Non-motoring > Insurance Overlap Legal Questions
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 4

Insurance Overlap - Ambo
My house and contents insurance expires on 16 September and would have been renewed on the 17th. However, I found a cheaper deal and arranged (and paid for) new cover as from the 16th.

That seemed to me to be logical at the time but it means I am paying twice for one day's cover on the 16th. The money does not concern me but are there legal or regulatory objections , so long as I don't try to make any claim under both policies?
 Insurance Overlap - Terry
Rather than being doubly confident that all risks are covered, in the unlikely event of a claim each company may be more likely to spend time arguing which has to pick up the tab rather than settling your losses!
 Insurance Overlap - Bromptonaut
I've done the same due to combining buildings and contents cover, which expired a fortnight or so apart, into one policy.

No questions asked and as long as one does not claim same item on both policies I cannot see why it would be an issue.

The insurance companies probably have some means to preempt fraud based on multiple contracts but it won't be triggered by a few days overlap on domestic policies.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 28 Aug 20 at 13:23
 Insurance Overlap - CGNorwich
An insurance policy is one of indemnity. You cannot claim for the same loss twice. In practice in the event of two policies covering the same loss they would both contribute 50/50. When you submit a claim one of the questions they ask will be as to whether you have in force any other insurance that covers the loss

Some policies have a “more specific clause”. For example if you take out a policy to cover your jewellery and you also have a household policy covering contents your household policy’s “more specific clause” might exclude it from contributing to any claim for the jewellery as it is more specifically insured elsewhere.

Insurance Overlap - No FM2R
>> are there legal or regulatory objections

As CG said, and for emphasis, there are no legal or regulatory implications whatever your arrangements are. Any legal objections would be part of a claim, not the inception of a policy.
Latest Forum Posts