Non-motoring > Brain fade Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 4

Brain fade - sherlock47
Having spent 60 minutes doing remote education of a 9 yearold on the the early days of computing - from mechanical punch cards onwards - we ultimately progressed via PDP8 to manual input of bootstrap, tape to different forms of storage............ I was then asked questions about early games.

For the life of me I cannot recall the ' what I called game of life' where you set a starting pattern which breeds and dies depending on a set of simple rules. A quick search failed to find it for me.

What do I need to search for? My brain hurts.
 Brain fade - Zero
Can I give you lessons in search arguments on the internet?

The Game of Life, also known simply as Life, is a cellular automaton devised by the British mathematician John Horton Conway in 1970. It is a zero-player game, meaning that its evolution is determined by its initial state, requiring no further input. One interacts with the Game of Life by creating an initial configuration and observing how it evolves. It is Turing complete and can simulate a universal constructor or any other Turing machine.
 Brain fade - sherlock47
Z thanks exactly what I was after.

I had searched for what I thought would find it - but was swamped with modern variants!
 Brain fade - martin aston
Wiki has an article on life simulation games. Does anything listed there help?
 Brain fade - sherlock47
The key to a successful search was the name of the 'inventor'.

For anybody whose memory has been stimulated look at

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

Latest Forum Posts