Non-motoring > They don't make them..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 1

They don't make them..... - tyrednemotional
...like they used to.

I've just discovered that my Mountfield Rotary Petrol mower has partially rusted through.

It's almost 37 years to the day that I bought it (just after moving here).

I mean, what kind of lifespan is that!

:-(
 They don't make them..... - zippy
That's good going.

Problem is they make things that are almost unfixable nowadays (e.g. Zero's expensive camera) or have software in them that requires the manufacture to still be around for it to work (the device calls home).

It would be a shift to the good of the planet if modern things were easier to fix or had longer lives or options re support on going.

*www.thedrive.com/news/41493/teslas-16000-quote-for-a-700-fix-is-why-right-to-repair-matters

Also when at my previous employer, we scrapped a perfectly good Wang mini computer because the manufacturer would no longer support it. The cost to us was astronomic. The machine was working, reliably, but it was mission critical and if they didn't supply a replacement part then we'd be stuffed.

I have devices that I have wanted to repair but can't get the parts (this laptop I'm using now needs a new battery and the OEM no longer has the part). The battery is sealed in the machine - remember when they were just slotted in to place? There are other bits and bobs where the replacement parts are so expensive that it's a risk to repair, I know stocking and logistics plays a part in the costs of spares, but one item, I priced up with major spares equating to about 5x the price of a new unit.
Latest Forum Posts