Non-motoring > Utility markings Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 12

Utility markings - bathtub tom
I live opposite a junction. The pavements at each corner have NSP and an X in white paint appear on them. I'll no doubt find out what it means eventually, but I'm curious to know now.
 Utility markings - Bobby
No idea what it stands for but is the pavement kerb currently lowered for wheelchairs etc?
 Utility markings - Crankcase
No Standing or Parking? Perhaps a new restriction is afoot.
 Utility markings - Dog
Ninja Sex Party?
 Utility markings - sooty123
Network service provider?
 Utility markings - tyrednemotional
...Nuclear Strike Position...?
 Utility markings - smokie
Non Sine Periculo maybe?
 Utility markings - Manatee
Something 'sensory paving'? The stuff with lumps or ridges for the visually impaired. Although I think it's actually called tactile paving.
 Utility markings - Kevin
Manatee's on the right track.

I think it's Non-Slip-Paving. They built some 'retirement' homes next to our local golf course and the pavements around there are a bit darker than usual. I think it's to reduce antisocial behaviour by stopping them doing burnouts on their mobility machines.
I think some of you may be on the ball here with dropped kerbs and tactile paving. Other corners within a few hundred yards have this and there's a McCarthy Stone complex within a couple of hundred yards.
There's nothing else using the road, except for those noisy, mobility scooters!
 Utility markings - Ted

I tripped over one of those knobbles approaching a pelican crossing in Altrincham outside the station. A busy road, there was a bus just about to pass at about 20 mph.

If I hadn't been walking parallel to the kerb I would have gone straight under it. As it was, I went flat on my face. An elderly gentleman helped me to get up and saw me across the road when the lights changed.

Ted
 Utility markings - CGNorwich
It’s called tactile paving. The sort you get at traffic lights is blister pattern, a similar but staggered pattern is used on railway and tram platforms. Corduroy pattern is used to indicate a hazard ahead.

Wherever possible blister paving should not extend the full width of the footpath so that it does not become a hazard to those with foot problems such as arthritis
'No parking on the verge or footpath' signs have been put up. I was going to take a picture, as the contractors were parked on the footpath, probably wouldn't have appreciated the irony and may have thumped me.
Of the four entrances to the road, there are now signs up at two of them. I've emailed my local councillor, who's fobbed off my questions.
So anyone entering the road have a defence if parking on the pavement!

Joined up thinking?
Latest Forum Posts