Non-motoring > Got wind? Lay a cable.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 5

Got wind? Lay a cable.... - smokie
Here's an interesting and very readable article on wind power in the UK, why it has to be turned off frequently at great cost (£9.2m on 25 Dec 2022 alone, £33m for May 23)), and what can be done to address this.

This link shows how much is being discarded due to transmission constraints. You can put in the date of your choice to see that day and that month.

wind-curtailment-app-ahq7fucdyq-lz.a.run.app/

This is the detailed explainer.

archy.deberker.com/the-uk-is-wasting-a-lot-of-wind-power/

Got wind? Lay a cable.... - Bobby
Really interesting article Smokie.

Bring north of the border, can’t help but think we could do better for ourselves with this asset….. :)
 Got wind? Lay a cable.... - sooty123
Bit of an odd article, lots of info without saying much. No context, hard for the reader to say how much of a problem it is.
Is 1 or 50 % of wind power annually being wasted?

Looking at the bottom chart it doesn't look much.
"At times the UK was wasting as much wind power as we were using.

"On Christmas day, we spent £9.2m on curtailment costs, curtailing a total of 76.18 GWh. That’s enough electricity to power ~11’000 households for a year."

In May 2023 347 GWh were curtailed at a cost of £97.3m. Seems a bit of a wasteful system until they beef it up somewhat, and at some considerable cost (to us, I guess).
 Got wind? Lay a cable.... - sooty123
Exactly, meaningless. 'At times' for how long, a second/minute/hour a year?

Was may 23 typical, a low point, high point etc? How much is 97m in comparison to the total amount spent on curtailment or the amount spent in total on electricity in may 23?

Like i said meaningless without context.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 2 Jun 23 at 18:44
Not even interesting? Whatever... I learnt from it
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 2 Jun 23 at 19:08
Latest Forum Posts