Non-motoring > New Fridge freezer advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 19

New Fridge freezer advice - Bobby
I may well be forced into replacing my faulty Samsung "American Style" fridge freezer with a new one. As I have no interest in FF normally I don't know where to start.

What I do know is that my existing FF is a Samsung, no water or ice dispenser (other than a wee tray and ice holder set up that sits on the top shelf) as when I bought this 13 years ago, the FF of that time lost huge amounts of space to water and ice dispensers.

Add in to this that I am happy with the temp of the water that comes out our tap anyway. My existing unit is 91cm wide, 178cm height and 67cm depth, split vertically prob 40/60 freezer fridge.

I note that the efficiency ratings have all changed and majority now seem to be D at the best but some even worse (have read the explanations for that).

I would be tempted to try and get separate fridge/freezer to sit side by side but as I ony have available space of about 95cm in total I don't think that will be possible.

Anyone bought one recently and have anything to chip in? What are the better makes ? Beko any good? Other than Argos / Currys and AO where else should I be looking?
 New Fridge freezer advice - Ted

We had to replace ours a couple of years ago.

We have an extremely good retailer locally and they recommended a Montpellier. It seems very reliable and well made. They fit and remove as well.

I decided to fit it myself, The old one was an integrated 50/50 one. The Montpellier isn't. I only found out when I fitted the outer doors. I had to lift the appliance about 3" to get the line between the fridge and the freezer to line up with the gap between the outer doors. Not too easy when you have to do it alone but I managed with some levers and wedges. The top fridge is a little too high for my midget 5'2" wife but she seems to cope well.

Ted
 New Fridge freezer advice - smokie
Are you looking to replace with an American style?

I replaced my garage fridge freezer (not American) last Dec. I was in a bit of a rush and Marks Electrical were the only ones with a reasonably short delivery time - and weren't badly priced. I paid them to take away the old one. It's a Beko and seems fine. I went for a Beko based partly on price but also we have a Beko fridge in the kitchen which has been fine for a few years.
I am looking to replace with an upright side by side fridge freezer off around 90cm wide and around 170cm high ie. Similar to the one we have. Preferably in stainless steel to match other appliances.
Not sure what defines “American Style” though?
 New Fridge freezer advice - legacylad

>> Not sure what defines “American Style” though?
>>
One that’s far larger than what you actually need :-)
 New Fridge freezer advice - Falkirk Bairn
Our sons have American style fridge freezers - lots of fridge but miserly freezers.
We had a separate fridge and freezers in 1991, about 120cms tall - lasted 25 years.
Replaced by 2 twin Samsung models standalone fridge and freezer - magic - not cheap even at Costco - was about £1300 5/6 years back. Bonus no defrosting required!!
 New Fridge freezer advice - bathtub tom
No need to pay to have fridges and freezers removed if they're working.
When we moved last year we had a very old under counter fridge and chest freezer that were kept in the garage. I thought they were worthless and was wondering how to get them to the tip, but put the fridge on freecycle and was overwhelmed with folk wanting it. So I put the freezer on marketplace for £25 - it was snapped up!
The fridge freezer wasn't working, that's why I swapped it :-)

I also changed the small chest freezer last year (purely because being a 1986 one it was comparatively very expensive to run) and had the company take away the old one. The new one would pay for itself in about a year IIRC. Doesn't seem fair to shift that cost onto someone who probably can't really afford to run it.

Most of my surplus stuff has been given away on Freegle over the past couple of years... I suppose I'm lucky I can afford it but the hassle and effort involved in some sales for a small return put me right off selling on eBay and the like.

New Fridge freezer advice - zippy
We have a Beko in the garage. Purchased at the start of lockdown and it's been fine. Got it because it is one of the few brands that make freezers rated for garage use.

Re Marks, tried to buy a range cooker from them in late 2021. The refused to delivery it because of the steps that lead up to the house and the 5 steps to the living level of the house. We had explained this to them and provided photos.

We called a Euronics dealer two towns away and they smashed the Marks price for the same model including a 5 year warranty and delivered without fuss. Also, they charged for installation the same as Marks but refunded it without question when they saw that our gas pipework needed bringing up to spec, so I would strongly recommend them.

If you are buying from a major retailer, do you know any friends with a blue light card or employer based discount scheme that might get you a few percent off?
 New Fridge freezer advice - R.P.
Euronics are superb
 New Fridge freezer advice - Runfer D'Hills
>> Euronics are superb
>>

I have all their albums…
Nipped into Currys yestersy to have a look at what they actually have in stock.
Ironically our FF was bought from this exact Currys as an ex display model with some dings on it. Yesterday the same branch has an ex display LG with a few dings and reduced from £1049 to £786 as a result.
Also liked the idea of the FF that have 2 sets of double doors and therefore the fridge is the full top half of the unit and gives more scope for space and bigger items.
Also like the unplumbed units that have water dispensers and / or ice dispensers though I think of these as possibly problematic items over a longer term. (anyway I am quite happy drinking water straight from the tap, always cool enough for me).
One of the Beko versions has a discrete 2 litre water dispenser where the water tank is on the fridge door and water dispenser obviously other side. Only takes 2 litres of water but looks to me to be maintenace free and gravity fed which shouldn't lead to too many problems ongoing.

Decisions decisions decisions.
 New Fridge freezer advice - Bromptonaut
The Bosch 50/50 FF we bought in 1998 when moving to present house was, by this year, starting to break up inside as well as costing a lot to run etc. Difficult to find a direct replacement.

We got a Beko in the end but I'm not sure how long it will last. Not one of their range that's suitable for a garage and has a warning about min temperature below which it cannot do its job.

OK when we're at home but if we were away in winter with the heating in not much more than frost protection mode I'd be having a squeaky bum moment in a cold snap...
 New Fridge freezer advice - Fullchat
We have a Beko upright freezer which is suitable for garages.
 New Fridge freezer advice - Bromptonaut
>> We have a Beko upright freezer which is suitable for garages.

I suspect the thing with low temperature is, at least in part, fridge freezers. That said, ISTR we had a potential issue when the kids were little/at home and wanting to keep lots of food options/storage open with extra freezer space in the garage.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 15 Jun 23 at 00:31
Yes, I don't get why the two of us need a medium size chest freezer then needed a FF when the old one expired last year, rather than just a garage fridge. Still, who am I to question?

I have a Beko fridge with the same water dispenser you mention. Don't use it much but it's pleasant enough when I do.
 New Fridge freezer advice - legacylad
I/we never had a chest freezer...didn’t see the point unless you are buying half a lamb or suchlike, and I’m always wary of freezing meat for too long.

A retired couple I know have an under counter larder fridge, and two under counter freezers, both full to overflowing. My small 15yo fridge freezer is never more than half full, and being a retired single bloke I do a small food shop alternate days, normally on the way home from the pub...

Most of my freezer compartment is taken up with M & S choc au pain packs which I buy in bulk, and frozen gel packs to apply to bodily parts. And frozen peas and oven chips, which are de rigeur for us singletons.

New Fridge freezer advice - bathtub tom
>>OK when we're at home but if we were away in winter with the heating in not much more >>than frost protection mode I'd be having a squeaky bum moment in a cold snap...

I was looking through my home insurance and was surprised to see a requirement for the heating to be set at 12C when unoccupied. My t/stat maintains 5C in holiday mode. Do they know something I don't?
 New Fridge freezer advice - CGNorwich
5C in the living room might equate to freezing point in the loft space. Erring on the safe side I guess. I do normally leave mine around 12 when away in the winter. Once a house get really cold it takes a long while to warm up again and you can get condensation problems.
Beko FF ordered!
Deliver Monday.
Latest Forum Posts