Non-motoring > Banksy & Copyright versus Trademark. Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 15

Banksy & Copyright versus Trademark. - No FM2R
So a s***ty attitude from North Yorkshire-based greetings card firm Full Colour Black who want to use Banksy's images commercially without his permission.

Nasty people.

The law is the law, however, I do wonder if they may regret attracting such attention from Banksy and his followers. I can think of many a way this could go wrong for them.

I hope so. I would take pleasure from the failure of their business.

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54189113
 Banksy & Copyright versus Trademark. - CGNorwich
The Copyyright law is there for him to use if he chooses. That he chooses to use another method is entirely inappropriate. Why he thinks himself special God only knows. Just an untalented scribbler on other people’s property with an overrated opinion of his own worth as far as I can see. A rather tiresome individual.
Of course the law is there, as I said, but that's not really the point. Neither is what you are or are not able to see.

It is more about a company who wishes to make money out of something which is not theirs.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 18 Sep 20 at 06:34
Any company is free to use non copyright material. There is no reason why they should not. It’s perfectly acceptable and legal.

If Banksy chooses not to the copyright laws he is in effect saying you may use my work without any payment.

That he choses not to is because he would have to disclose his identity and show that he is in the commercial world like everyone else and would rather damage his popular image of being a mysterious Robin Hood type character exposing the rich and corrupt world of big business. It would spoil his business model which is allegedly worth around $20 million a year to him.

Banks’s real talent lies not in art but in self promotion.
>>Any company is free to use..............

You're just regurgitating the article. No need, I already read it.
 Banksy & Copyright versus Trademark. - sooty123
I don't think the company made any statement, it was their legal firm.
As to the copyright issue, I don't see it as any different from companies that use music or other stuff that's not protected. They are using it but not created it.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 18 Sep 20 at 07:05
 Banksy & Copyright versus Trademark. - Zero
I think his art is brilliant and topical, his anonymity, and the ability to maintain it, is a genius promotion, his logic and business sense is complete rubbish. You can't on one hand say "copy-write is for losers" and on the other try and protect your stuff through another inappropriate means.
You can't
>> on one hand say "copy-write is for losers" and on the other try and protect
>> your stuff through another inappropriate means.
>>

Probably said when he was young, naive and wanting to be a rebel, now he's older and realised he can make money from it he's scrabbling about trying to keep the cash rolling in.
 Banksy & Copyright versus Trademark. - Bromptonaut
While I can see NoFm's point about the greeting card company Banksy does seem to want to run with the Hare and hunt with the Hounds.
 Banksy & Copyright versus Trademark. - zippy
Having had my work stolen, I am with Banksy on this one. They deserve to rot.
 Banksy & Copyright versus Trademark. - Manatee
I've no sympathy to waste on either party.

He can protect it if he asserts copyright. Tough nuts if he doesn't want to.

Anybody who builds a business on somebody else's work when their action is contested is taking a silly risk.

Reminds me of a picture in the office of a solicitor I knew in Leeds. Two farmers are squabbling over a cow, one pulling on its halter, the other on its tail. There's a lawyer milking the cow.
>> While I can see NoFm's point about the greeting card company Banksy does seem to
>> want to run with the Hare and hunt with the Hounds.

Indeed he does and I don't have much sympathy for him. And the law was applied correctly.

However, my point is the attitude of the company. Including the statement that having got one image they're now going after four more. I'd guess that they have every intention of producing a greetings card which they will then expect to protect with the law.

I hope they crash and burn.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 18 Sep 20 at 15:17
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/sep/18/banksy-show-me-the-monet-tribute-on-sale-sothebys-auction

Shame Monet is out of copyright. He would have a good case against Banksy:-)

Five million pounds! that’s an awful lot of spaniels.
Bless, credit where credit's due, you do put a lot of effort in.
Latest Forum Posts