Non-motoring > Surgeons performance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 8

Surgeons performance - MD
I don't know if the GP on here can point me in the right direction or not. When I was planning to use Shepton Mallet hospital for my Knee replacement they gave me a link to a site that listed Surgeons performance. I cannot now trace that information. I am having the surgery elsewhere now and wish to consult the numbers again. Any help would be appreciated. Local hosp seem perplexed which is perhaps not a good sign..........
Found it. It's the national Joint Registry.
 Surgeons performance - zippy
The National Joint Registry you say, hmmmm!

:-)
 Surgeons performance - henry k
A few years ago we did an extensive trawl for a suitable hospital for SWMBOs ops.
Anywhere up to 100 miles from North Surrey.
Some hospitals could not quote the full cost as the surgeon had yet to chose the specific type of replacement joint.

The deal we had at Oxford was for everything including if any extended stay was required.

www.oxortho.com/PeterMcLardySmith.htm
A super guy but do be distracted by his appearance or his multi coloured socks.

www.oxortho.com/BobSharp.htm
This surgeon at the same location was our man to advise on SWMOs ankle

Last edited by: henry k on Tue 2 Nov 21 at 13:16
>> The deal we had at Oxford was for everything including if any extended stay was
>> required.

Thank you Henry, very much.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Nov 21 at 03:08
 Surgeons performance - VxFan
>> Found it. It's the national Joint Registry.

spliffing.
 Surgeons performance - tyrednemotional
>> Found it. It's the national Joint Registry.
>>

....was it the smell that led you to it...?
 Surgeons performance - Lygonos
No idea how it works in England, but when it comes to knee replacements just be sure you know what to expect.

Hip replacements are generally great - 90+% satisfaction rates and up and about within days, and recovered fully within a handful of weeks is common.

Knees on the other hand are slower to recover from (3-12 months until "happy" with it is not unusual), usually mean you'll never kneel down again (they usually bend to 90° max), and a degree of persistent pain after surgery isn't rare (usually mild though).

If you are in near constant pain, and your walking distance is greatly limited/stairs are a nightmare then go for it would be my usual advice.

If you can still walk miles albeit in moderate pain I would be less gung-ho.

Summary: the more crippled you are, the more benefit you tend to see.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 2 Nov 21 at 15:41
Thank you very much Sir.
Latest Forum Posts