Non-motoring > Doggie question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 50

Doggie question - Rudedog
Silly question...

There's an advert on the radio for pet insurance, one tag-line they keep saying is that 'dogs can sniff while they breath'.... is this something special?

I think I can do that...
 Doggie question - R.P.
Damn...just tried it ! :-)
 Doggie question - Manatee
Perhaps they can do circular breathing, like woodwind players, so they can still sniff while breathing out?

Although I have never seen a dog playing a saxophone.
 Doggie question - tyrednemotional
...isn't the internet wonderful...

tinyurl.com/dogsax
Don't think much of his embouchure.
 Doggie question - tyrednemotional
...that's because he's breathing, sniffing and blowing, all at the same time...
 Doggie question - MD
You can clear that up
 Doggie question - bathtub tom
I see Tim martin's supporting his dog ban stance. Good for him. The last thing I want to see in food serving areas are dogs (along with screaming kids). Guide and otherwise essential dogs excepted.

I complained recently when I saw a couple of people with dogs in a supermarket. The staff ejected them.

A family member had an 'anxiety relief dog' for their child, because it calms them down when they stroke it. It's a pet for chrissake.

I've had dogs that I've taken into pubs, they lie at my feet and ignore all that's going on around them, particularly the yappy little rats that others seem to think are acceptable.
 Doggie question - Bobby
So you are happy to ban what you yourself have previously done?
 Doggie question - legacylad
I don’t mind dogs in pubs. In bar areas if they lie at their owners feet.
I seriously dislike dogs in pubs where their owners let them sprawl wherever they want. Especially if they become a trip hazard.
I really really dislike dogs whose owners think it ok for them to move freely around the pub, moving table to table and sniffing customers at the bar.
No names but one of my local pubs has recently changed hands..the new landlord ( and brand new to the licensed trade) thinks it acceptable to let his own dog do just that.

I like dogs. A lot.
 Doggie question - Zero
There are three things I get from a young dog early. A stay, a recall and pub manners

My youngster was in a pub at 6 months, settled under a table or by my feet. One of the joys of a dog is a good walk, followed by a meal or drink in a pub.
Thank you Z.
If only all dog owners did likewise...

I was on a train a few months ago and some scruffy BFP let her mutt roam up and down the aisle. It stopped its roaming to squat in the aisle. It didn’t end well for the owner.
 Doggie question - CGNorwich
I try to avoid any establishment that describes itself as "dog friendly".
Best avoid Keighley altogether...
 Doggie question - Clk Sec
>> I try to avoid any establishment that describes itself as "dog friendly".

Likewise. Particularly in hotels and guest houses.
 Doggie question - Zero
>> I try to avoid any establishment that describes itself as "dog friendly".

Another bonus for dog owners in pubs.
>> So you are happy to ban what you yourself have previously done?

Yes and I'd never have taken a dog into an establishment that dealt food.
 Doggie question - R.P.
Our dog loves the city's pubs and bars, even the one where dogs are not accepted. He comes with us to one of the others, the owner is a dog lover, and offers free treats and a Dogs Trust charity box. Dog comes in draws admiring looks and comments from punters and staff. Goes to lie doggo under the table ready to pounce on a fallen chip etc. Bothers no-one. Importantly he's not home alone for the duration of our visit. The pub has a vigrous anti-drug policy, kick the druggie fools out and keep the dogs, way to go
 Doggie question - zippy
>> The pub has a vigrous anti-drug policy, kick the
>> druggie fools out and keep the dogs, way to go
>>

What this really means, is the pub wants to keep a monopoly on the supply of intoxicants available on its premises to the ones it sells.

It's hypocrisy.

(And I'm a hypocrite because I do beer, wine and spirits but not drugs.)
 Doggie question - Dog
>>I do beer, wine and spirits but not drugs

Alcohol is a psychoactive drug.
>> Our dog loves the city's pubs and bars, even the one where dogs are not
>> accepted. He comes with us to one of the others, the owner is a dog
>> lover, and offers free treats and a Dogs Trust charity box. Dog comes in draws
>> admiring looks and comments from punters and staff. Goes to lie doggo under the table
>> ready to pounce on a fallen chip etc. Bothers no-one. Importantly he's not home alone
>> for the duration of our visit. The pub has a vigrous anti-drug policy, kick the
>> druggie fools out and keep the dogs, way to go

That's exactly what dog bans are about. If your 'local' has a ban, then they can keep out the unacceptable varieties, but admit the well behaved mutts.

I do have a problem with them in grocery stores and establishments serving food. Would never have taken one of mine into such.
 Doggie question - BiggerBadderDave
'kick the druggie fools out'

You'll probably find, certainly in W1, that the druggies are well educated, well paid and well behaved from advertising, design, publishing, banking, press and fashion who'll just nip off for a sneaky line in the toilets then return to the table and join in the banter. Kick them all out and you'll wonder why the pub is so empty.

Don't confuse them with the drunks who are fighting outside at closing time.
 Doggie question - R.P.
Different class of druggies up here Dave !
 Doggie question - Kevin
Most of the pubs around Basingstoke accept animals. Retrievers and Ramblers in the villages and Pitbulls and Parolees in town.
Apropos dogs, a friend recently posted on SM that a man had followed him home with a bag of dog poop and told him that he should put it in the nearby bin provided by the council for the purpose rather than his (the man's) dustbin.

Friend clearly thought this was an unreasonable attitude, a bin's a bin.

I sent him this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXr76x_4KDM

I can't produce a killer argument against it but it does seem a bit off to chuck it in somebody else's bin.

AIBU?

Doggie question - Bromptonaut
I should be a bit miffed if somebody used my bin without permission.

Round here we talk with neighbours and ask/offer about space in garden waste or recycling bins.

As so much is recycled, including food waste, then nobody ever fills their landfill bin.
 Doggie question - smokie
Surely if your bin is accessible without entering your property then it's hard to argue against. If you have to wander across their front garden to reach it that is another matter.

If the offended doesn't wasn't stuff put in his bin it should at least be out of reach.

And I'm basically not a dog fan, and I believe owners should clear up their animals mess.

(Out here in Portugal the streets remind me of the UK before people became a bit more responsible. To be fair it's mostly strays, of which there are a lot, which cause the problem).
I quite like the sound of Reykavik.

In 1924, a complete ban on dogs was enforced in Reykjavík. The rules persisted for 60 years and only changed in the eighties so people can own dogs in Reykjavik if they get permission from the municipality and pay a registration fee. Reykjavik has however remained culturally a cat city,
 Doggie question - Zero
Sure we could have whip round to help you on your way?
 Doggie question - Biggles
Even if it is bagged, it still stinks. I would feel the same if dog turds landed in my bin.
>> Even if it is bagged, it still stinks. I would feel the same if dog
>> turds landed in my bin.

It's the notion of the motion. Yuk.
 Doggie question - Terry
It's probably preferable that dog mess is put in the bin (even mine or yours) than having animals defecate in the street and leave it there. A better alternative (it would make me happy if not all others) would be to stop the problem at source - no dogs!

Around here, they've the habit of bagging it and throwing the bags into trees so it hangs like Christmas decorations.
 Doggie question - smokie
Yep, queried a dog owner mate over that and apparently they'll pick it up on the way back rather than walk with it.

Yeah, right

It'd almost be better just left in the long grass
 Doggie question - sooty123
I've used a bin in passing for dog poop, a bin is a bin.
>> I've used a bin in passing for dog poop, a bin is a bin.

Well, you can't put your muck in our dustbin!
>> I've used a bin in passing for dog poop, a bin is a bin.
>>
It isn’t. Our bin is washed out and cleaned regularly. Some people’s are filthy.and smelly. I know lot of people would strongly object to others using their bin especially for dog crap. Knowing that most would object I wouldn’t do it.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 11 Oct 22 at 09:38
 Doggie question - Zero
If your bin is on the pavement (as a lot are after bin collection) its fair game.

Has to be said, I was at a dog show this weekend,two days, must have been 150 dogs there.

No poo left on the ground, and all in the poo dog bins at show closure.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 Oct 22 at 10:09
 Doggie question - VxFan
>> I know lot of people would strongly object to others using their bin especially for dog crap.

My neighbour being one of them. Even has a sign on the wall right next to his bins telling people not to put poop in them.

He challenged a woman who lives in the village one day who did it (dog poop, not hers), and she snootily replied "oh does it really matter?". His reply was "well if you don't remove it, I'll be posting it through your letter box"
Are dog poo bags biodegradable in the same way as those used in food waste caddies?
 Doggie question - henry k
>> Are dog poo bags biodegradable in the same way as those used in food waste caddies?
>>
Our council accepts plastic bags of food in waste caddies.
 Doggie question - Kevin
>I know lot of people would strongly object to others using their bin especially for dog crap.

Says he who fancies a city full of felines that bury their crap in flower beds and kid's sandpits.
 Doggie question - VxFan
Doggie, or Doggy?

I think it's the latter.
Doggie = noun
Doggy = adjective

as in "the doggie smells doggy"

is my offering.
 Doggie question - Kevin
Where's Duncan?
>> Where's Duncan?

Last visited Friday 05 August.
 Doggie question - VxFan
>> Where's Duncan?

Dogging?
Must have ‘staying’ power then….
 Doggie question - Fullchat
This conversation reminds me of this. If you cant watch it all 4.35 onwards is the relevant bit. But its all funny :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VPs3cF8vOI
Concerned for Duncan now. Is anybody in touch?
 Doggie question - VxFan
I believe Smokie has sent him an email.
Latest Forum Posts