Non-motoring > I need a dog deterrent Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 10

I need a dog deterrent - henry k
I want something simple and cheap to deter dogs using my front garden as a toilet.
I have read a list of foods that are a NO NO so onions, chocolate etc will not be used but does pepper work ?
Some of the deterrents are far from cheap.
have you had a good result from any of the products on sale ?

Some lovely local person thinks it is OK to let their dog off the lead so it can frequently wander into my front garden early in the morning and leave a pile of carp for me to deal with.
We have no front gates and a low brick wall.
 I need a dog deterrent - bathtub tom
When I had a similar problem, but mainly with cats, I heard about chopping up orange peel into small strips and scattering around the affected area. Apparently, they don't like a different smell. It sort of worked and you got a nice scent when cutting the grass.
 I need a dog deterrent - Zero
Not much works reliably, shooing the owner is the only cure. I know someone who imported lion poop, he found out someone down the road had a Rhodesian ridgeback, they hunt lion.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 7 Jul 23 at 12:20
 I need a dog deterrent - smokie
Presume it's not foxes?
 I need a dog deterrent - Bromptonaut
The electric, ie battery powered, things seem to stop cats from using bits of my garden as a public convenience. Don't know if they work for dogs.

FWIW they never stopped what I assumed to be a Fox leaving its calling card in exactly the same place on my front lawn on a regular basis.

If you know the dog/its owner I'd suggest picking up the poop in a bag and handing it to them upon their return from 'walkies' with a message along the lines of 'yours I believe'.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 7 Jul 23 at 12:56
 I need a dog deterrent - Biggles
Putting it through their letter box would be better, especially just after they have gone on holiday.
 I need a dog deterrent - Dog
One of our dogs used to eat poo when he was a pup.

Cheap Wilko mouthwash sprayed on poo stopped him doing it.

You could try sprinkling/spaying same on your garden.

Dunno how it would affect the flora/grass though.
 I need a dog deterrent - Fullchat
4.38 onwards. But its all worth a watch:)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VPs3cF8vOI
 I need a dog deterrent - VxFan
>> 4.38 onwards. But its all worth a watch:)

:o)
 I need a dog deterrent - VxFan
How about installing a cheap CCTV camera to catch the culprit?

I believe you can then report them for not cleaning up after their dog and they will receive a fine.
 I need a dog deterrent - legacylad
Late 90s I was renting a property. Regularly a pile of poo outside my drive gates which wasn’t there when I went to bed.
So I got up early, saw the culprit, and followed him home keeping my distance. The next time it happened I was out of my place like a flash, and asked him to pick it up with the poo bag I gave him, and requested he take it home to number 45 xyz avenue, so he knew I knew where he lived.

I assume he changed his dog walking route as a result because it didn’t happen again. I didn’t want it to become confrontational as he was an ignorant thicko. And it was Keighley ( View Road)
Latest Forum Posts