Non-motoring > Caravan pitch pricing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 19

Caravan pitch pricing - legacylad
Friend of mine took the caravan to Norfolk today....an inland site, with virtually no facilities. There’s an electric hook up, and a cold water tap. That’s it.
No toilet or showers.
Sent a photo of their ‘stand alone’ toilet tent pitched next to their tiny Pod caravan.
We had better facilities on our Scout camps 50 years ago.
I can rough it wild camping with the best of them, but that normally entails a cracking view and is free.
It’s costing £27 a night. Strewth.
 Caravan pitch pricing - Zero
Heys paying for the hookup. Dunno why he needs it in summer.
 Caravan pitch pricing - bathtub tom
>> Heys paying for the hookup. Dunno why he needs it in summer.

So they can watch the telly?
 Caravan pitch pricing - sooty123
Perhaps run a fridge?
 Caravan pitch pricing - legacylad
Do you need hook ups for a fridge ?
I’ve never had a caravan or motor home and thought these things were gas powered.

No such things in a tarp tent :-)
I'm not sure tbh, not got a caravan. I assume some run off electricity
 Caravan pitch pricing - Bromptonaut
>> Do you need hook ups for a fridge ?
>> I’ve never had a caravan or motor home and thought these things were gas powered.
>>

Most fridges in recent 'vans are three way. On site they'll run off either gas or mains. While towing they take a 12 volt supply from the car, but only if the engine is running.
 Caravan pitch pricing - Ted

Fridge will run on gas, Leccie only if hooked up to car with engine running.

Ted
No 240 volt setting for use on an EHU?
 Caravan pitch pricing - CGNorwich
Surely worth it to stay in glorious Norfolk, gem of the English countryside.
 Caravan pitch pricing - zippy
£27 a night!

I remember when Travel Inns were £29.99 a night - almost anywhere!

Mumble, grumble, Monty Phyton's family in a shoe box sketch! :-D
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 7 Jul 23 at 10:01
I'm doing a week off grid at the end of the month in Norfuk. All I need is a nearby water tap. Fridge* runs off gas, ditto hot water. Tele is 12 volts off leisure battery charged by solar panel.

£10 a night.

*full of beer, tins of tonic and ice cubes.

>> I remember when Travel Inns were £29.99 a night - almost anywhere!

Want to go to a dog show in Devon end of August. Mrs Z has the caravan booked so I checked out a travel lodge nearby

150 quid a night with two dogs!!!!!!!
>> 150 quid a night with two dogs!!!!!!!

We were charged a similar amount in Fort William and that without dogs.

Late booking; we had to re-route after Cal Mac redeployed the South Uist ferry to Islay.
Priced to the market, they know all these dog owners have pots of money ;)
 Caravan pitch pricing - zippy
>> 150 quid a night with two dogs!!!!!!!
>>

Ouch - that wuff!

:-D
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 7 Jul 23 at 11:19
 Caravan pitch pricing - BiggerBadderDave
'150 quid a night with two dogs'

Sounds like a rough brothel. I've paid a lot more that that.
 Caravan pitch pricing - tyrednemotional
..Covid, accompanied by the rise in the "van-life" culture, and staycations involving traditional camping, then followed by the energy price crisis, have all led to some significant "price-gouging".

Whilst, at least for a while, this might continue, especially in the more popular areas and in high-season, there are signs that cost is becoming an issue, and some businesses look like they are/will be catching a cold.

This will only be exacerbated by the steady return of the hoi polloi to their previous package-holiday habits.

Both the major caravan clubs in the UK have hiked their prices, but have seen an accompanying fall-off in occupancy, and are re-thinking. My recent stay in Sussex, for instance, attracted a 25% discount on entry of a code, even for a last-minute booking. (and it wasn't much over £20 pn even with electricity, hard standing and showers/toilets, etc.) The less popular club sites are regularly now reported as being quieter than usual.

I've also recently had 4 nights at Redcar Rugby Club (a pop-up site run by one of the major clubs) for £12 per night with toilets/showers/bar available for use. No electricity, though, but I can easily get by for a week or so without.

Touring in May it was obvious that prices have also risen on the Continent. Both France and Germany were a mark up on previous years, albeit from a rather lower starting base. Given the availability of official motorhome stopovers, though, it's still much cheaper and easier than the UK.

Somewhere such as this (you can see the motorhome) at the Halte Fluviale at Mouzon provides a pleasant stopover for €8 pn in a hedged hard-standing, electricity, water and disposal included, showers and toilets when the "Capitainerie" is open, and a minutes walk to the attractive village centre shops, bars, restaurants. Cycling along the Meuse to Sedan, and good walking round about.

goo.gl/maps/y48muPToGdX2drmr9

TBF, for us it isn't a cost thing. Such locations make touring easy (no booking, if full just have a fall-back), access to towns/villages simple, and encourage us to explore, often a bit more off the beaten track.
CAMC Wyatts Covert, our usual go to for a short notice break is full on Sunday.

Alternative suggested near Welwyn GC, £127 for 4 nights - Thu - Mon inclusive.
 Caravan pitch pricing - Dave_
Pretty much all UK accommodation has doubled in price since the virus travel restrictions and the increased hassle of crossing borders. We paid £105 for three nights in Devon last month, on a CL with EHU but not much else.
Latest Forum Posts