Non-motoring > Supermarket deliveries and collection Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 30

Supermarket deliveries and collection - bathtub tom
We started using Tesco deliveries at the beginning of last lockdown. They then put the price up to £4.50, so we went to 'click-n-collect' for £1.50, on the basis you have to deal with only one other person in each case.
Were never able to get a Sainsbury slot.
ASDA were good, but their choice of alternatives, unavailable and other anomalies ruled them out.
ALDI have just started a 'click-n-collect' for £4.50!
Iceland deliver free on orders over £30.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - sooty123
We had a look early on but gave up quickly. I think we got 1 or 2 deliveries, every other time I had a look there were no slots available at any supermarket near us.
Having no wish to get up at 4.59am or whenever the slots were released and not being in a high risk group, we just went back to normal shopping.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - MD
Waitrose.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - sooty123
Anything about waitrose in particular? ;-)
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - Terry
Signed up to Iceland, Asda and Tesco in March:

Iceland were good on frozen stuff (esp fish) but not much good for a full shop.

Asda had too many substitutions - often inappropriate

Tescos is mostly good - the occasional rotting potato and substituions usually ok

I have now signed up for the Tesco delivery scheme - £8 per month so less than £2 a shop. I book 3 weeks ahead - got into the habit of delivery (one hour slot) once a week on Mondays.

So Sunday evening we sit down for 20 minutes to (a) revise the shopping list we put in 3 weeks previously, and add another delivery 3 weeks ahead. Works well and better than trawling round the supermarkets to buy basics.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - CGNorwich
Had Waitrose deliver every week since March. Always on time, no complaints with the very few substitutions, quality as good as ever. No delivery charge, minimum £40 order.

I miss the physical shopping though. I actually quite liked browsing the aisles and having a coffee after shopping.

Supermarket deliveries and collection - No FM2R
Delivery here is much the same as the UK except faster. Order by 3pm and you'll probably get it today.

The trouble for me is that I have no idea what I want until I wander along aisles and see it. Beyond the very basics, of course.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - tyrednemotional
>> Delivery here is much the same as the UK except faster. Order by 3pm and
>> you'll probably get it today.
>>

...by Waitrose....?! :-O
Yes. But they use very, very fast drones.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - Kevin
>I miss the physical shopping though. I actually quite liked browsing
>the aisles and having a coffee after shopping.

BBD tells me that he likes browsing what's in the store as well.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - Runfer D'Hills
I like food shopping, and I like to cook too. I'd miss browsing the aisles and counters for inspiration. It's like an antidote to all the misery.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 25 Nov 20 at 21:07
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - Clk Sec
>> No delivery charge, minimum £40 order.

Minimum order £40, but delivery charge applicable on orders below £60.

Not too difficult spending that amount on a Waitrose order, but the quality is excellent.
"Minimum order £40, but delivery charge applicable on orders below £60."

Actualy there is no delivery charge for any order whatever the amount.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - smokie
We been paying for Tesco since some time last year but during the last lockdown they suspended our "membership" and we were just the same as everyone else in terms of grabbing a slot, but our slots didn't cost us.

A couple of times when I missed Tesco slots we got Safeway deliveries. Their food range isn't a patch on Tesco.

Since the new lockdown we are on our usual level of service which means we can book (at least) 4 weeks ahead, which is an additional week over and above non-subscribers. I've no idea how much we pay but we pay it with Tesco vouchers so it isn't real money... I think it's about £40 for 6 months.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - Bobby
As a “worker from home” my trip to the supermarket is the highlight of my week! Even try and tie it in with my weekly shower.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - legacylad
I’m obviously in the minority here. I’ve never had a home delivery of food in my life. Either during Covid or pre Covid. I don’t intend to start either... I go with a shopping list, don’t deviate, buy it and leave. Often just before closing time...butcher & supermarket alike.

I ‘do’ weekly take aways ..Royal Buddha in Moraira....chicken or lamb Lumbini ( medium hot), Peshawari naan, pilau rice, 3 poppadoms with sauce. €14 inc tip. Washed down with a litre of Mahou @ €1.05 from local supermarket.
Left overs go in the freezer to be mixed with other curry left overs for Sunday lunch.

Life on the edge.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - smokie
We've been doing online grocery shopping on and off for a few years, since Tesco started it I'd say.

We've even used them on holiday to deliver to self catering places - memorable times were food and booze for a week for 5 adults to a holiday home on a park in Cornwall and also in Edinburgh when we were there for the Fringe - poor bloke had to lug our liquid supplies up the stairs for us.

On the whole it saves time, effort and the small cost is partly offset by the fuel saving. Never really do "impulse" buys, and never had much of a problem with poor standard of picking which some people report, though this week's 49p cauliflower wasn't that big.

And of course we don't have to mix with the great unwashed...!!! :-)
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - Kevin
You shower once a week?!!

I bet you change your skivies every month as well.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - tyrednemotional
...my local supermarkets don't have public showers.... :-(

(must be a Scottish thing, in the aisles where the vegetable stocks would otherwise be) ;-)
Bottled water, shampoo, shower gel and deoderant. All the ingredients needed for a wash while you shop are already in the shop....
Hell, if you go to Tesco you can also get a nice fluffy bath towel to dry yourself...
..and if you don't take it out of the shop, then you haven't technically bought it.
Indeed!!

Similarly, have you shoplifted if you lift products from the shelves and place them in the trolleys for the local food banks at the other side of the checkouts?
In my supermarket days the criteria was “once they had passed the last payment point” but this must be muddied now with self serve tills etc
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - Fullchat
It revolves around the word 'appropriation' within the definition of theft " ....dishonestly appropriates ...."

Certainly passing the checkout without payment completes the offence however actually leaving the store is felt to be more nailed on.
>>actually leaving the store is felt to be more nailed on.

Friend of mine used to run the security at large shop in London. The rule there is [was, perhaps] that the culprits actually have to leave the store if the store wishes them to be prosecuted. Sometimes though they know they won't want prosecution so they stop them inside the store simply to prevent the loss, deliver a warning and avoid unpleasantness/publicity.
 Supermarket deliveries and collection - Zero
When I was a POS IT spert, I was sent on a retail theft seminar. They had terms for all the methods of shoplifting.

Sweethearting, Grazing, Stuffing, layering, etc.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Nov 20 at 13:21
Jeez Zero, don’t know about sweethearting but definitely remember all the other terms!
>>don't know about sweethearting

I think that was unique to Zero's environment. For a number of reasons.
Colluding with another person acting’s a customer

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 26 Nov 20 at 16:37
>> Colluding with another person acting’s a customer

Usually a family member.
Shoplifting Copper

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-55089146
>> Jeez Zero, don’t know about sweethearting but definitely remember all the other terms!

You should do, It was your companies seminar!
Latest Forum Posts