leather boots. If they fit they fit. Doesn’t really matter to me who makes them. The secret is proper care....I’ve had Hanwag, Meindl, Zamberlan, Brasher ( rubbish) and probably lots more.
My current lightweight leather boots are some dirt cheap HiTec I bought from Millets..a discontinued model, I bought 2 pairs for £60.
My full on winter mountain boots, Sportiva Nepal cost me circa £250, and my 25yo Hunter wellies are still going strong.
Better than me in fact
 Footwear - Lemma
Brasher's rubbish? Really? Both the trouble and strife and I have pairs of Hillmasters that we have had for years. Just got them out and given a good clean up and soaking with dubbin ready for our week in the North Yorks Moors. Mind you since "merging" with Berghaus I would not be inclined to buy another pair. I have a pair of Skecher trainers for more lightweight use, very comfortable and easy on the feet but won't last forever.

I could really do though with a lightweight waterproof, preferably one that I can stuff in a day pack (Oyster, fabulous). My 3 in 1 Helly Hansen is past its sell by date. Most stuff I see these days comes to just below waist level, but I would prefer something a little longer that goes perhaps to the upper thigh area.
 Footwear - smokie
I'm a fair weather only walker and don't do fancy walking (not too many hills, mainly 3 - 5 miles most days over fields and forest, tracks and road) but I also like Skechers trainers. They obviously aren't waterproof but I do find them comfortable, except some of their styles have a narrow heel which doesn't work for me.
 Footwear - Dog
I prefer wearing my Hanwag Bergler or Zamberlan Latemar boots for the ankle support they give, as I mainly walk over ruff ground.

The Berglers are quite a wide fitting (last) so don't give my corns too much ag.

Wifey has a pair of Grisport hiking boots and is quite happy wivvem.
 Footwear - Zero
Hotters. Lord knows how they make them so comfortable out of the box.
 Footwear - Duncan
Yes, I believe they are popular with the older generation.
 Footwear - Zero
My feet fart in your general direction.
 Footwear - James Loveless
Another vote for Hotter. Now on my third pair. Each time, excellent fit and comfortable straight away.

I recently bought a pair of Allbirds shoes, described as "Men's Wool Runners". Incredibly comfortable, even without socks. Not cheap.
 Footwear - R.P.
Merrell slip on shoes for me. Been wearing them for years, wear them until they are basically falling apart. Even the falling apart ones have remained reliably waterproof. Once they leak I buy a new pair. I like slip ons so I can change them quickly as I'm unloading the dogs for a walk. Saying that, tonight's footwear of choice were a pair of Rohans (Brasher) with quick tying or release laces when we went for a late evening walk up the slopes of Moel Fammau. The Merrells have never let me down. There is a plan to walk Offa's Dyke at some point, may start investigating footwear !
 Footwear - Bobby
Have had various pairs of walking boots from different suppliers over the years.
I currently have a pair of Vango boots and can honestly say they are the comfiest I have ever had. They are a tent maker so no doubt made by someone else under license.

Find it strange folk recommending different shoes on here. Surely one size doesn’t fit all, if you pardon the pun, everyone’s feet are different, different conditions etc. What suits one won’t necessarily suit another.

Almost as strange as folk discussing wines and whiskies. Everyone’s taste buds are different!
 Footwear - Fullchat
Very much like crash helmets. You can try on the most expensive up market carbon fibre head up display lid on the market and if it doesn't fit your head comfortably its as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
I've tried a lot at shows and Schuberth just fit me. Unfortunately they are at the dearer end of the spectrum :/
 Footwear - R.P.
Schuberth for me. I've just binned my original (bought in 2008) - the other two are still doing stirling service.
Latest Forum Posts