Non-motoring > Suffolk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 19

Suffolk - Zero
I am just reminded, but always forget, how damn good Suffolk is as a UK break. I am currently sitting on Southwold beach in blazing sun, with two sea wet dogs. The CCV is on a site in the Rendlesham forest just outside Bentwaters Air Base perimeter fence, Nrby Woodbridge has tea shops and Idris shops (fatface, seasalt Joules etc). Been to Orford ( as a boy we sneaked onto the Cobra Mist site). Sutton Hoo is fab, Snape Maltings has the best shop ever, (trying Suffolk Gin later). The roads are great, smooth the lanes being wide not Devon silly, Seafood restaurant in now very trendy Aldborough booked, as Is a visit to Bawdsey Radar museum

I'll forget it when I leave, which is good, means a return will amaze again
 Suffolk - legacylad
I’ve never been near either Norfolk or Suffolk.
An elderly neighbour whose lawn I mow has family in Suffolk and she tells me how nice it is...
It’s a ruddy long way from Settle but I must make the effort, take my tent, find a small campsite on the coast, do some walking, and hope it doesn’t rain.
 Suffolk - Zero
Just about to tuck into a Pint of Adnams dry hopped lager, and Adnams beer battered fish n chips with mushies
 Suffolk - VxFan
>> An elderly neighbour whose lawn I mow

Do you use a Suffolk Punch?

I'll get me coat.

Suffolk - PeterS
Suffolk is certainly very pleasant, but from the south coast it takes forever to get there. Had a very nice long weekend in Orford in July…beaches very pebble-y, but then again they are down here too. Woodbridge is a lovely town to wander round and, I’m ashamed to say, I didn’t realise it had so much along the river. The Unruly Pig just outside Woodbridge was very nice :)
 Suffolk - Zero
The pig is booked, as is Escargot sue mer at Aldborough

Suffolk - Manatee
I know you contend speeling doesn't matter, but when you set your sat nav, Aldborough is in Norfolk. Or North Yorkshire.

I don't envy you the snails, but I you envy your fish and chip opportunities.

A snail went into a pub on Burns' night and ordered a pint of bitter. The landlord separated him from the bar counter and threw him out. Exactly a year later on the 25th January, the snail was back. The landlord scowled. The snail said "What did you do that for?"
 Suffolk - Zero
Blame autocorrect in the sun with polarised sun glasses
 Suffolk - Manatee
Big fan of Suffolk. Shame Aldeburgh has got trendy but that's the way of things. I still look forward to going back and eating fish and chips out of the paper at the sea wall. Lavenham is stunning.

There is a Caravan Club site at Kessingland, if it's still there, where we once based a good holiday and incidentally experienced some of the worst (windiest) weather we have ever seen while 'vanning.
 Suffolk - Duncan
>> Big fan of Suffolk. Shame Aldeburgh has got trendy but that's the way of things.
>> I still look forward to going back and eating fish and chips out of the
>> paper at the sea wall. Lavenham is stunning.

I have just booked a few days away in Weymouth. They have TWO Wetherspoons.

Aldeburgh fish and chips are over rated and over priced.

I remain

Yours etc

Mr Grumpy
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 22 Sep 21 at 16:05
 Suffolk - helicopter
In the late 60's and early 70's I was involved in the buying of construction materials for the Cobra Mist project at Orford Ness.

Because of the nature of the ground on the Ness the roads were constructed from second hand railway sleepers. I purchased around 250, 000 of them ranging in price at the time from 10 shillings to 18 shillings and sixpence each and caused a shortage in the market.

I was responsible for a nightmare for locals with queues of lorries for the ferry blocking the local roads.

The whole project was abandoned not that long into the 70's as I recall, I had moved jobs by then.

I have not been back since. It sould be safe to return now shouldn't it ? :0)

Last edited by: helicopter on Wed 22 Sep 21 at 14:05
 Suffolk - bathtub tom
Took some scouts camping at Bawdsey manor in the 70s and coincidentally had a pint of Woodfordes Wherry at lunchtime (in a spoon's).
 Suffolk - zippy
Love holidays in Norfolk. Last time on the way back we stopped off at Sutton Hoo.

At the time (3 summers ago) I did make a note to book something in that neck of the woods but the opportunity hasn’t presented itself yet.
 Suffolk - John Boy
This is one of my favourites at Southwold:
www.southwoldpier.co.uk/business/under-the-pier-show/
It's run by Tim Hunkin, the guy with dirt under his fingernails, who used to be on CH4 explaining how things work.
 Suffolk - bathtub tom
Tim Hunkin. I can thoroughly recomend novelty automation if you've got an hour or two to spare in Holborn, London:

novelty-automation.com/
 Suffolk - sherlock47
All these positive reviews about how wonderful Suffolk is. On a warm summers day, ideal for a visit. I remember in the 80s, as a regular visitor to Ipswich, how cold it was, with the biting easterly wind.. Maybe global warming has shifted the balance of tolerability?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 23 Sep 21 at 07:37
 Suffolk - Dog
I was in an 'approved' school up that way c1967, and well-remember the spectacular thunderstorms out o'er the North Sea.

Never seen anything like 'em down here in west Briton, unfortunately.
 Suffolk - PeterS
>> All these positive reviews about how wonderful Suffolk is. On a warm summers day, ideal
>> for a visit. I remember in the 80s, as a regular visitor to Ipswich, how
>> cold it was, with the biting easterly wind.. Maybe global warming has shifted the balance
>> of tolerability?
>>

I don’t think it’s changed it that much….the east coast in December can be a grey, cold, soulless place. Even Aldburgh
 Suffolk - sooty123
>> All these positive reviews about how wonderful Suffolk is. On a warm summers day, ideal
>> for a visit. I remember in the 80s, as a regular visitor to Ipswich, how
>> cold it was, with the biting easterly wind.. Maybe global warming has shifted the balance
>> of tolerability?
>>

East anglia can be quite cold in the winter and have storms off the North Sea, you can also get lots of still foggy days in the Jan/Feb.
 Suffolk - Zero
Anywhere is miserable when there is adverse weather, ironically the ground here seems very dry indeed, I doubt there has been much rain at all these past months round yere.

Cornwall is always wet, now there is a god forsaken place if you can't go on the beach

Latest Forum Posts