Non-motoring > This weeks work rants.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 10

This weeks work rants.... - zippy
Our laptop screen savers report how long the screen is idle for to management. Some colleagues have been hauled to bosses for having the screensavers on for an hour or so because they have been in meetings. Can't turn the laptops off either because up/ down time is recorded.

Printing is banned. Can't print documents any more. Try comparing two 100 page contracts side by side on a 14 inch laptop screen.

.**********

I wrote 3 pages on why the business would be in administration in 6 months with supporting calculations and forecasts. The account was run by someone in another office.

Guess who got praise. Guess who was right. We're writing off £600k. Grrrr.
 This weeks work rants.... - Ted

Time you got another job Zips !

Gardening, driving, painting ?

Ted
 This weeks work rants.... - tyrednemotional
...I'm surprised you didn't suggest the police, Ted... ;-)
 This weeks work rants.... - smokie
I presume we've all seen that Microsoft's new product can attend meetings for you, and provide a summary at the end etc?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67103536
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 22 Oct 23 at 17:01
 This weeks work rants.... - Zero

>>Some colleagues have been hauled to bosses for having the screensavers on for an hour or so because they have been in meetings

Hey Boss, you know this hours rollocking is going to add more screensaver time?
 This weeks work rants.... - VxFan
>> Some colleagues have been hauled to bosses for having the screensavers on for an hour or so because they have been in meetings.

A simple way around this it to run a short video on repeat. Note however, it will keep your PC active and any automatic password protection after 'x' minutes won't kick in.

This weeks work rants.... - Manatee
Great management technique, treating highly skilled employees with significant responsibilities like unruly children.

The business will pay in the end.
 This weeks work rants.... - Zero
>> Great management technique, treating highly skilled employees with significant responsibilities like unruly children.
>>
>> The business will pay in the end.

As mark, late of this boro, said often. managers manage the smallest thing they can measure and understand.
 This weeks work rants.... - Terry
The first IT revolution replaced repetitive tasks - both clerical and, with appropriate machinery, industrial and manufacturing tasks.

The second IT revolution seems likely to replace many "professional" jobs with AI - lawyers, accountants, health diagnostics etc.

The jobs once regarded as the preserve of a secondary modern education seem likely to be held in much higher regard in future - building trades, plumbers, electricians etc. They need to combine both physical ability with judgement to apply effective solutions.

Were I still working (finance and business management) I would seriously be reviewing my work options - possibly a fundamental career change to something more sustainable.

That a lot of companies seek to measure personal performance is understandable - that they value the trivial (because it can be measured) over the important (which often cannot), evidences a lack of judgement on their part.
 This weeks work rants.... - bathtub tom
When I was still working, my employer installed something similar (over twenty years ago), but we had to enable it on individual work stations for it to be effective - I declined.

When asked why I hadn't, I replied that it wasn't in my contract. Colleagues who had enabled it waited with bated breath to see what would happen to me - nothing did and nothing was ever said. Perhaps I was a stroppy employee?
 This weeks work rants.... - Falkirk Bairn
30 years ago the company I worked for started watching logons and lines on the online diaries.
New manager (well, he had the title) pulled me up about coming into work 9.15 to 9.30 rather than 9am many days in the previous month.

On a Thursday, around 9.15 mobile rang and I was, at that point 50 yards from the office. I said I would phone him back in 5 minutes.

Duly phoned him and I was taken to task on the figures collated by somebody in admin.
I agreed I was late in most days that I was in the office.

HOWEVER, I jumped on the current week.
Monday - I left home at 5.30am to catch 6.30 flight for the "Monthly Meeting" and got home at 8.30pm.
Tuesday - In office 9.15/9.30 catching up with Friday/Monday business - left office at 6pm (5.30 finish)
Wednesday- Left home 6am - off to Aberdeen - 3 customers and caught 1 extra on the way back down - home at 7.00 ish

Thursday & Friday was therefore overtime as I had worked/travelled for roughly 37 hours in 3 days

Never heard another word on the matter.

Latest Forum Posts