Non-motoring > Wordle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 67

Wordle - smokie
I presume everyone here is doing this daily, seeing as it's getting so many mentions on the telly etc? if not you soon will be :-)

Keeps the old grey matter alive...

www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 30 Jan 22 at 13:09
 Wordle - Manatee
Oh Yes.

4 guesses today.

On a phone, don't use the third party apps which are just ad platforms. Just use the browser and put a shortcut on the home page.

Much discussion about starter words.

I love that there is one per day, and it was a clever to have every player doing the same puzzle.
 Wordle - smokie
4 today for me too. My stats oer 27 days of doing it:

3 - 5
4 - 10
5 - 10
6 - 2

100% so far :-)

It's hard to know whether the starter word makes much difference. I can see the arguments but in practice I do OK with my CLEFT each day
 Wordle - zippy
Hooked already - after one - and am eagerly awaiting tomorrows!
 Wordle - Manatee
Played 22, 95%
2 -1
3 - 3
4 -11
5 - 3
6 - 3

Lost - 1

Most people try to crack the vowels first I think so use vowel-heavy starters. I've seen ALINE and AROSE recommended based on supposed letter frequency but I suspect that's simplistic anyway if it doesn't take account of word patterns. I like AUDIO and I've used ABIDE, if I always use the same starter guess it feels more formulaic to me. Using a less popular starter guess probably increases the chances of getting a low score when not many others do although it might hurt your average.

My wife and daughter usually beat me.

Somebody supposedly got hold of the source code and there are 2 dictionaries - about 12,500 allowable guesses, and a subset of about 2,500 from which solutions are drawn. The solution words are all popular/well known ones which helps to improve guesses, a lot.
 Wordle - smokie
There was an Americanism last week. Something like color, vapor or favor but I don't remember what it was.

ADIEU is another good starter.

Getting it in 2 is ridiculous... :-)
 Wordle - Manatee
Favor was the one that got me.
 Wordle - zippy
4 today.

22h 31m to the next one!
 Wordle - Manatee

No hits of any kind on first guess, I like those best.
 Wordle - VxFan
I keep seeing Wordle getting mentioned by friends on FB, and posting their scores.

I've yet to explore it though. Sounds addictive.

As the Borg would say, you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
 Wordle - Crankcase
I'd not heard of this until this morning here. Mrs C hasn't seen it, but described as being like the old Mastermind game we had as kids in the sixties that used coloured pegs, except the colour combination is now letters rather than pegs.

Is that what it is? I hated Mastermind!

Wordle - smokie
Sort of but with words. Mastermind was just coloured pegs wasn't it?

Reminded me that we played Bulls and Cows at school, with 4 numbers.
 Wordle - Manatee

>> Is that what it is? I hated Mastermind!

No, it's much better if you are a wordy person.

There is logic, but also word patterns and intuition as to which of several possibilities is most likely, based on the popularity of words. I went for JERKY last week instead of PERKY, thinking it might be a popular American word. PERKY would have been a better guess I think, even if it hadn't been right!

Even a poor player can sometimes do well, or a good player just make wrong choices.

The trickiest I think are probably the those with more than one of a letter When you have unknown letters, the tendency is to work through the rest of the alphabet to find them. You don't necessarily have enough goes to do that.

Great thing is you can't waste a lot of time on it, there's only one per day.
 Wordle - Duncan
I have never seen or done this, so please tell me if I have this right.

Each day a new puzzle is presented. I have a five letter word - five empty boxes - the setter has decided what that word is. Let us say the answer is RATIO, but of course I don't know that. I then guess what that word is, so if I thought I will use the four most common vowels and the most common consonant, I would get AEIOT. The boxes would show yellow A,I,T, and O. That's good I have four letters right, but all in the wrong places.

Then using powers of deduction I think it could be PATIO. I would get four greens, but the P would be wrong.

Am I over elaborating this?

Is it set by an American? Could we have COLOR? Because that would drive me mad.
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 31 Jan 22 at 15:06
 Wordle - Manatee

>> Am I over elaborating this?

No, although you couldn't guess AEIOT unless it's a word.

>> Is it set by an American? Could we have COLOR? Because that would drive me
>> mad.

Yes it uses American spellings, including FAVOR which beat me the other day, although I was aware of the possibility I just didn't like it and went with an alternative on the last go. Not worth worrying about, I don't think there are many.
 Wordle - zippy
Three on my third go.

Shame it’s only one a day.
 Wordle - Duncan
Sold!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60208463
 Wordle - smokie
7 figure sum!!

It'll stay free for now, it says.

Surely it won't be hard for someone to mimic it if/when it goes paid (or beforehand - there are similar out there already)? I can't imagine it's copyrighted, or copyrightable
 Wordle - Manatee
7 figures isn't really very much, that's probably the reason. The valuation could be based on the name as much as anything.
 Wordle - Dave_
>> Surely it won't be hard for someone to mimic

There are already several similar versions of varying quality (PuzzWord, Wordie, Word Guess and others), plus Sweardle and Lewdle (not for the faint-hearted!).
 Wordle - Rudedog
Isn't there a similar game show on ITV?
 Wordle - helicopter
I got this on my phone yesterday and have just got todays word on the third go .
I have tried a dozen or so of the old ones and am running at 70% success.
American spelling also threw me.
 Wordle - Zero
Today - 6th go
P3 67% Streak 2
 Wordle - smokie
I was looking for previous Wordles as Helicopter said he'd done some - where are they?

Anyway I noticed there is a Hard mode where you HAVE to use revealed letters in subsequent turns. I can't think of a time when I haven't done that but I can see the benefit of it sometimes.

P 37
% 100
 Wordle - helicopter
When I load the app it gives me two options, todays word and previous words Smokie.
 Wordle - smokie
I can't see that in mine, can anyone else? Are you going to www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
 Wordle - Manatee
No, I'm using the same link as you.

There are apps that are nothing to do with Josh Wardle, presumably with adverts. I thought they just scraped the website but they can't be doing that if they have previous puzzles.
 Wordle - Lygonos
P3 100%

All 3 games in 3 guesses.

Addictive little teaser.

Using "SPEAR" as my first guess word.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 3 Feb 22 at 22:30
 Wordle - Dog
I'm far too intelligent to be playing silly games, and it interferes with my research into harnessing the methane on Mars for our return journey.

I showed the ole woman the modus earlier this week, gave her the first letter L, and she guessed Light on the first try.

She's been 'at it' every day so far, and got them all correct, taking 4 attempts with yesterday's word.

Methane can be found on all the planets in our solar system, so that's my day taken up.
 Wordle - Crankcase
Just rewatched The Martian, Dog. I like that film a lot. But the book is better.
 Wordle - Zero
In 3 today, Played 4 75% current streak 3

Now officially bored with it. Back to Soduku.
 Wordle - zippy
There was one with "SHARD" in 2 the other day. Only because I was watching a program about the hotel in the Shard at the same time as doing it and put it in a a joke.
 Wordle - Crankcase
Mrs C was a big Sudoku fan, but her fancy has been taken by Suguru now. Does those all the time. I got her a book of a hundred from Amazon as a trial and now she's on volume 5.

You don't see Suguru so often.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 4 Feb 22 at 13:31
 Wordle - Zero
>> Mrs C was a big Sudoku fan, but her fancy has been taken by Suguru

Yer, found it, tried it, quite like it. Ta
 Wordle - Dog
Yep, I watch all sci-fi stuff, even bad B movies/Blake's 7/ The Outer Limits: tonight at 8:00 TPTV
 Wordle - Lygonos
4th day getting it in 3 - thought I had a good chance of a 2'er but it wasn't to be.
 Wordle - helicopter
Mine is called made with Unity, downloaded from Playstore. Maybe not the same.
 Wordle - James Loveless
(spoiler removed)
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 9 Feb 22 at 13:43
 Wordle - Dog
My wife does it every day (and Wordle) I passed your advice on and she goddit in 4.
 Wordle - Lygonos
Got in 3 again today but that was a bit meh.

6 games (haven't played for few days), 5 in 3 and 1 in 4.
 Wordle - James Loveless
"(spoiler removed)"

I said only that transatlantic spelling was involved. Not much of a spoiler.

Anyway, it relates to yesterday's puzzle.
 Wordle - smokie
It was a clue.

If I'd seen that before I'd done the puzzle I'd have got it in one less guess but I'd have also been irritated. So I imagined others may have been too.

So I removed it.
 Wordle - Bobby
I told my wife yesterday “just remember Wordl is American”
And that apparently totally threw her. She was trying to think of words associated with America rather than the fact that it was American spelling!

My fault, obviously.
 Wordle - zippy
In the move to its new host, score histories have been lost.
 Wordle - smokie
Mine hasn't. Recording it here just in case though.

Played 40
Win 100%
Current streak 40
Max streak 40

1 - 0
2 - 1
3 - 11 < includes today
4 - 14
5 - 12
6 - 2
 Wordle - Manatee
>> In the move to its new host, score histories have been lost.

Min'e sfine. Have you been using some app or other?

I was using the Wordle website, which now directs to the NYT.

Try powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle in your browser, if you're using a phone just add a shortcut to your homepage. No app needed.
 Wordle - Crankcase
Well, I didn't want to try because it sounded so dull. But you are all so interested that I just tried my first.

I got it in four, I've no idea if that's good or not. It was a bit stupid really, I'm not sure I found it appealing. I might try another tomorrow.
 Wordle - Crankcase
Showed Mrs C the darned thing for the first time tonight - she got it in three. Crikey.
 Wordle - Dog
Funnily enuff, Lady Dog struggled wivvit tonight, so I diddit, although I'm sure she would have cracked it eventually.
 Wordle - Manatee
Funny how it goes, I got today's in 2. When you've identified a few possibilities, having an inkling as to which is the most likely word is a soft skill. Wife and daughter are both typically better at that than I am. But they both took 3 today.
 Wordle - Bobby
Well I resorted to pen and paper today.
Had 3 off the letters and just could not Get the test to fit.
Even had written the correct word down and ignored it cos my mind told me it wasn’t a real word!
 Wordle - Duncan
Another 4 today. That was a struggle. You know who suggested the right answer.
 Wordle - Lygonos
5 for me - trickier than average
 Wordle - Runfer D'Hills
5 for me too today. :-(
 Wordle - smokie
I now do daily:

Wordle
Hurdle
Quordle
Heardle
Heardle 60s
Heardle 70s
Heardle 80s
Heardle 90s
and
Worldle

though I don't spend ages staring at them - usually do reasonably well on the words, less so on geography and intros
 Wordle - Manatee
3 today.
6/7 on the Dordle
9/9 on Quordle
12/13 on Octordle
20/21 on Sedecordle, which is much the most satisfying without being difficult
 Wordle - Zero
I dont do ordles, I do about 10 Sugurus at bedtime
 Wordle - Ted

I'm no good at these Wordly type things. I do all the Daily Mail Sudukos, including the X version and also the Wordwheel thingy. I usually get the 'big' word and reach the 'good' target. Often cock up on the Sudukos...Tippex is my friend !

I can't be doing with all these internet 'quiz ' thing, like find the one letter P in a hundred 9s, or similar. More interesting one today, which I succumbed to...Take the book nearest to you, find page 18 and type line 4. I injected some class in the 830 responses as I had a small book of Tennyson a couple of feet away. Might be of interest on here.

Could run for ever !

Ted
 Wordle - smokie
Sedecordle is good Hadn't seen that one.
 Wordle - Manatee
As the guy who invented it said, you can be bad at wordle but it's impossible to be good, you have to be lucky as well.

You get something like GRA_E on the first guess and even the best player can lose because you might have to go through GRACE, GRADE, GRAPE, GRATE, GRAVE, GRAZE before you hit it.

With Sedecordle you can pass on that until you have more letters and there's a good chance you will have narrowed the possibilities to one by the time you get there. I start with 3 guesses that cover 15 letters, and then pick off the easier ones first. I aim to finish with 2 guesses spare assuming none of my starter words is a hit, i.e. every guess after that is a hit. I manage that about half the time.

All these variants allow 5 spare guesses.
 Wordle - smokie
Somewhere I read about a pretty fool-proof method for Wordle which had 5 really odd words which used 25 letters in 5 goes. I tried it and it worked but in all these games I prefer to just use my regular start word (which happened to be one of the Quordle first words the other week!!) then go random from there. Probably reduces my chances a bit but maybe a bit more fun.
 Wordle - Manatee
I know what you mean. Some think it's not cricket NOT to put in known letters in every guess but of course that can't work for the multi-word jobs.
 Wordle - Crankcase
I see from this thread it’s a year since I first tried it. I can’t tell you how many Wordles I’ve done since then.

Oh wait, I can. None. I found it very dull, alas. In fact I don’t like any puzzle things at all, or quizzes.

There must be something I’d like, but never have yet. Any suggestions that don’t involve numbers, words, logic, quizzes, questions or guessing and I might try.
 Wordle - bathtub tom
SWMBO seems to be addicted to these things, I can't be bothered. I'll do a daily sodoku. Every now and then she'll suggest a combination of letters and sometimes I'll come up trumps. Really annoys her!
 Wordle - Duncan
>> Somewhere I read about a pretty fool-proof method for Wordle which had 5 really odd
>> words which used 25 letters in 5 goes.

brick.
feast.
glent.
jumpy.
vozhd.
waqfs.
 Wordle - Runfer D'Hills
Ohhh yeah!
In 2 today!
Just saying…
;-)
 Wordle - smokie
Thanks to Manatee's post somewhere above I and the family now take ages to complete our set (though SWMBO won't go above 4), and some get missed occasionally. The sixteener is fun.
 Wordle - Manatee
My pleasure.

It is a bit of a time waster;) But I am retired, and one needs a few rest periods.

I agree on the sixteener. But it's a great game, no doubt.

Latest Forum Posts