Non-motoring > Buzzing G9 light bulbs. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - Bobby
I bought this light fitting for spare bedroom. www.diy.com/departments/colours-caelus-brushed-chrome-effect-3-lamp-ceiling-light/1703615_BQ.prd

They didn’t have any cool white bulbs in stock so I fitted it and then tried three G9 cool white bulbs from my living room light just to check it was working. Bulbs worked fine but there is a buzzing noise coming from them. There isn’t when they are in the living room light fitting.

I also tried another 3 from a floor lamp we have. Same story.

Any ideas what could be causing this. It’s a straight forward light fitting, no dimmer switches or transformers. Could it be a wiring issue? Though if it was surely it wouldn’t work?
 Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - Timeonmyhands
Loose connection in the lamp holder?
This is the only logical answer I can think of. My sparky friend is coming to do me an extra power socket at the weekend, I’ll ask him to have a look at the wiring then. Beyond my capabilities!
 Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - VxFan
Are the upstairs lights on a different circuit to the ground floor?
If so, do any of the other lights on the circuit upstairs have dimmers?

It could be the LEDs are suffering from electromagnetic (EM) hum caused by incorrect dimming or EM interference by other devices.

Goggling led light bulbs buzzing will give you loads of reasons why.
 Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - maltrap
Dimmer switch ?
 Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - Dog
It’s a straight forward light fitting, no dimmer switches or transformers

:o}
Think all on the one circuit and don’t have any dinners in the house at all.
 Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - maltrap
you must be "Hank Marvin"
 Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - tyrednemotional
...he's Buzz Lightyear....
 Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - Fursty Ferret
Cheap transformer in the fitting. LEDs need a driver designed for the purpose.

It’s disappointing that a light would come with a crap transformer, but not surprising.

You see this often with bigger stores who are prepared to source the cheapest products and sell them for the highest prices.
...though, as I recall reading it, the instructions for the light fitting specifically said it was designed for Tungsten Halogen bulbs only (and thus implicitly not suitable for LED ones).
 Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - Dog
>>the instructions for the light fitting specifically said it was designed for Tungsten Halogen bulbs only (and thus implicitly not suitable for LED ones)

'Spot' on. I replaced the halogen bulbs in my cooker hood for of those funny little 3w LED bulbs, and they flicker.

It's not the bulbs though, as they are fine in my little desk lamp.
I don’t see any reference in the instructions in the box, or on the actual box itself saying that it only takes tungsten bulbs?
...the instructions, available via the link in your first post, contain the words "Luminaire designed to be used only with self-shielded Tungsten Halogen bulbs" under the technical data.

It may not be the case on the unit you bought, but given the comment about cheap transformers above, it may be relevant.
 Buzzing G9 light bulbs. - Zero
>> I bought this light fitting for spare bedroom. www.diy.com/departments/colours-caelus-brushed-chrome-effect-3-lamp-ceiling-light/1703615_BQ.prd

really really dont see the point* now of buying light fittings designed to take bulbs, when you can buy fantastically designed fittings that fully exploit the flexibility and design scope of led's

*If I had a old property with some inherent historical design worth preserving maybe I would try and be sympathetic with lighting choices to include bulb fittings.
Latest Forum Posts