Non-motoring > Free Britbox. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 27

Free Britbox. - R.P.
E-mail from BT this afternoon (surprisingly they still supply my land etc) - Free Britbox subscription for the next six months. Not to be sniffed at.
 Free Britbox. - sooty123
I'm guessing that the take up has been poor.
 Free Britbox. - R.P.
That was my first thought.
 Free Britbox. - smokie
I watch some bits on it. Spitting Image for one. Good to see it back, though "the old ones were the best"
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 10 Nov 20 at 16:45
 Free Britbox. - sooty123
Anything worth bothering with?

I think they've missed out, too late behind all the other OD providers. I've got more shows than I can watch with the Netflix and Now TV in the house. Then there's freeview and all the free apps.
 Free Britbox. - smokie
I'm not the best one to answer as I'm not a great TV fan really but there are repeats of some of the better series from BBC and ITV which may be of interest if I were incapacitated for a period. But like you I also have a million other sources of entertainment so I wouldn't pay for it.
 Free Britbox. - R.P.
Had a look through the choice, there's a vast number of films and boxsets on there, including a full hit of Carry On films (I'm not that desperate)
 Free Britbox. - CGNorwich
I guess Iave seen all the stuff on there worth watching and don’t really enjoy repeats.

Free Britbox. - Runfer D'Hills
I didn't have a TV until my current wife moved in when I was 34. She insisted on having one. I'm still not entirely sure it adds anything to my life.
 Free Britbox. - Crankcase
Well if she watches it, then at least it's subtracted something.
 Free Britbox. - tyrednemotional
I wasn't entirely sure whether he was referring to the TV, or the current Mrs D'H......
>> I wasn't entirely sure whether he was referring to the TV, or the current Mrs D'H...

There are, it has to be said, a number of similar characteristics, both, for example, quite often broadcasting the same trivial subject matter ad nauseam while you're trying to read or concentrate on something else...

;-)

Free Britbox. - MD
>> I didn't have a TV until my current wife moved in when I was 34.
>> She insisted on having one. I'm still not entirely sure it adds anything to my
>> life.
>>
BRILLIANT POST.
Surely if you feel a TV doesn’t add anything to you life the remedy is simple. The haven’t made watching TV compulsory have they?
 Free Britbox. - tyrednemotional
...just maybe, it doesn't add anything to his life because he chooses not to watch it...
It would be false to claim that I never watch TV, of course I do sometimes, if there's something I'm interested to see. But, it's not a habit so to speak. Before Covid especially, I was usually too busy during the day to have the time to watch TV, and my evenings were taken up with some combination of cooking, eating, dog walking, bike riding and swimming mostly. If I'm around the house I tend to favour the radio for news, music, drama and comedy.

I'm just not good at sitting down for extended periods of time I suppose. Attention span of a gnat according to my wife.

If I do find myself on a sofa for more than an hour, I inevitably fall asleep anyway and miss most of whatever it was I intended to watch !

Free Britbox. - Duncan
>> If I do find myself on a sofa for more than an hour, I inevitably
>> fall asleep anyway and miss most of whatever it was I intended to watch !

Welcome to my club!
I have a tangential but similar theory on alcohol consumption too. I try to limit it to when standing up, which has the natural effect of self regulation. ;-)
A TV is only a device. What you watch and how you watch is up to the individual. TVs are no better or worse than anything else we use. A good TV program can be a work of art, informative or entertaining. A book or a radio program can be complete rubbish.

I think that life without a TV set would mean that I was missing a significant element of modern life and culture. A bit like having no books in the house or never going to the theatre or cinema.
 Free Britbox. - Crankcase
>> Had a look through the choice, there's a vast number of films and boxsets on
>> there, including a full hit of Carry On films (I'm not that desperate)

Apposite. Just today I started re-reading Wes Butter's enjoyable and sad biography of Charles Hawtrey.
 Free Britbox. - MD
>> Had a look through the choice, there's a vast number of films and boxsets on
>> there, including a full hit of Carry On films (I'm not that desperate)
>>
OOH! Matron...........
 Free Britbox. - VxFan
>> but there are repeats of some of the better series from BBC and ITV which
>> may be of interest if I were incapacitated for a period.

From what I understand, most of the comedy's have been censored by the nanny police to make politically correct for the modern era.
 Free Britbox. - Bromptonaut
>> Anything worth bothering with?
>>
>> I think they've missed out, too late behind all the other OD providers. I've got
>> more shows than I can watch with the Netflix and Now TV in the house.
>> Then there's freeview and all the free apps.

I think you have to decide what you want.

I've got Amazon Prime, Freeview and whatever I can stream free from BBC i-player and the other services via my Chrome device.

I'm tempted by some bits of Netflix, particularly the drama about the Queen but there's also a host of BBC and ITV archive stuff I'd like to watch.

Streaming, like several other services from Microsoft Office, via music to Anquet Maps have turned what was a purcase model (DVD or Download) to subscription. How many subscriptions at 'only' £5.99 a month am I willing to pay?
 Free Britbox. - sooty123
We just keep it to a couple of subscriptions, more than enough. I did take out an amazon prime free upgrade but hardly used it and didn't use the TV part at all. Tried Disney, stopped it when the trial period ran out.
 Free Britbox. - Dave_
I did subscribe to Britbox specifically to see Spitting Image. It was... variable. I unsubscribed before the second month's payment was due, as I wasn't particularly interested in their 2-part US election special.

As others have said here, Netflix/Sky/Amazon Prime/YouTube offer an essentially limitless palate of viewing choices; Britbox doesn't really add anything for me.
 Free Britbox. - Bromptonaut
Took up the offer of 7 days free Britbox about a week ago. Enjoyed an episode or two of Morse and the current Spitting Image. Currently working my way through 'This Life' (drama about flat sharing lawyers) which I think I also have on video somewhere.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 17 Nov 20 at 12:24
 Free Britbox. - zippy
>> which I think I also have on video
>> somewhere.
>>

For the youngsters among us, may I refer you to:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Cassette_Recording

:-)
 Free Britbox. - R.P.
I subscribed to Apple TV to watch Long Way Up, cleverly they tied you into 11 episodes drip fed as an episode a week so tied into pay for a couple of months.Enjoyed some other content on there. Must remember to cancel
Latest Forum Posts