Non-motoring > i went to the circus Miscellaneous
Thread Author: slowdown avenue Replies: 30

i went to the circus - slowdown avenue
actually had a night out. great entertainment thoroughly enjoyed by all. great value. they were named as ZYAIR.
Only thing was there was only one other person wearing a face mask amongst maybe 500 people
  i went to the circus - VxFan
>> Only thing was there was only one other person wearing a face mask

Were they behind you?

Oh, sorry, that's panto.
  i went to the circus - CGNorwich
I think the mask thing is more or less over with now.
  i went to the circus - Manatee
>> I think the mask thing is more or less over with now.

Which is inexplicable. Masking doesn't stop one doing anything, but having Covid does. And there's more about than ever.

Either people want to get it, or they don't really believe in "germs" because they can't see them.
  i went to the circus - Zero

>> Either people want to get it, or they don't really believe in "germs" because they
>> can't see them.

Most of them realise its now not going to kill them, or render them disabled long term, so they aint bothered.

If one thinks one is, then one has to take ones own precautions, which may include not going to mass gatherings.
>>its now not going to kill them, or render them disabled long term, so they aint bothered.

Probably that. But it does seem to linger. Granddaughter and my daughter had it. Not seriously ill, but daughter remains dog tired and gd has had headaches for 3 weeks now.

BA2 is causing havoc in Hong Kong. Belief is that it's causing fewer problems here because of a high level of vaccination and previous exposure.
  i went to the circus - Robin O'Reliant
I've never known so many people who have tested positive for Covid as in the last few weeks. I guess it is only a matter of time before we all get it, or maybe many of us have had it with no symptoms.
>> I've never known so many people who have tested positive for Covid as in the
>> last few weeks. I guess it is only a matter of time before we all
>> get it, or maybe many of us have had it with no symptoms.

Its getting closer to me, 4 people I see regularly now have it. generally they feel crap, it lingers quite a long time, but now longer seems to cause respiratory issues.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Mar 22 at 22:41
  i went to the circus - CGNorwich

>> If one thinks one is, then one has to take ones own precautions, which may
>> include not going to mass gatherings.
>>
Tend to agree. If you are worried just keep away from others. Wouldn’t go in a packed bar at the moment but have no problem with most places sans mask. There has to be a time when we just get on with life and use our own judgement like we so do other risks in life.
  i went to the circus - legacylad
>> >> I think the mask thing is more or less over with now.
>>
>> Which is inexplicable. Masking doesn't stop one doing anything, but having Covid does.

Course it does
Just ask BBD
:-)
  i went to the circus - sooty123
I think the mask thing is long over, see the odd person sat in their car with a mask on. That's it, long disappeared at work.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 28 Mar 22 at 22:52
  i went to the circus - Duncan
I have been following this site for the Covid statistics

www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

But of late they haven't been updating their figures. Anyone know why?
  i went to the circus - smokie
Absolutely everyone is still wearing a mask here in Portugal in shops and when moving around in bars & restaurants. No noses hanging out either.

No-one seems to be that bothered about it. We walked into a shop having genuinely forgotten to put on the masks and were pulled up within seconds of going in by an assistant.

The lady who rents us our apartment said it was absolutely rife here a few weeks back (some may remember my daughter caught it here in Feb and had to isolate before flying home).

So I suppose the message is that masks don't really help that much. In the same way you could say that the vaccine isn't that effective at preventing you catching it.

Which is all very well as long it is still only mild variant on the loose.

But even the mild variant is bad for some.
>> So I suppose the message is that masks don't really help that much. In the
>> same way you could say that the vaccine isn't that effective at preventing you catching
>> it.
>>

I don't think you can compare those two things.
  i went to the circus - smokie
I know but it's the kind of conclusions people arrive at.

Anyway masks definitely prevent you getting pregnant. I know that, as I'm a regular mask wearer and I'm not expecting. :-)
perhaps the collators died of covid?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Mar 22 at 23:32
  i went to the circus - Terry
The ONS survey published 25th Mar showed 1 in 16 were infected with Covid in the previous week.

Unsurprisingly we all know others who have had Covid in the last couple of months. It is clearly a far less serious problem - possibly because of the variant, vaccine rollout, better treatments and prior infection (wife and I both had it in November)

That hospitals are reporting high levels of Covid admissions is no surprise - it would be odd if admissions did not reflect (to some extent) current levels of infection in the community.

Deaths with Covid are running at ~150 per day and represent ~10% of all deaths - about the same as a not very good (but not bad) flu year.

Most folk now regard risks of Covid as relatively minor and see mask wearing as onerous. I largely agree with them although still choose to avoid crowded indoor areas. This is what living with it means.

Clearly some are still concerned about Covid - we should respect their wish to continue mask wearing. They can adopt whatever other precautions they feel personally justified.
  i went to the circus - martin aston
Worldometer still works for me. Maybe what you are seeing are the is the result of U.K. gov not updating at weekends anymore?
PS this is a reply to Duncan’s post of last evening but it hasn’t appeared in the right place.
Last edited by: martin aston on Tue 29 Mar 22 at 05:57
>>PS this is a reply to Duncan’s post of last evening but it hasn’t appeared in the right place.

It's in the right place. The first two of the replies in between were replies to Duncan's post, and the third one was a reply to one of those. Yours is the third direct reply to Duncan's.
If you hover your mouse pointer over the arrow at the left hand end of the thread title, it will show you which post has been replied to.

Yes, I think it is unnecessarily complicated and confusing, but that is the way the forum is constructed.
You do realise you replied to me, Duncan?

It's logical and very easy to follow if you look at the threaded view, but if the flat view was just sorted on time of post it would be easier for people who don't want to work it out. But Martin Aston's reply still wouldn't have been under Duncan's, because there were 2 earlier replies.
Yes, I do.

I think it is more obvious in 'flat' view.

Last edited by: Duncan on Tue 29 Mar 22 at 08:24
  i went to the circus - helicopter
Well I tested positive on Friday, constant cough, runny nose and streaming eyes and just feel drained of energy to do anything so spent most of the weekend asleep.Feeling a bit better now but still tired.

I have no idea where I picked it up but could have been on the plane back from Tenerife or at a meeting I went to on the Monday previously.

Visited my Brother in Law last Thursday and he has also now tested positive but has no symptoms.
  i went to the circus - sherlock47
Has anybody who 'at high risk' managed to get the antivirals? I was told by my GP that the way to get them is to test positive and ring the Covid help line (119) who then arrange direct supply.

Several local people I know have tried contacting their local GP practices after testing + and have been met with a complete lack of understanding of the process.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-care-and-treatments-for-coronavirus/treatments-for-coronavirus/
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 29 Mar 22 at 10:14
  i went to the circus - bathtub tom
>> Has anybody who 'at high risk' managed to get the antivirals?

Yes. SWMBO's CEV (Clinically Extremely Vulnerable). Reported positive test on the NHS app. Received a text saying a doctor would ring. Doctor rang and went through a long questionaire about drugs taken and taking and for what, possibility of pregnancy and lactating, etc. Said anti-virals would be arranged by local hospital. Local hospital rang and said drugs were available, pointed out we were both positive and as they probably wouldn't want us wandering around the hospital, asked what arrangements should we make for collection, told they'd be delivered. Courier left them at front door, rang bell and was seen hot-footing it down the drive. All this happened within about six hours. SWMBO moaned they made her feel awful and left a strong metallic taste.

Colleague reported positive test on NHS app, was contacted and asked if he'd take part in a trial of the anti-virals. He declined. He's not vulnerable.
>> Worldometer still works for me. Maybe what you are seeing are the is the result
>> of U.K. gov not updating at weekends anymore?
>> PS this is a reply to Duncan’s post of last evening but it hasn’t appeared
>> in the right place.
>>

Unfortunately the forum has a confusing layout so replies don't end up in a logical place.
>> Unfortunately the forum has a confusing layout so replies don't end up in a logical place.

This clearly shows that you replied to martin aston's post.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=29779&m=644692&v=e

Nothing confusing. Nothing illogical.
Just my opinion, no need to take it personally.
  i went to the circus - martin aston
Sorry to have stirred up an issue. I get it now.
>> no need to take it personally.

I didn't ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 29 Mar 22 at 13:45
  i went to the circus - MD
North Devon has the highest rate in the country I am told. My knee replacement has been postponed twice in the last 3 weeks due to lack of beds About 100 covid cases in North Devon District hospital ATM. One local school thinking of closing as all of he teachers are off with it or skiving :-)
Latest Forum Posts