Non-motoring > Newport - home of the Mole wrench Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 8

Newport - home of the Mole wrench - John Boy
Driving south into the town in the 70s or 80s, I recall an enormous hoarding with those words on it. Whenever I mention it to anyone who might know about it, I get blank looks. I googled it today expecting to find a photo. The slogan was certainly used to frank postage stamps, but that was all I found. Can anyone back up my recolllection?
 Newport - home of the Mole wrench - zippy
www.thisisnotgwent.co.uk/newport__the_home_of_the_mole_w.htm

In a letter to the Guardian 22/10/12 regarding boastful/hopeful towns (Letters, 19 October), Gareth Pritchard of Daventry wrote "I fear none come even close to the proudness displayed by the good burghers of Newport on their signpost at the entrance to the town: "Welcome to Newport – home of the mole wrench."

Though no picture of the sign.

When I was very young (infants / early juniors) I thought it very mean to have a tool to clamp moles and wondered what they had done to deserve it!
Thanks, Zippy. I feel better now. As it happens, I saw that link but didn't read it all.
 Newport - home of the Mole wrench - Dog
>>When I was very young (infants / early juniors) I thought it very mean to have a tool to clamp moles and wondered what they had done to deserve it!

I've got a King Dick.

Just saying :)
 Newport - home of the Mole wrench - Ted
I have an impressive collection of 'Moles ' I think about 8 from the C clamp for welding to 'mini moles' Probably a world record !. Not all genuine Moles, of course. A legacy of many years gas welding. The most useful now is the C clamp....great tool for pushing caliper pistons back when fittilng new pads.

Oldham had a sign on Mumps Bridge telling Yorkshire folk and other lesser humans that they were entering the 'Home of the tubular bandage ' The bridge and the railway are gone now.

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Sat 9 Jul 22 at 16:34
Time for a new hoarding?

news.sky.com/story/without-these-chips-we-are-in-big-trouble-and-britain-has-no-strategy-12656135
 Newport - home of the Mole wrench - R.P.
I remember driving past the hoarding in the early 80s
 Newport - home of the Mole wrench - R.P.
www.thisisnotgwent.co.uk/newport__the_home_of_the_mole_w.htm
 Newport - home of the Mole wrench - Fullchat
If recent events has taught us nothing else it should be that at all costs we should not be surrendering control of certain industries to overseas concerns.
Latest Forum Posts