Non-motoring > Click Clack Basin Wastes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 58

Click Clack Basin Wastes - CGNorwich
God how I hate these thing. A design doomed to fail. The mechanism either seizes up leaving you with a basin of soapy water which you can't empty or the washer goes and the basin won't hold water. The washers vary from make to make so its almost impossible to get spares.

My traditional plumbers merchant laughed when I tried to get some to get some new washers for mine and suggest a new waste would be the way to go.

There was nothing wrong with a plug on a chain! Why are they always trying to improve things that work perfectly well.

Am replacing the wastes with the rotating type plug . Hope I have I have better luck with these.
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - sooty123
Never heard it called that before.

People buy them because they look a bit more modern.

If you want a plug on a chain fit one.

Be aware the rubber can go on the rotating ones, then you're back to square one.
I think Click Clack is a fairly standard name

victoriaplum.com/product/click-clack-basin-waste-slotted-bnwa04

People buy them for fashion certainly and in my case, because thats what plumber fit these days and they fit them because modern basins don't have a hole to secure the end of the chain so a plug on a chain is not a viable alternative

The design of the rotating ones I have ordered does not have a rubber seal
Might well be, just never heard it before. Ours are all the old fashioned plug on a chain.

Pretty sure they still sell sinks with plugs on a chain.

Well if it does fail you could always plug, you don't need a chain.
You you can indeed still buy traditional basins with a chain fitting but thats not what I have. A bit extreme to buy a new bathroom suite I thought so I decided to get new wastes

I now have two non functioning wastes with temporary rubber plugs which serve the purpose of retaining water but are deemed unacceptable by the boss on aesthetic grounds as they present you you with a gaping hole and a bit of the old mechanism when the pug is removed.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 19 Nov 20 at 12:45
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - Fullchat
I have something like this on a couple of basins. Work fine and stood the test of time. Mine don't have what appears to be an O ring.

www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/chrome-slotted-flip-top-basin-waste-we109b?campaign=googlebase&gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0d30F6P_nPK9q7wxFGiqyzy05b7eDW6mYSu8M1N59Pdc9bW73b9ULExoCjawQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
>> I have something like this on a couple of basins. Work fine and stood the
>> test of time. Mine don't have what appears to be an O ring.
>>

Sounds like what i have ordered. No O ring

www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/bauhaus-slotted-flip-top-basin-waste-bsw0141c
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - Dog
>>God how I hate these thing

Had the same in the ole cottage :(

Now have: (mucho better)

victoriaplum.com/product/bristan-gallery-quartz-dawn-grey-easyfit-kitchen-sink-15-bowl-with-right-drainer
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - helicopter
When we had our bathroom renewed 6 years ago the late SWMBO insisted on the flipover plug which was useless, leaked like a sieve so got our plumber to fit the click clack type which lasted a couple of years then stuck in the up position.
Got fed up waiting for him to replace so went out to merchants and bought one together with some plumbers mait and changed it over myself in less than half an hour. It is still going strong.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Jan 21 at 10:52
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - Bromptonaut
Not got them at home (yet) but as a bathroom refurb is on the cards that may not pertain much longer.

They were in the en suite last time I was at Center Parks with extended family. I was about to report ours as faulty but asked my sister to do it as she was off to 'Guest Services' with a whole set of issues.

She showed me how it worked - I was looking for a tab or button by the tap.
>> >>God how I hate these thing
>>
>> Had the same in the ole cottage :(
>>
>> Now have: (mucho better)
>>
>> victoriaplum.com/product/bristan-gallery-quartz-dawn-grey-easyfit-kitchen-sink-15-bowl-with-right-drainer
>>

Not sure a kinchend sink in the bathroom would look :-)
>>Not sure a kinchend sink in the bathroom would look :-)

Ah well, we didn't have a bathroom when we first got married. Slept in a single bed too which was given to us by an aunt.

'The good old days'
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - John Boy
>> Ah well, we didn't have a bathroom when we first got married. Slept in a
>> single bed too which was given to us by an aunt.
>>
Snap! Apart from the aunt that is. We rented a furnished???? bed sit.
>>Snap! Apart from the aunt that is. We rented a furnished???? bed sit.

I must admit that sleeping together in a single bed back then was quite enjoyable though, knowlmean ;)
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - John Boy
>> I must admit that sleeping together in a single bed back then was quite enjoyable
>> though, knowlmean ;)
>>
Snap again!
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - martin aston
Re the jamming closed problem I have become a dab hand with the three plugs in our house. I keep a bit of grippy rubber under the sink, the stuff you use to stop cushions sliding on sofas. With that I can get enough grip to either unscrew the plug section or more usually persuade it to pop up. A generous squirt of WD 40 and then it’s good for another year or so. A few minutes’ work.

It so happens that we are just replacing our cloakroom basin and I found that overflows are becoming rarer. Those that do have them are often so small as to only allow escape of a relatively gentle flow. Apparently the solution is to use a flow through plug that means the basin is never actually sealed. More form over function. Luckily I have found a basin with a reasonable overflow and will be able to use a click clack plug, despite its shortcomings
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - Crankcase
I think this is another aspect of modern living that has completely passed me by. Never had anything other than a plug on a chain, never given it a moment's thought, never had a problem.

Bit like lightbulbs. So much talk about different sorts being repeatedly changed for yet another tech, light temperatures, fittings, endless costs and expense. Might cost me fourpence extra to run but every five years I might have to change one nice incandescent at a cost of six seconds and £1.50 for the lamp.

I've no doubt the house probably screams 1950s but first, we like it and second, we don't care.
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - Zero
Every internet forum needs its eccentric hoarder type I guess.
>> I might have to change one nice incandescent at a cost
>> of six seconds and £1.50 for the lamp.
>>
>>

I didn't think you could buy them anymore?
>> I didn't think you could buy them anymore?

In about 2014 perhaps(?), when we were all discussing this at length here, and I was being all Cassandric and suggesting you were all wasting money and time changing to halogens or whatever it was at the time, I bought about 20 "rough service" lamps of various sorts from ebay. I've used a couple since.

I just had a look and there's still loads on ebay, so if really pushed and I want some more in the next decade I might have to spend another tenner-ish for ten.

As to running costs,I reckon it might be £100 a year to run them. I expect everyone else is paying a fiver a year for lighting, but to my mind I've got better instant nice light and and haven't spent a red cent on fittings and alternative lamp types, so there's probably not much in it.

And it keeps the room a hint warmer, so I use a hint less heating oil, so it's even more complex.

Anyway, this isn't anything to do with sinks, sorry.
>> Anyway, this isn't anything to do with sinks, sorry.

I don't think you have to change any light fittings, I've never done it. All the led ones I buy have normal bayonet connector. They look like this.

www.screwfix.com/p/lap-bc-gls-led-light-bulb-806lm-9-5w-5-pack/5894t
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Nov 20 at 02:47
Ooh. That's quite interesting, at a tenner for five. I might try that. Thanks Sooty.
The price of them has tumbled in the past couple of years, you can get them for as low as 1.50 each if you shop about.
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - bathtub tom
>> Ooh. That's quite interesting, at a tenner for five. I might try that. Thanks Sooty.

I'd stick with your incandescents. It's difficult to find anything bright nowadays (100w equivalent), those listed are 60w. Is there a conspiracy to keep us in a stygian gloom?
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - henry k
>> I'd stick with your incandescents. It's difficult to find anything bright nowadays (100w equivalent),
>> those listed are 60w. Is there a conspiracy to keep us in a stygian gloom?
>>
Yes be wary of brightness claims.
I have some 100w equivalent bulbs that are good but reverted to 50w incandesents in some fiittings.
Be wary if you have dimmers already fitted. They may need replacing if they cannot cope with LEDs and of course you need dimmable LEDs.
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - No FM2R
I don't normally pay attention to such things but prompted by this discussion I went and looked.

We use these bulbs that have the same, size, shape and fitting as a traditional bulb. They say they use 10w, are the equivalent of 75w and last 15,000 hours and they cost about £1.20 each.

Since 8,000 hours is about a year I'd say that was about right.

I don't have any dimmers so I've no idea about that.

Bit difficult to say about the brightness, but they seem pretty good and seemingly no worse than the 100w traditional bulbs which preceded them. Can't be sure because the ceilings are high and the bulbs are in multi-bulb fittings. In this room for example there are 3 fittings, each with three bulbs and each about 4 metres up.

But what I have most certainly noticed was the significant drop in the house electricity consumption when I had them all changed. I don't now remember the figures, but it was a lot.

Traditional bulbs are still available here but I see no value in using them.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 22 Nov 20 at 14:35
Also, and I just looked, the prices in Easy, which is our Homebase equivalent, have seemingly similar bulbs priced from about £1.20 up to £3.50. I have no idea what the difference between them would be.
>> Traditional bulbs are still available here but I see no value in using them.
>>

I think they use 10% of the electricity of old fashioned bulbs.

I remember reading somewhere it had a noticeable impact on the grid in the reduced requirement for electricity. I think the UK is using less electricity year on year.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Nov 20 at 02:47
>>I think they use 10% of the electricity of old fashioned bulbs.

Add up all the lighting in the country and that's a huge decrease. I shall pay more attention in future.

>> cope with LEDs and of course you need dimmable LEDs.

Sorry to be, well, dim, but I don't understand that. I've never had or seen the point of any sort of dimmable light. Why do LEDs need to be dimmable?
If you have a dimmer switch, you'll need them dimmable.

If you haven't any dimmer switches, then you don't have to bother with the dimmable version.
"I've never had or seen the point of any sort of dimmable light."

So you're one of those who drive round on full beam all of the time :-)
Main beam isn't dimmable. It's on or off. Used to be a lovely little floor switch on my Minor.
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - Duncan
>> It's on or off. Used to be a lovely little floor switch on my Minor.
>>

It still is.
I guess you are right but getting back to your home there are times surely when you might want a little less light, say watching TV but you don't want to sit in complete darkness? A bedside light perhaps where you don't want to be assaulted by the full glare when you wake in the morning?
We don't have any dimmer switches, we just use lower watt bulbs in lamps for bedside lamps. Rarely use the main light in the lounge, we use a small lamp.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 22 Nov 20 at 16:49
I guess we do something similar to sooty. Couple of standing lamps in the lounge, and who has a bedside lamp in the morning? Eyes open, off you go.
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - smokie
I thought I read ages ago if you had just one halogen down-lighter on 24 x 365 it would cost £34. May well be wrong but my electricity usage has gone down enormously over the past few years by swapping my 25 or so down-lighters for LEDs, and similar changes. Try boiling as much water as you need in the kettle rather than twice as much, that's and easy one!

In 2012 I spent £717 on electricity (5110 units)
In 2019 I spent £539 (5103 units)

The difference being I am charging my car in the 2019 figures, so saving on petrol, which i reckon would have been about 1500 units (very roughly 4000 miles worth, say 100 gallons say £500 petrol saved)
>> I guess we do something similar to sooty. Couple of standing lamps in the lounge,
>> and who has a bedside lamp in the morning? Eyes open, off you go.
>>

I do, the wife works shifts and is home after I'm asleep so I need a bit of light to see what I'm doing whilst she's still asleep.
>>I need a bit of light to see what I'm doing whilst she's still asleep.

It is a peculiarity of South American households that to have a TV in the living room is unusual. The TV(s) are typically in the bedrooms.

They serve as excellent ambient light if you can ignore the almost certainly tripe broadcasts that they are showing and ensure the volume is at a minimum..
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - Ambo
>>It's difficult to find anything bright nowadays (100w equivalent)

A problem with LED 100-watt equivalent is that the base collar is so high up the glass that little light is cast down from a standard lamp, too little to read by. The ceiling is well illuminated but to little purpose.
Got myself one of these reading lamps recently . Absolutely brilliant, literally! A bit pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

www.johnlewis.com/serious-readers-alex-dimmable-led-floor-lamp-white-nickel/p2763092

Surprising how decent lighting makes so much difference especially as you grow older.

1950s retro is very fashionable at the moment. You might be sitting on a goldmine!

Do you have a valve wirleess set with Hilversum on the dial? :-)

>> Do you have a valve wirleess set with Hilversum on the dial? :-)

Funny you say that - that would be great. No, there's a DAB radio thingy that is on all day in the kitchen, never changed from the station it's set to.

But we used to have a great big radiogram (didn't we all) when I was a small child. I used to lean back against the middle of it, and the massive speakers on each side would either be playing something odd on shortwave, or more often, I'd be playing the LP of "My Fair Lady". Ah.

For any younger viewers, it was pretty similar to this one I think.

webimg.secondhandapp.com/w-i-mgl/576a5b49afa4c5d330a49fae

Ours had FM/VHF and if you dialled it over the 100 frequency you could pick up the control room side of the Police frequencies.
It was downhill from that point :)
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - hawkeye
My parents had a similar-looking thing. It played 'big band' music (which I hated) for my parents' ballroom dancing moves and comedy 45s from Flanders & Swann and others, e.g.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL5SzTSMxLU&app=desktop

Click Clack Basin Wastes - Runfer D'Hills
My parents had a musical toilet roll dispenser. Played Greensleeves. Can't hear that now without wanting to go for a...stroll...
That explains a lot. Some traumas never fade and the scars are always there.
Found something I hate even more thatn click clack wastes: Plumbers who use slilicon sealant when they instal them.

Finally got round to installing the two new wastes today only to find the plumber had used the dreaded silicon. Almost impossible to remove this stuff. Had to drive down to Screwfix to get some sealant remover. Even with the stuff it still took quite a while to get the damned muck off.

A speciall place in hell is reserved for people who use the stuff.

Click Clack Basin Wastes - helicopter
Absolutely agree CGN. I had this argument with my plumber.
Plumbers Mait is the best and only material for the job IMO.
Absolutely. Plumbers Mait every time. A tub of the stuff lasts forever.
>>I had this argument with my plumber.

That makes me laugh. After all, what would a plumber know?

Mine would use anything I wanted. But if I want a decent, reliable job at the price he quoted, we're both better off if I leave him to his expertise and I stick to mine.
But if I want a decent, reliable job at
>> the price he quoted, we're both better off if I leave him to his expertise
>> and I stick to mine.
>>

They use it because it’s quick and effective and the chances are they won’t be the person who has to deal with removing it. It isn’t a decent job.
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - hawkeye
>> Found something I hate even more thatn click clack wastes: Plumbers who use slilicon sealant
>> when they instal them.
>>
>> Finally got round to installing the two new wastes today only to find the plumber
>> had used the dreaded silicon. Almost impossible to remove this stuff. Had to drive down
>> to Screwfix to get some sealant remover. Even with the stuff it still took quite
>> a while to get the damned muck off.
>>
I installed a dual flush on the elderly cast ceramic toilet cistern in a nearby holiday let in the hope of doing a little something about the outrageous water bills when there are guests. The old syphon had been fitten with silicone sealant. I cleaned, cursed and refitted it. And again etc. I couldn't get it to seal, even with Plumbers Mait; my preferred sealant. Curious, and with time to explore the problem, I found the base of the cistern to be slightly concave! Maybe a production error when the clay was still soft; I've no idea. It's now watertight with silicone sealant.

>> A speciall place in hell is reserved for people who use the stuff.
>>
I'll have plenty of company, I fear.
 Click Clack Basin Wastes - Zero
>> I installed a dual flush on the elderly cast ceramic toilet cistern in a nearby
>> holiday let in the hope of doing a little something about the outrageous water bills
>> when there are guests. The old syphon had been fitten with silicone sealant. I cleaned,
>> cursed and refitted it. And again etc. I couldn't get it to seal, even with
>> Plumbers Mait; my preferred sealant. Curious, and with time to explore the problem, I found
>> the base of the cistern to be slightly concave! Maybe a production error when the
>> clay was still soft; I've no idea. It's now watertight with silicone sealant.
>>
>> >> A speciall place in hell is reserved for people who use the stuff.
>> >>
>> I'll have plenty of company, I fear.

And there is the kicker, silicon sealant has give birth to cheap badly made crappy fittings and plumbers with no skills
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 30 Nov 20 at 18:22
Having never used either on a sink, how much difference in difficulty is there in using one vs the other?
>>Having never used either on a sink, how much difference in difficulty is there in using one vs the other?

Using the silicon sealant is easy and far more reliable. However, it can be a sod to get off especially in small nooks and crannies.

So it depends on how likely you think you are to need to do the job repeatedly.

Other than that it's some kind of weird and irrelevant snobbishness.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 30 Nov 20 at 18:33

>> And there is the kicker, silicon sealant has give birth to cheap badly made crappy
>> fittings and plumbers with no skills

Speaking only for my own situation I never buy cheap or badly made crappy fittings and my plumber(s) are skilful and have a track record.

In fact, how it is assembled probably matters more if you have bought badly made crappy fittings. With good quality stuff you're not likely to be taking it apart again.

Plumbers want a quick guaranteed water tight seal so there's minimum chance of a call back. Silicon is quick and ticks all the boxes for them.
I have done a couple of those remote bath pop ups and found that even a smear round the top thin rubber gasket causes it to swell. So it has to be right first time.
Latest Forum Posts