Non-motoring > Inflation - Not Fuel / Power Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 23

Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - zippy
Just a light moan! :-D

Coca Cola. I often fancy a cold can. Last year they were usually about £5 for 24 on offer. Then this year, nothing less than £7.50. Today £10 for 24!!!! Switched to own brand (when they have it) but they are priced near to what the original cola price was!

I think 24 bottles of beer are cheaper!

Writing pad. From £1 in Poundland to £2.50.

4 Alkaline AAA batteries, £1 to £1.75.

Joints of meat for roasting - no offers on legs of lamb which you could get for about £15 last year, now £24!

What are yours?
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - smokie
Airwaves chewing gum - £2 to £2.50 for a 6 pack in short order at Tesco

Milk about £1.15 for 4 pints not so long ago, now £1.55 I think. Eggs similar.

The special offer bottled beers from which I partake (especially then stronger Abbot Directors, Old Crafty Hen and King Goblin) are still 4 (500ml) for £6. I won't how long that will last.

EDIT: Juts noticed excluding power so removed that stuff
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 13 Nov 22 at 15:58
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - CGNorwich
VW ID3

Drive the Deal price last December paid £28,200

Now £36,578 for inferior spec.
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - Lygonos

Not sure what Smokie paid for his but MG5 with metallic for under £28k is a relative bargain, though they could be had for c.£23-24k last year.

Model is about to be superseded.

www.new-car-discount.com/car/mg-motor-uk/mg5-electric-estate/estate/electric/automatic/115kw-exclusive-ev-61kwh-5dr-auto/21/
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - smokie
£24.5k for the Exclusive with the expensive paint but with the NHS discount. It's just a year old now but I agreed the price in 09/2021. 1st service £44 incl a years AA membership (incl running out of fuel cover!!). Recently had it valued at £27k. Cost to change to new one is about £7k, it has some additional toys but they're not worth that much to me.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 13 Nov 22 at 17:43
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - Rudedog
If you haven't already done so I would definitely think about your choice of Christmas meat... odds are the price and availability of all types of poultry are going to be hit hard.

I've already bagged a nice piece of outdoor bread pork that was on a yellow sticker and is in the freezer... now to find a small bird.
Is bread pork the vegan alternative?
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - maltrap
Milk in Poundland 75p per pint. Bargain
Was in London yesterday and had lunch with my wife at the Savoy Griil on the Strand. A modest two course meal, I had a grilled chop and a glass of wine, came to £210. It was a nice chop though!
Special occasion CGN or just Saturday lunch whilst shopping? :-D

Mind you £210 isn't too bad really because I took the Mrs and the lad to Ashford Designer Outlet on Saturday and we had a Wagamama lunch and I didn't get any change from £90 - for fast food!

Last edited by: zippy on Sun 13 Nov 22 at 20:38
I feel the need to add, I am certainly not a "designer brand" wearer. Cotton Traders just about does me.
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - legacylad
Tuesday night I joined friends at La Brisa, Teulada. A family owned restaurant & bar adjacent to the €8m auditorium ( thank you German tax payers). It’s a standing joke amongst the locals.

Tapas starters, followed by an extensive choice of 3 courses... I had calamari, chicken breast with all the trimmings then a perfect Creme brûlée. Coffee. Full decanter of dessert wine ..drink as much as you want. 2 bottles of white or red between 4, and should you finish those they bring more wine free of charge.
€17. Place was almost full, as usual.only a few miles inland, and such good value I left €20.
The locals don’t tip, and nor do my Spanish resident friends who raised eyebrows at my generous €3.
Low overheads, great friendly atmosphere of workers, tourists and elderly Spanish, just arriving as we left.
Highly recommended should you be in the area. And have a nominated driver.
A bit of a treat really. Thought we’d have a trip to London for the weekend. Nice hotel, jazz cruise on the river on Friday night and a stroll around the West End followed by lunch at the Savoy yesterday. A very pleasant weekend.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 13 Nov 22 at 22:40
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - Runfer D'Hills
For most of my life I’ve worked in an environment that has included a lot of culinary excess. Launch parties, corporate functions, client entertaining and all that nefarious nonsense.
I’ve eaten ludicrously expensive food and drunk equally preposterously priced booze on countless occasions. In the company mainly, of some of the most appalling human beings you could imagine.
I won’t deny that occasionally, it has by default introduced me to some interesting new experiences, but in truth I fail to see the value in most of it.
I suppose I’d rather spend my own time and money on doing things that seem a bit more entertaining ( to me anyway) than filling my face with overpriced food and drink.
Each to their own etc of course. It must attract some or it wouldn’t exist.
Not sure I would describe it indulge in filling my face with overpriced food an drink but just very occasionally it is nice to indulge in a treat, just to do something different on the spur of the moment.

I guess if you regularly lunch ar the Savoy it might possibly become tedious.
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - Runfer D'Hills
Don’t get me wrong, I get it that some people enjoy such things. I don’t particularly, but I can see that others do and take pleasure in it. More than fair enough.
To me though it makes about as much sense as paying a lot of money to watch men kick a ball, entertaining to some no doubt, and heavily evidenced, but just not my thing.
Our most memorable meals are usually picnics eaten while sitting on the “back step” of our estate car in some remote location after a bike ride.
Horses and courses sort of thing I suppose.
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - Manatee
I'm just too tight to enjoy very expensive food. I'm also not impressed by having food mucked about with too much.

I have a £100 voucher for the local pretentious restaurant. It would pay for most of lunch for two. I'll make sure it's used, probably by wife and son, or wife and a friend.

Last night I made meat and potato pie, with carrots, peas and gravy. I enjoyed it tremendously. Decent fish and chips is unbeatable.

Sorry. Off topic.

>>Last night I made meat and potato pie...

A couple of years ago Mrs Z made the most amazing pie and promptly lost the recipe.

(She is a far better cook than I am).

The kids and I have been mourning its loss ever since!
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - bathtub tom
Had a venison casserole last night. Last week we had a couple of fillet steaks that cost £10.
Fish-n-chips cost £13 in a local chippy.

You can eat very well if you cook it yourself.

Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - Kevin
We were in Harrods food hall a while ago buying some biltong. In the booze section there are a couple of shelves holding dusty old bottles tucked away in a corner. One of the bottles had just a handwritten sticky label on it saying "Believed to be a XXX Port from Year YYYY - £545"
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - BiggerBadderDave
My ex-wife worked in the sales (advertising space) for one of the national dailies. Her experiences were much like Runfer's. All the best London restaurants, gifts and goodie bags, etc.

One that sticks in my mind was when she ordered a soup sprinkled over with gold flakes at £100 a bowl. And that was 25 years ago.
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - legacylad
I’m a beer drinker, rarely touching wine, but indulge when in Spain, or anywhere else where it’s less than a fiver a bottle.
Recently discovered something called Albariño in Lidl..€4.49 bottle....over our usual bottle price limit but I enjoyed it so didn’t care.

Mercadona sell boquerones...€4.95 kilo ( fresh unsalted anchovy) so I’d buy 500g, top n tail, rinse, roll in flour, shallow fry in olive oil for a few mins, remove excess oil on kitchen roll, serve crispy drenched with freshly squeezed lemon, accompanied by crusty bread and salted butter, with a few cans of cold beer or a large glass of Albariño. Serves 3 or 4.
Not everyone likes fish. Or the smell they leave after frying...but my apartment, my rules.

That’s about as upmarket as my culinary tastes get. Dirt cheap, tasty lunch which takes less than 15 mins to prep.
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - neiltoo
Boquerones

Mmmm
 Inflation - Not Fuel / Power - Fursty Ferret
I wonder how much of an impact the now standard clauses in utility / phone contracts of "RPI + 4%" will have on inflation. Seems to me that it directly drives the problem.
Latest Forum Posts