Non-motoring > New electricity supply Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 14

New electricity supply - Manatee
Just venting really, but I am wondering if privatising things by just creating a private monopoly can ever really work.

I am dealing with UK Power Networks. I need a simple single phase domestic-scale supply at my building site. On the night of my house fire, UKPN turned up at the behest of the fire service and just removed the overhead cable between my house and the pole a few yards away. They have never charged me for this, presumably because it was an emergency.

Now they want about £1700 plus VAT to put it back. Fair enough. I have to provide a GRP cabinet and a concrete plinth on which to put it. It shall have ducting through the plinth, and a 600mm deep trench shall be dug from the cabinet to within 1 metre of the pole (the new connection will be buried). I am not allowed to dig next to the pole itself, UKPN will do that bit. Specifications have been provided. The design document says my cabinet must be at least 900H x 600W x 300D. I have accordingly purchased one 910 x 660 x 320 for about £370.

This cabinet is pretty big, but it was pointed out to me that another document they issued "Your to-do list" actually specifies a cabinet 1300H x 1080W x 480D, with a front opening not less than 1100H x 900W. That is enormous!

This cabinet has to contain a meter, a fuse and a switch. I guess I (my electrician) will have to fit some sort of distribution board but as the 910 x 660 cabinet is at least twice the size of my old meter cupboard I don't think this will be a problem. I think we can put the distribution point in a separate temporary cupboard anyway and my PM says we can use a domestic meter box on a stake.

Today UKPN conceded that as I had followed their design document which they "haven't got around to altering" my cabinet will be acceptable, even though their spec has changed. The cheapest one I could find in the larger size was nearly £1200.

I have decided this supply will be permanent. I've had enough. UKPN have confirmed that my electrician can put a sub supply in to the house (when built) and the meter can stay in the garden. This will save me another 4 figure charge from UKPN for moving the supply.

I've budgeted £3,000 to get the electricity back, from a pole 4 metres from my house! It probably won't be enough.

Compared to Scottish Power, UKPN are fantastic but they certainly make a meal of it.

New electricity supply - commerdriver
Just a thought, since this work is required because of the fire, is the charge, or at least part of it, claimable from your house insurance?
 New electricity supply - Zero
Seem to recall he got a lump sum to clear & rebuild. Services is part of a rebuild SOW.
>> Just a thought, since this work is required because of the fire, is the charge,
>> or at least part of it, claimable from your house insurance?

Good thought, but Zero's quite right. Once you have your cash settlement, you're on your own. They couldn't have cared if I had spent it on the proverbial Lamborghini.

The buildings claim was based on what they would have spent reinstating the house. Of course they saved a fortune because they wouldn't give me the VAT or the contingency in the estimates, and they reduced some of the provisional sums the tendering firms had put in and I had to try and negotiate them back up with variable success. But I get to build a house!

Among the things they wouldn't pay for was a lost car key, £384. They said I should claim on my car insurance. Of course I didn't, the excess was £500 anyway.
 New electricity supply - No FM2R
>>but I am wondering if privatising things by just creating a private monopoly can ever really work.

Not being pedantic, but it depends on what you mean by "work".

A nationalised company is typically run by people who have no idea what they're doing with little understanding of how to do it efficiently or effectively and little motivation to find out.

A fully privatised company is typically run by people who don't give a crap about the welfare of their customer and simply want to exploit the market and achieve the most profits that they can.

A nationalised company requires the Government to spend money usually at times when the Daily Mail wants them to reduce their budgets.

A privatised company will spend however much is needed to increase and maintain their profits.

Both are a crap solution.

A regulated monopoly was an attempt at an answer. And to be honest it is a reasonable answer, perhaps even the only one. But the execution is, predictably, crap.
>>Not being pedantic, but it depends on what you mean by "work".

Quite right to be pedantic, terms have to be defined before you can try to answer a daft question like that!

I have to give them credit for their style. They are incredibly polite and patient, and people have rung me up twice to ask whether I have been satisfied with their service. I told them I'll let them know when they have delivered it:)
 New electricity supply - zippy
I recall an episode of Homes Under The Hammer and they were following a seasoned developer who built social housing in Wales I think it was.

There was a telephone pole or similar that needed moving a few feet and the quote was several thousand pounds. The developer, astonished at the cost, commented that he was in the wrong business.
Ah, the pole.

"My" pole is about 6 inches outside my boundary, on a track that goes to a field behind the house.

Although the pole is already there, to bring the electricity to my supply point necessitates 6 inches of trench on the owner's land - for which they need consent (I assume they already have a wayleave for the pole). Lord knows what happens if the lady never replies - they sent her the forms today and asked me to go and talk to her!

The pole itself is wobbly, always has been. Twice on stormy nights when it was waving about and yanking at the cable attached to my house I have called them out. Each time they asked me for some rubble, and packed it down the (by then) enlarged hole. They commented that the pole was too short and not buried deep enough (apparently they can tell this from a plate on the pole) and said they would put it down for replacement. They have not replaced it. At least the burying of the cable will stop the yanking on my brickwork.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 6 Oct 20 at 19:33
>>plus VAT

As this is a new build I guess you can claim this back?
>> >>plus VAT
>>
>> As this is a new build I guess you can claim this back?

Good point, I don't know. Basically it's materials that qualify so I doubt it - maybe I can get the VAT back on my cabinet if it becomes the permanent supply.

Things like boilers, heat pumps, air conditioning qualify: Also materials for drive, paths, turf next to the house, plumbing and electrical installations, curtain rails (but not curtains or blinds). Floor tiles do, but not carpets. Kitchen appliances don't even if built in, but the cupboards etc. do.

>> >> >>plus VAT
>> Kitchen appliances don't even if built in, but the cupboards
>> etc. do.

I would be finding someone who charges for the cabinets in full but gives the appliances for free (if that is a legitimate way to legally avoid VAT).
>>I would be finding someone who charges for the cabinets in full but gives the appliances for free (if that is a legitimate way to legally avoid VAT).

That sounds more like evasion than avoidance.
Zippy, apropos of not much, I recall that you'd previously said you weren't all that well and were waking in the night. I notice that lately you've been awake in the middle of the night again. How are you doing?
Mark, getting 3 to 4 hours sleep a day but otherwise OK thanks, though I notice lack of sleep does impact concentration and decision making. (My natural, when I feel most rested is 8 hours a night.)

Hope you and yours are all well and avoiding the riots et-al in Chile?
Glad to hear you're coping and hopefully improving. Still, on the bright side, at least it gives me someone to read from time to time during the night. You and occasionally Dave, my nocturnal social life. [sigh].

Avoiding the riots is easy enough, it¿'s just a combination of annoying and inconvenient. Certainly that'd have to get to Civil War to but me at any considerable risk. It's a pity to see the country wrecked though.

Other than that, life mooches on well enough thank you.
Latest Forum Posts