Non-motoring > Going to the tip Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 17

Going to the tip - Crankcase
What's the tip situation near you? We still can't use ours, and while it's not critical I could have done with a tip run for a few accumulated bits.

Just wondering if Cambs is behind the curve here.

They say:

Householders should only take waste to a Household Recycling Centre if it cannot be stored safely at home and no alternative disposal options are available. This means that the waste/recycling could not be stored on your property without causing a risk of injury, health or harm to the resident or other members of their household or harm to public health and amenity. If you can temporarily store your waste or recycling in a way that does not pose a risk to you or others safety or human health, then you must do so.
 Going to the tip - CGNorwich
Norfolk operating waste recycling centres normally and they are all open as far as I am aware. Went to one last week. Since going to the tip constitutes a day out in these parts it’s obviously vital for our mental health that they remain open.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 10 Sep 20 at 09:12
Bah. I'd head over there, but assuming it's like ours you need to book a slot, queue in the road, and show proof of residence anyway.
www.norfolk.gov.uk/rubbish-recycling-and-planning/rubbish-and-recycling/find-your-local-recycling-centre

No booking needed or proof of I’d. Apart from a bit of extra spacing between cars and staff not able to,help with heavy stuff no real change.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 10 Sep 20 at 09:25
 Going to the tip - tyrednemotional
Our County opened ours on a (fairly quickly) phased basis from mid-May.

There were queues in the first instance, and staff were limiting the number of cars in the premises, but, with the exception of the busiest one in the County (where booking is now required) all is virtually back to normal (with social distancing and, only if necessary, a staff-managed limitation of the number of vehicles allowed in).
 Going to the tip - Zero
Open as normal here, no booking.
 Going to the tip - Bromptonaut
Open here with some variation to processes for Covid security. Usual imprecations about 2metre spacing. Waste goes in skips accessed form ramped platforms. Signs instruct one person at once on platform.

We took a load of garden waste to Towcester on Monday. Queue right around the site. Since I was last there they've changed the parking from parallel in line to a 'herringbone' pattern which improves both capacity and distancing.

Only issue was people ignoring the one person on platform at once requirement and jumping the queue if one was waiting to comply.
 Going to the tip - sooty123
Ours is a booking system, normally get a slot in 2-3 days. Very busy, with lots of awaiting about when you get there. The vast majority of the waste has been all put in one area, due to limited car parking slots you have to wait 10 minutes to go where most of the waste bins are. No idea why they've done it that way.

I think there's only one other tip in the council, I imagine it's much the same.
 Going to the tip - Terry
Local tip in Taunton is open and has been for a couple of months. Some changes on site to allow for distancing. Rather than booking systems etc, they have (or already had) a webcam installed showing the queue to get in to the site.

Look before you go - if queue short you may wait 0-10 minutes. If queue long you may wait 30 minutes. You make the choice.

Booking systems etc etc are bureaucratic overkill for a problem easily solved - distancing easily achieved as people queue in cars, every other parking space coned off etc.
 Going to the tip - Dog
I've bin going to the 'recycling centre' quite often lately due to moving owse. I gits there half hour before they open at 9:00am. I use to be the first one there for the last phew! months there's bin queuing even at 8:20am!

They have a system where if the last number of your car reg plate ends in an even number, then you can only go on a day with an even number - like today. I'm odd :)

I used to go to the one at St Austell which was manic but well run. Yesterday I went to the one at Launceston 2 miles from where we live now.

It wasn't well run at all really - I got there early but didn't need to. At the St Austell one there's a geezer on the gate who asks what have you got guvnor, and then directs you to the correct bin/s.

At the Launceston one I just had to get on wivvit. All okay though (I have more than one brain cell) and I think I prefer the less manic situation of the Launceston one over the well-run (but busy) St Awful one.
There's an informal system of waste disposal on most main roads. Clearly labelled as lay-bys. Small items such as crips packets and cans can be disposed of anywhere under the throw as you drive scheme.
Sounds like we are at the Draconian end of it all then. Did I mention they've also reduced what they will take. No paint or textiles at the minute either. Sigh.
 Going to the tip - smokie
Wokingham have a booking system and appointments were very hard to get till a couple of weeks back. They are still four days or so away so impulse visits are out of the question. They have installed some socially distanced "bays" at each of the areas to park in so it's a bit more organised that it used to be and , on the whole and IMO, it's better, though there are many moaning about it (as they do about everything these days...!!!)
 Going to the tip - R.P.
Denbighshire has an appointment based system, allows for five visits a month. Been a few times and it was very efficient. Despite being slightly obsessed with being early everywhere, I;ve never had cause to queue...it's good. As a bonus we are midway between two sites, so in theory we could do 10 visits using either car. The current system is well sorted, and efficient and I can see it being the norm beyond Covid.
 Going to the tip - Robin O'Reliant
Pembrokeshire has an online booking system. You have to supply name and address, car reg number and have a utility bill displayed on the dashboard where it can be seen from outside the car. You are allowed one visit a week. My rural tip is never busy even at weekends so it is a bit of a waste of time really, especially as transmission of the virus is very rare outdoors.

Libraries are still closed as far as walk ins go, you need to phone first and let them know what category of book you are interested in and they will have them ready in the foyer.
 Going to the tip - Runfer D'Hills
>> Denbighshire has an appointment based system, allows for five visits a month. Been a few times and it was very efficient...

Good job really, that's what small Volvo estates are for isn't it? Pensioners who like going to the tip? ;-)

>> Good job really, that's what small Volvo estates are for isn't it? Pensioners who like
>> going to the tip? ;-)
>>

Well that and cleaning, polishing and hoovering them at the weekend.
 Going to the tip - R.P.
Pensioners who like going to the tip? ;-) - yes a reasonable speed !
Latest Forum Posts