Non-motoring > Dropped Kerbs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 6

Dropped Kerbs - Bromptonaut
Something came up in another place I contribute that I though might interest folks here.

Couple bought a house. House has a driveway and they were assured that all appropriate permissions were in place for dropped kerb etc. Seems the assurance was given by the vendor personally, presumably as part of those endless questionnaires that house sales generate.

Their conveyancer didn't verify the information with the Council.

Council have now put a parking bay over the couple's drive and, when challenged, said tough luck, we never authorised a dropped kerb and any right to cross the pavement.

Can damages be claimed and if so from who?
 Dropped Kerbs - zippy
If it's in writing from the vendor, go after the vendor.
 Dropped Kerbs - sooty123
Probably the solicitor, the surveys the home owners fills in are all 'to the best of my knowledge' apart from what they are leaving I'd treat the rest as bog roll.

Not sure what they could claim, a monetary value on the lack of a dropped kerb might be difficult to do.

Bit weird to have a driveway but no dropped kerb.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 16 Oct 23 at 18:25
 Dropped Kerbs - Bromptonaut
>> Bit weird to have a driveway but no dropped kerb.

I would have thought that too. If you've got a driveway then the kerb's dropped and you can cross the pavement to access it. That's been the case in places I've lived except for a couple of old pre WW1 terraces with no space to think of putting a drive.

My son's place in Liverpool is a former Council semi built between the wars and before cars, drives and garages were a thing. His place and a lot of those adjoining have had drives added. But no dropped kerb and, I suspect, no right to cross the pavement.

Some councils, London Boroughs at the fore, are clamping down and stopping up drives with no permission and refusing to give pemission when it's sought.

As is obvious, off road parking is worth a lot in these places.

That's the OP's gripe in the place I mention. Thought they had parking and now not...
 Dropped Kerbs - sooty123
I bet then its a front garden converted into a parking space, the previous owner just bumped up the kerb.
 Dropped Kerbs - bathtub tom
Dropped kerbs ain't cheap and AFAIU, if there isn't one then there's nothing to stop any utilities blocking it.
Came across several cases in a previous life, where telegraph poles were stuck across a driveway and there was nothing the house owner could do about it.

My current dropped kerb is only a few inches wider than my car's track (suspect it was designed for an Austin 7, like the garage). I need to sort it out.
 Dropped Kerbs - Ted

We never had a dropped kerb but the kerbstones had dropped anyway over the years. Me reversing a trailer with various Rolls Royces on it didn't help !

They put new pavements in a few years ago and residents were given the option by the workmen as they progressed. My gateway is about 10ft wide and they did it to match. The house opposite had one for their path and asked for another further along for a projected second drive. They obliged happily. The second drive isn't there yet.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts