Non-motoring > Cricket Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 11

Cricket - Bobby
Can someone explain to me, in football terms so that I might understand, what all the furore over the cricket was yesterday?
 Cricket - sooty123
I'm not sure there is, perhaps putting one in the net when i player is down injured is perhaps the closest.

It's just because it's the ashes, it's happened before it'll happen again.
 Cricket - Zero
>> Can someone explain to me, in football terms so that I might understand, what all
>> the furore over the cricket was yesterday?

The English batsman thought the ball had been called dead after it passed him. He walked out of his crease, and the Aussies threw the ball and broke his wicket meaning he was out. All perfectly legal within the rules.

Now clearly the batsman thought the ball was dead, several of the Aussies did as well, except the quick witted ones. The English argument (from some) was that this wasn't within the spirit and sportsmanship of the rules.

All tosh. When it comes to an ashes test match, there is no spirit involved, results have meaning. The English have done the same to the Aussies in the past, and worse. The bodyline tour killed sportsmanship decades ago.
 Cricket - CGNorwich
The argument that it was unsporting was of course part of the gamesmanship.
 Cricket - Bobby
Ah, so could kind of be summed up with “Play to the referees whistle” type thing?
Ball is still in play until the ref says otherwise?
 Cricket - Zero
>> Ah, so could kind of be summed up with “Play to the referees whistle” type
>> thing?
>> Ball is still in play until the ref says otherwise?

Indeed
 Cricket - Zero
>> The argument that it was unsporting was of course part of the gamesmanship.

Indeed, its just a milder form of "sledging"

bleacherreport.com/articles/1742234-the-top-10-greatest-cricket-sledges-of-all-time
 Cricket - Biggles
The equivalent would be kicking the ball out of play because one of your players is injured. On the restart, the opposition throw in towards the other goal but rather than leaving the ball for the other team, one of their players sprints towards it and scores a goal.
Last edited by: Biggles on Mon 3 Jul 23 at 17:55
 Cricket - Zero
Nah, thats a far more serious unsportsman like action. Mind you, its happened.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 3 Jul 23 at 18:34
 Cricket - Terry
Cricket players think they are "gentlemen" and should behave as such, footballers are perceived by many as mindless thugs who used to prefer boot on opposing shin rather than ball.

This is of course entirely unfair to footballers who, despite being grossly overpaid, occasionally do the very decent.

Cricket would deny they are an elitist sport - but the minimum requirement for a decent game of cricket is a properly prepared pitch with several acres of outfield carefully tended by time served groundsmen. All this costs a lot - private schools dominate.

Football needs but a ball and a couple of carefully positioned markers for the goal.

Thus failing to behave by gentlemen renders cricketers uncouth oiks not fit to participate in the sport. Hence the boos and general distain for the action of the Aussies - which is also "ungentlemanly"
 Cricket - tyrednemotional
...the village cricket ground is just behind us, and we often walk past on our evening stroll.

Last night there was a match on (it looked like a couple of scratch sides, albeit everyone in whites), and I kid you not, there was a middle-aged man with but one leg and two crutches fielding.

I joked with SWMBO that he was "Short Leg" (though he was actually at Gully). A short-sighted bowler might well have mistaken him for the wicket!
 Cricket - bathtub tom
I suspect the Aussies will have to put up with some pretty 'unsportsmanlike' behaviour when they go in to bat, particularly the bowling to their wicket keeper.
Latest Forum Posts